PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on purchase of powerbook.

dougadipole
2nd February 2006, 08:11 AM
We are new to Macs. Can you please help.
My daughter (aged 21) needs a powerbook to use for editing video using Final Cut Pro. She will be travelling overseas, hence the need for a portable. She is also financially challenged!
Would a second hand 1.33Gh or !.5Gh be suitable? What RAM would we need? Do these usually have a DVD burner? Would the batteries be degraded and what do they cost to replace? Is ebay cool to buy from? Any other sources? Questions, questions,questions!
We would appreciate any advice on these and any other relevant issues. Thanks.

mechcon
2nd February 2006, 08:30 AM
well what i can answer, is dont get the macbook pro, as pro applications aren't compatible (yet) no idea when officially they will be... if you go second hand, make sure you get the highest spec possible, it wouldn't hurt, as for ram? 1gb MINIMUM (i haven't used final cut, but overalll, 1gb minimum for a powerbook is a must!

batteries? no idea, someone else could answer that :)

either way, hope you make the right choice

purana
2nd February 2006, 09:34 AM
ebay is sometimes very good for buying however you must be carefull. ie. I'd be more inclined to buy one off ebay if the person was local or nearby enough to allow me to travel and pick it up. That way you know your not going to send money and not get nothing in return.

Another good place is on the for sale threads on this site. Machines are always being sold and speaking of which my wife will be selling her less then year old 12" Powerbook with superdrive in a matter of a few months. As its that time of year just about to buy a new one.

Good luck with your future mac purchases ;)

hawker
2nd February 2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by mechcon@Feb 2 2006, 08:00 AM
well what i can answer, is dont get the macbook pro, as pro applications aren't compatible (yet) no idea when officially they will be... if you go second hand, make sure you get the highest spec possible, it wouldn't hurt, as for ram? 1gb MINIMUM (i haven't used final cut, but overalll, 1gb minimum for a powerbook is a must!
I have a powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz, and it has had many videos edited on it, so I can say it is okay as an on the go editing machine!

I'd actually say 512MB if the min. I know you need a phsyical 384MB to boot the new FCP HD +

768MB is allowing more room
1GB is plenty
1GB+ extra icing on the cake, but I'd say about 1GB is where you'd want to be. Anymore, and it'll start being your computer that will slow you down.

dougadipole
2nd February 2006, 09:46 AM
If a machine has 512mb can you add another 512 or do you need to scrap it and add a 1gb module? At what cost?

(Purana-She needs to purchase very quickly)

What's a Superdrive?

hawker
2nd February 2006, 09:49 AM
Superdrive is a DVD burner.

If its a 12" and it has 512MB of RAM, then it will have 2x 256, and one will have to be taken out. In most cases, if you buy an extra 512 for you should end up with 768MB's of RAM... If you get a 15" that has 1x512MB stick, then you will end up with 1GB... You should not need to scrap all the RAM to put in an extra slot.

I'd wait to see what she gets and then ask here again!

macmelly
2nd February 2006, 10:28 AM
Can't comment on the performance of the machine...but as far as buying goes, I'd be cautious about ebay too. As purana said, if possible go for a seller who offers local pickup. You can be much more confident. Ebay buyer protection only offers coverage up to $400 (US) from memory.

I'd check around firesales as most machines come with at least a 3 month warranty or 12 for ex-demo stuff. When I was looking to buy a s/h pbook/ibook last month I visited the following:

www.microseconds.com.au
www.nextbyte.com.au
www.newwavesystems.com.au
www.compnow.com.au
www.macrent.com.au (enquire about ex-lease sales)

Hope this helps.

Mel

purana
2nd February 2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by dougadipole@Feb 2 2006, 09:46 AM
If a machine has 512mb can you add another 512 or do you need to scrap it and add a 1gb module? At what cost?

(Purana-She needs to purchase very quickly)

What's a Superdrive?
Her machine may end on here on the for sale section sometime before April.

Heidi-Lee
2nd February 2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by dougadipole@Feb 2 2006, 08:11 AM
She is also financially challenged!

Financially challenged and buying a powerbook dont go together!!! 1.5ghz 12" powerbooks (superdrive) are going on ebay for between $1800-$2000k at the momment to give you an idea.

f1_power
2nd February 2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Heidi-Lee@Feb 2 2006, 10:53 AM
Financially challenged and buying a powerbook dont go together!!! 1.5ghz 12" powerbooks (superdrive) are going on ebay for between $1800-$2000k at the momment to give you an idea.
True - and FCP is pretty expensive too

hawker
2nd February 2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by f1_power@Feb 2 2006, 11:11 AM
True - and FCP is pretty expensive too
Yeah it's an investment. However, if you buy a powerbook on the cheap (ie. second hand) and then only buy Final Cut Express HD RRP $429.00 - it won't be too bad!

dougadipole
2nd February 2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the help. What a great resource.

I thought I might try all the apple retailers for trade-ins. Is there a list somewhere on this site or the net?

macmelly
2nd February 2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by dougadipole@Feb 2 2006, 01:39 PM

I thought I might try all the apple retailers for trade-ins. Is there a list somewhere on this site or the net?

Try the list of known second hand resellers in the pinned Trading Area topic HERE (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6660) Most of these have regularly updated firesale/ex-demo etc lists.

hawker
2nd February 2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by dougadipole@Feb 2 2006, 01:09 PM

My personal opinion is to avoid ebay at all costs. Look here (the admins here have locked the trading forums down, I am yet to hear of any problems?) - and demo, you can't beat demo stock, they're usually only slightly used (usually had itunes playing on them or something) and they usually come with 3 months warranty min.

leon
2nd February 2006, 02:42 PM
Whats wrong with purchasing a new ibook?

14 inch with the 1.42 gHz processor, or wait a few months and get the new single core ibook.

dougadipole
2nd February 2006, 03:38 PM
Whats wrong with purchasing a new ibook?

Apparently the IBook doesn't allow two screens to run simultaneously, ie video on one and tools on the other. Also, restricted in connections?