PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Locks

squall_well
1st February 2006, 11:36 PM
Hi Guys,
I have an iBook and I want to buy a notebook lock. I'm planning to buy a generic one at a PC shop. I wonder if notebook lock for PC and Mac is the same?
Anybody have any bad experience with certain brand of lock when used with iBook or PowerBook?
Thanks for your comments.

Welly

jboles
2nd February 2006, 12:38 AM
Yep, they are the same. Anything from Kensington or Targus is fine. I'm sure there are other good brands too :)

Mark T
2nd February 2006, 08:38 AM
I remember when the Titanium PowerBooks first came out, they were so thin that the existing locks were too bulky for them. The lock was thicker than the PowerBook and didn't allow it to sit flat.

I would imagine that the locks have been made smaller by now.

(and those five year old computers are still possibly the finest looking around!)

gduggan
3rd February 2006, 08:19 AM
I remember reading something recently about notebook locks with keys being easy to pick with a ballpoint pen refill, so I would make sure the lock has a combination lock.

One other thing - airport security have confiscated my Kensington lock twice now when boarding a plane, so buy plenty.

Brewster
3rd February 2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by gduggan@Feb 3 2006, 08:19 AM
One other thing - airport security have confiscated my Kensington lock twice now when boarding a plane, so buy plenty.
Why?

Thom
3rd February 2006, 10:26 AM
I've always liked how the Mac stores lock their hardware to the desks... but where would you use one personally? At home you shouldn't need one and out and about you're asking for trouble if you let the machine out of your site- even if it's locked to something...

If I wanted to pinch a laptop I don't think those little locks would stop me.

Of course, I've never tried (ok, except for that time when the 17" Powerbooks were just released)- how unbreakable are these locks and cables?

Mark T
3rd February 2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Brewster+Feb 3 2006, 10:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brewster &#064; Feb 3 2006, 10:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
<!--QuoteBegin-gduggan @ Feb 3 2006@ 08:19 AM

Why?[/b][/quote]

Yea, why can&#39;t they confiscate it properly the first time?

vid
3rd February 2006, 11:02 AM
I have two of these locks, the one I bought for my iBook was a combination lock and it fitted nice and "snugly" to the side, when I got my PB 17" I bought a keyed one but after a short while the internal plastic where the lock attaches to on the PB "disintegrated" and the lock was so loose it was not worth even using, I asked about this at the Apple Centre but they said it wasn&#39;t covered under warranty and I would need a new base for several &#036;100&#33; So I didn&#39;t bother.
I used to wrap the lock around the boot pillar in my car.

El Guardo
3rd February 2006, 11:45 AM
Just a word of warning: Kensington locks that rely upon the key mechanism can be opened with a piece of cardboard in under five seconds. There&#39;s a video floating around the web demonstrating as much.

gduggan
3rd February 2006, 01:17 PM
I think they thought I would strangle someone. Has anyone else had a lock confiscated?