PDA

View Full Version : iBook vs MacBook

Johnny Appleseed
5th February 2006, 04:31 PM
The renaming of the PowerBook to "MacBook Pro" has led to speculation that the iBook will become "MacBook". But since the iMac is still the iMac, it's possible Apple will leave the iBook name as is, or even call it iMacBook.

What do you think Apple will call it?

zbaron
5th February 2006, 04:49 PM
Well, they didn't rename the iMac, but then again, it does have "Mac" in its name already.

Johnny Appleseed
5th February 2006, 04:51 PM
I should also mention that Steve Jobs has said Apple wants to get "Mac" back into the product names more. Though the "i" is a big brand in itself these days...

Edd
5th February 2006, 06:43 PM
I really think it either has to be 'ibook' or 'iMacBook'. I voted for iMacBook.

We either have:
iMac--------iBook
Mac Pro----MacBook Pro
Mac mini

or

We have:
iMac--------iMacBook
Mac Pro----MacBook Pro
Mac mini

If it goes to just 'macbook' the iMac ends up sort of nigelated.

ford.boy
5th February 2006, 06:57 PM
The only reason that they changed from power book in my opinion is to get away from the power brand 'Power', which is tied to the PowerPC processor.

Macbook is a weak, ugly name.

the_OM
5th February 2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by ford.boy@Feb 5 2006, 06:57 PM
The only reason that they changed from power book in my opinion is to get away from the power brand 'Power', which is tied to the PowerPC processor.

Macbook is a weak, ugly name.
I dunno about that.... the first powerbooks ran on the Motorola 68030 processor.

i think they just changed the name to differentiate it from the powerpc line. They didn't really have to do the same with the imacs, because they've eol'd them so soon after the intel imacs were released.

i think (and pray) that Apple will resume the powerbook name for their pro notebooks.

Johnny Appleseed
5th February 2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Feb 5 2006, 07:16 PM
i think (and pray) that Apple will resume the powerbook name for their pro notebooks.
Alas I think you'll be disappointed. Apple wouldn't make a big change like it has, after so many years, only to change back again.

Casey
5th February 2006, 10:49 PM
iLife, iWork, iPod, iMac... Did iLeave anything out?

There's no way in hell Apple are going to rename the iBook, it's part of a hugely successful consumer range of products. Apple renamed the PowerBook and Power Mac to put them in line with the rest of their Pro stuff, like Final Cut Pro and whatnot. If it's consumer, it's iSomething, if it's professional, it Something Pro. Works for me.

Pfft. MacBook. 'Sif ever.

marc
5th February 2006, 11:48 PM
I have no idea. It's too hard to call.

All three options make sense from a branding and product grid point of view. If it was my decision, it'd shy away from "MacBook", as it's too similar to "MacBook Pro". Plus people are likely to abbreviate "MacBook Pro" to "MacBook" anyway.

I think it'll be called whatever Steve wants it to be called.

Johnny Appleseed
6th February 2006, 12:14 PM
Keep those votes comin'!

gizo
6th February 2006, 12:33 PM
ya, I'm with Casey. I was going to vote MacBook, but I think the iConsumer thing carries on....

As an aside, I'm waiting for Steve to change his name to iClaudius...

bartron
6th February 2006, 09:50 PM
I go with iBook.

All the consumer stuff is prefixed with "i" and is basically the public face of Apple hardware. More interestingly is what will they call the PowerMac... Mac, MacMac, Mac Pro, Mac Nugget?

Consumers identify with a brand and for Apple that brand is white and starts with i.
Prosumers and cluey consumers identify with hardware and it really shouldn't matter what it is called.

A close second is that they will name it MacBook though to tie it closer to the rest of their line...lest they create two seperate hardware lines and give the impression that the 'pro' version is not what you want....you want the regular "i" version.

Bartron

Johnny Appleseed
18th April 2006, 11:36 PM
With Mac OS Rumors (http://www.macosrumors.com/) insisting the iBooks are going to stay iBooks, I thought it was time to revive the poll!

bartron
18th April 2006, 11:47 PM
Second thoughts....MacBook.

Why have a MacBook Pro with no non 'pro' version? May as well have called it just MacBook if they were keeping the iBook name.....unless there will be a middle ground notebook called the MacBook :o (there's one for the punters)

Johnny Appleseed
18th April 2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by bartron@Apr 18 2006, 11:47 PM
Why have a MacBook Pro with no non 'pro' version?
Maybe for the same reason there'll be a Mac Pro with no plain old "Mac"!

bartron
19th April 2006, 12:11 AM
Maybe for the same reason there'll be a Mac Pro with no plain old "Mac"

hmmm...seems logical

luotuohua
19th April 2006, 02:10 AM
I think they'll call it MacBook but I like iBook a lot more...rolls off the tongue nicely. As for iMacBook, I think its a bit of a mouthful.

ethania05
19th April 2006, 02:44 AM
iMacBook is just a really bad name. iBook is easier to say. I hope it doesnt get changed to that. That is awful!

Squozen
19th April 2006, 10:30 AM
My money is on MacBook.