PDA

View Full Version : Gripes with iPhoto

Secoa
13th September 2004, 10:24 PM
Look I really love the simplicity of iPhoto and when I compare it with other PC alternatives in terms of ease to use, import photo's, make simplistic changes and burn photos there is no comparison. Another thing I love is the ability to publish photo's on your .mac page via nifty templates.

That now been said there are a couple items that really annoy me about this great app and I wish Apple would fix it with the next version of iLife. These are:

1: all photo's get stored in one library. Thus any snaps from the honeymoon can't make there way in iPhoto - note some alternative programs fix this like iPhoto buddy but it should be a feature of the software

2: when importing photo's the order of import to me is backwards ie from most recent to oldest I might import 200 photos at time which means I manually have to put them in the right order if I wish to use the slide show function. This really annoys me.

I guess I only posted this as I just finished re-ordering my latest import of family snaps.

Thanks

Secoa
13th September 2004, 10:33 PM
oops.... Okay before anyone posts a quick reply to say that I a git........

I didn't realise that in preferences an option of "place most recent photos on top" existed and that I had it selected.

Okay I guess the only thing I don't like is the lack of multiple libraries.

Thanks

jobe
13th September 2004, 10:55 PM
eh? you have one photo library where all photos are stored. Then you organise them into albums. What's the problem?

:cmd: N - new alum. Name it "Honeymoon. Go through the library and drag and drop all honeymoon photos to this album and wallah!

tap
14th September 2004, 12:07 AM
I think he was trying to say there are some "wah wah wukka wukka wah wah" photos from the Honeymoon that he doesn't want seen by all in the family. Maybe you need a seperate account for the "special" stuff ;)

The reason I stopped using iPhoto was the finder in Jaguar was faster for browsing photos. Then came Panther and I have been hoping they fix it to how it was. From what I understand Apple had had complaints about too much disk access shortening the battery life of Powerbooks, so instead of caching the nearby previews it now does them on the fly which means i have to wait about a second per photo instead of them being displayed almost instantly.

Maybe I'm just living in a distorted dream, but I wish I had Jaguar to check :(

Old:
PM G4 AGP 400MHz 768Mb RAM Jaguar

New
eMac 1GHz 1Gb RAM Panther

Yammanee
14th September 2004, 02:50 AM
I agree that the capability of creating mulitiple libraries is something that really should be included in the Application.

Currently I am using iPhoto Buddy, which is doing everything that I want perfectly, but I really would like it to be incorporated into the Apple software, and not a 3rd party one.

I know some people think that the albums in the app is sufficient, but I beg to differ.
This is because I have many thousands of photos, and these get sent to different people.
The simplest way of sending them the photos is creating a cd/dvd that has the different libraries on them. I don't want them to have all the photos from different clients. Just the ones that belong to them.

It really isn't a problem for the average user, but for people that have many photos to organise, it would just be nice to have that capability.

Cheers