PDA

View Full Version : Canon Scanner not working in OSX

thebag
14th September 2004, 07:34 AM
I have just acquired a PM G4 Digital Audio running OS X 10.2.8, I also have a CanoScan N650U Scanner I have tried to get the scanner working under OS X to no avail. Keeep in mind this is all new, previously a 9.2 user.

I can get it to work in classic but not in OS X, I have downloaded the latest driver from Canon and CanoScan Toolbox and Scangear(after much running around - Canon support in OS X is very ordinary to say the least). It is supposedly self installing.

When I try to install the latest driver, it asks for an install location. This is where I am having trouble, where do I put the driver. It doesn't seem to want to self install. Under OS9 put the driver over the system folder and it would automatically install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is more frustrating than anything else.

Thanks Mark

Currawong
14th September 2004, 09:17 AM
Is it supported under OSX? Some of the scanners around that age only have a photoshop plugin that works in OSX.

kim jong il
14th September 2004, 09:21 AM
I just checked this out, the installation seems to have two procedures. Firstly you run the installer. This automatically installs components 'somewhere' (not user selectable) It also auto launches IE with instructions: follow these. You have to then click on a canon icon alias on the desktop at which point a dialogue box opens saying that to complete the installation you have to choose a 'compatible application' folder to finish the installation . The IE instructions give you the clue with an image of the dialogue box 'find location'. This says Mac Hd/Applications/(for example)Adobe Photoshop/plugins. This might also be displayed elsewhere as ~/Applications/Adobe Photoshop/Plugins. The installer insists that you have a 'compatible application' or basically a supported image processing application. Once you get used to the OS X directory structure it is really quite easy (I know; everything is obvious when you know how). Hope this helps. I can't really check back until after about 3:00 pm (have to go to bed). If this was not helpful, post requesting clarification and I will make the instructions more comprehensive this afternoon.

cheers, kim

EDIT: yes it is supported under OS X (v 3.8.0.x), there is also a classic installer (1.8. something) and a custom uninstaller (v 2.2.0?) (these all were updated March? this year) The OS X version for OS X 10.1.3 and above.

Disko
14th September 2004, 10:04 AM
I have this scanner, and use it fine via photoshop. Not sure of other applications. I'll be able to help this evening if a solution isn't found by then. (i'm at work at the moment)

thebag
14th September 2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the responses guys it looks like I may have to either use the scanner in classic or look at getting Photoshop or something.

I would have hoped that I could use the scanner in OSX using a Canon utility(as I do in Classic) but this may not be the case.

Thanks again

Mark

kim jong il
14th September 2004, 05:25 PM
I rechecked at the Canon site (support) and it appears that under OS X photoshop 7.0 and photoshop elements 2.0 are the only two applications that are supported (officially anyway). Does this mean that all others are excluded? Anyone? Or that these are the only ones that they 'guarantee' it will work with? (They do only seem to offer the full suite of included software in OS 9)

PS, Mark, Photoshop Elements should be pretty easy to track down. At the very least it would be a far cheaper alternative to the full Photoshop

EDIT: 10 hours later I realise what Currawong actually meant. There is support, then there is support. Classic gives you the full range of functions: image manipulation, OCR, whatnot while OS X just gives you Photoshop access to images without OCR for text.

larfinboy
14th September 2004, 05:43 PM
I have had a Canoscan 650U working with Mac OS X using Vuescan (http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html).
Worked a treat but obviously not a free solution.
Otherwise you are stuck with using Photoshop or possibly Photoshop Elements.

I did try to get GraphicConverter working but it did need a twain driver.
So I ended up buying an Epson Perfection 2840 Photo.
Great software bundle that all works under 10.3.

luke_in_tas
14th September 2004, 07:51 PM
I have a CanoScan D1230U, and after much research I can confirm that Canon do not produce TWAIN drivers for OS X. Instead Canon provide plug-ins for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. If you have one of these programs you can scan into them using the plug-ins.

Of course, this is a rediculous position for Canon to have adopted. It means, under OS X, their scanners won't work with a wide variety of programs, including one of my favourites: Adobe Acrobat. Why Canon decided to go this way I don't know. As I understand it most other manufacturers have produced TWAIN drivers (I think this includes HP and Epson).

If you are annoyed at this situation you should send feedback to Canon. Maybe if they get enough complaints they will address the problem.