PDA

View Full Version : Any software to clean the disk?

ricky1206
14th September 2004, 10:00 PM
Over the last few days, I tried a lot of softwares for my new PB. download, install, trash, delete......Just feel I didn't clean it up when uninstall a software.

So is there any software that can find out the useless files and clean it up? Thanks!

decryption
14th September 2004, 10:50 PM
What kind of files do you think are left?
Remember, this isn't Windows, applications are self contained witin their own directory within the Applications directory. Once they're deleted from there, they're gone as well as their support files.

ricky1206
15th September 2004, 12:47 AM
-_-!! I see!!

But my library/preference just gets bigger and bigger.

kim jong il
15th September 2004, 05:59 AM
Hey ricky PLEASE do not be concerned. I have piles of junk installed on my machines and have deleted more than I can really remember. The two primary directories to contain 'Library': ~/Library and ~/System/Library come in at 1.06 GB and 1.0 GB (newish system install) and 3.36 GB and 1.29 GB (old system install) respectively. I feel that this is fairly modest. When HD storage space comes in at between $1 and $2 per GB I'm really not complaining. There are some people who are fanatical optimisers but these are the exception rather than the rule (I feel). If any of these directories are growing alarmingly (i.e. consuming enormous amounts of space) start to worry. (I'm guessing you will also get a shock that many switchers do when you discover the 'activity monitor' and wonder where your free RAM is) This is not an issue either and a topic for another thread (it has been covered, but ages ago)

cheers, kim

PS macs really are different and OS X is not XP. ALSO how are you enjoying it so far?

Currawong
15th September 2004, 08:25 AM
If anything, programs you've tried probably have left preference files in your user Library folder ("~/Library" where the "~" denotes the home folder/directory). Those files will do nothing more than just sit there and use space.

I have at times started with a totally new user Library folder, and copied back the preferences and other settings (often in Application Support) as I found I needed them.

pipsqeek
15th September 2004, 09:10 AM
Smart move Curra. I was going to suggest the same thing. :)

Steve

ricky1206
15th September 2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks, guys!

I've been using PC for a long time, so.....

But now I really enjoy mac! It's easy to use and beautiful..... Maybe I should change my desktop to mac too after graduation :-)

Jimbo
15th September 2004, 02:26 PM
Maybe

Huh?