PDA

View Full Version : Audio CD creating

froggy
1st February 2006, 10:58 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a CD of some talks that I recorded on my MD.

I've created the AIFF files in Audacity and am now wanting to burn the CD. As the talks are (obviously) all spoken voice, I didn't see the need to create high bit-rate AIFF files.

My question is now, why can't I fit all three talks onto the one CD. The total file size is 211mb. The total time of the three talks is 115 minutes. Is a number of minutes limit placed on a CD even though the space is nowhere near filled?

Thanks, as always!

Cheers,
Andrew

CarbonRods
1st February 2006, 11:23 PM
CD-R and CD-R/RW recorders write audio discs in the official Compact Disc-Digital Audio (CD-DA) Red Book format for use in any CD audio compatible player. Just like their mass produced prerecorded (pressed) cousins, CD-R and CD-RW discs can hold up to 80 minutes of CD quality audio (44.1 Khz, 16 bit) using as many as 99 separate tracks.

froggy
1st February 2006, 11:29 PM
So, I can't fit these talks onto one CD. Not in AIFF format, anyway. MP3 would be a different story, but then I could run into the problem of not all CD players being MP3 compatible.

Do I have this all correct, CarbonRods?

Graham
1st February 2006, 11:57 PM
The limit for a standard CD was set at 74 minutes originally because that would hold Beethoven's Ninth Symphony on a single disc. File size is irrelevant because the CD standard defines a data format which only allows (now) up to 80 minutes maximum. You will have to split the talk to fit on two CDs unless you produce an MP3 CD.

froggy
2nd February 2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks for clarifying and explaining to this little black duck!

Cheers,
Andrew

Bart Smastard
2nd February 2006, 12:08 PM
Alternatively, if you have a SuperDrive, you could make a DVD that would play on any DVD player. You could even add menus to each of the talks.

CarbonRods
2nd February 2006, 12:13 PM
If it's important to you, it is possible to speed up the recording slightly to fit the recording onto one CD.

You can do this with Garage Band

Jimbo
2nd February 2006, 12:24 PM
you can do this in audacity, altough i wou;dn't reccomend speeding it up any more than about 5% or it'll sound like chipmunks.

froggy
2nd February 2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo@Feb 2 2006, 12:24 PM
you can do this in audacity, altough i wouldn't reccomend speeding it up any more than about 5% or it'll sound like chipmunks.
And there's something wrong with that? :o

:P

Seriously, folks, thanks again for all of your collected knowledge and willingness to share!

Cheers,
Andrew

moody
15th March 2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by CarbonRods@Feb 2 2006, 12:13 PM
If it's important to you, it is possible to speed up the recording slightly to fit the recording onto one CD.

You can do this with Garage Band
115 minutes into 80....

That's going to be way to fast!!!

Conceivably you could go into the files and do serious editing, both of superfluous content and of gaps, pauses, coughs etc. It would need an incredibly amount of cutting to create anywhere near that 80 minute mark though.

Possibly try to get it down to 86 or 87 minutes then speed it up?

marc
16th March 2006, 12:43 AM
I think splitting on 2 CDs might be the easiest way!

froggy
16th March 2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by marc@Mar 16 2006, 12:43 AM
I think splitting on 2 CDs might be the easiest way!
It most certainly was, marc!

Thanks!

Exocet
16th March 2006, 02:09 PM
As covered earlier, regardless of the size of the AIFF files, when you burn to a CD its re-encoded and the total minutes of the files become the upper limit. 70-80 minutes depending on brand. The megabytes only come into effect when you're using it as a data disc, rather than an audio disc.