PDA

View Full Version : New Games Machines Using G5's???

matrixgeek
13th September 2004, 04:33 PM
Some info that may interest you all: the Xbox 2, currently code-named Xenon, is believed to be based on the G5 Chipset. Rumurs abound as to the specs of the Xenon machine, and the current faves seem to all be based around a machine using a Power PC processor with, wait for it, TRIPLE cores! Hmmm...sound fishy to anyone else? But, the advent of dual-core G4's for possible use in the Powerbook range may point the way towards the true future of the Xbox2. Seeing as the console market is driven by 'bang for your buck' atm, this chipset would be far more affordable than using G5s, even when factoring in the bulk purchace pricing. Still, a dual-core G4 based games machine using a version of the 9600 or 9800 GPU set would kick ass on the current machines. It is believed that the only thing possibly stoping the use of PPC CPU's could be backwards compatability, but G4's have the psudeo-little endian mode so even software emulation of the P II 600 used in the first Xbox shoud be possible. This all ties in nicely with the other rumour that the Software Development Kits for Xenon, which develpoers use to code the games on have shipped, and are...wait for it...dual G5 2.5's! Big bad Redmond have been talking their 'OS' for consoles up lately, which is snappily called XNA. Tech demos of this 'next-gen' devkit for gaming have been floating about for ages, and some footage has even been labelled as Xenon code. Truth be known, the first demos were running on high-end Wintels and the latest have been (apparently) coded on Mac's! And the other juciy story is that the next console from Nintendo, officially referred to atm as the Revolution, could just be a reboxed Xenon system! Cheaper for Ninty, easier to port games onto, strengthens Redmond's position in the next round of the console wars... which J Mays, the boss of the X department says they dont just want to win,but dominate. All 3 next-gen machines get revealed at the E3 show next May, so things could be interesting about this time next year... And as for Sony, well, PS3 deserves a thread all to itself...

Arkhum_Eramak
18th September 2004, 06:57 PM
I couldn't agree more with the DualCore G4 suggested in the next-gen consoles. If the rumours about Nintendo and Microsoft getting chummy are true (as much as I don't like Microsoft) the cross-platform crossover of games will be astounding. Undoubtedly Nintendo attempting to bring gaming to a new level by adding compatibility no matter which console you are using and Microsoft chasing the almighty dollar. LAN compatibility would be almost revolutionary and this combination of 'friendly competition' may kick Sony's console out of the runnings altogether. Nintendo would also do well to incorporate their proprietry wireless into the console for wireless controllers and connectivity to the next GameBoy and the DS without the need for a $20 cable. All things then considered, since Bill Gates wants to buy Nintendo, so long as they keep Nintendo's constant push for gaming revolution and playability, I think it couldn't be better. And for anyone who would post saying 'Nintendo are going to die soon anyway' lets not forget that they are a huge toy manufacturer as well as shareholders of over $3billion in shares. They aren't exactly a poor company.

Love!

matrixgeek
20th September 2004, 10:16 AM
Hmmm... cordledss connectivity... The new Pokémon releases shipping this week (Leaf Green and Fire Red) have wireless adapters in the box at no extra cost. So there goes the $20 cable... And if new rumours are anything to go by, it seems that all 3 next-gen consoles are looking at incorporating 2.4gHz cordless controllers as standard! Also, remember that both the PSP and DS have wireless networking out of the box and both are compatible with existing platforms. On the PSP and DS I may get to see them soon, have another vendors show coming up. Should get to play multiplayer Halo 2 as well!!!!! (No chance of playing GTA:SA tho)

Also, /. recently ran an article on how the Xenon will be backwards compatible using emulation... and as we all know, Microsoft owns Connectix(?) the company behind Virtual PC, which allows Mac's to run x86-based OS's. Xenon/Xbox2 uses a G series processor...Xbox uses a PII class CPU...make your own conclusions... /. (http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/09/14/2257218.shtml?tid=211&tid=10)

Arkhum_Eramak
21st September 2004, 08:46 PM
I was reading that backwards compatablility may not be used in the XboxNext, since they are thinking of dropping the HDD (piracy and all that). Still, backwards compatability is good, not that I mind if it isn't there, I still have a SNES and an N64 (and I'm playing Super Metroid at the moment! Ya!). Still, if there is too much backwards compatability the system eventually becomes unstable (look at Windows XP) and because of the backwards compatability, Sony were having problems with the PS3 CPU. Still, Microsoft needs a pat on the back for finally realising that the Apple/Motorola/IBM platform is the better one, and I'm sure the only reason they are still working on Longhorn and Blackcomb is because of all the silly saps who bought PCs before they realised they were just the poo (still shipping with floppy drives? WHY??). And maybe they like AMD. I don't like Intel. They are silly. They make things like the Itanic. Too bad.

matrixgeek
22nd September 2004, 10:25 PM
The stroy goes that when the Xbox 2 team had the meeting to announce the winning components, they told Intel they didn't get the tender and the Intel guy lost it. He started screaming and shouting and asking 'why why why???' To which someone replied 'cause the P4 you offered uses 3 times the power, generates 4 times the heat and has less raw power!'
He wasn't too happy, apparently...

Mat

PS playing Tiger 05 on Xbox... There goes my life...

matrixgeek
27th September 2004, 03:37 PM
More tidbits on the next -gen of consoles:
According to a report on geek.com the real reason for the delays on the latest release of Virtual PC is cause it was commandeered by the Xbox 2 team and is being used in Xbox 2 to give it backwards compatability....
And Sony have gone all Jon Ives and redesigned the Playstation 2, making it 70% smaller and building networking into the machine. Looks like Sony finally realised that by making hardware sexy it sells better...

Arkhum_Eramak
4th October 2004, 11:09 AM
<sigh>

That brings back amusing memories.

I read a review with the fellow who designed the PS2 casing. He said that the gaps in the front (the raised bits) were supposed to make the spaces in between &#39;infinite gaps&#39; making the PS2 look infinite and giving it an apparent &#39;deep as the universe&#39; and &#39;meaning of lifey&#39; kind of feel. I thought it was bollocks. How many PS2 owners looked at their PS2s and thought about the deep intricate mysteries of the cosmos? Most PS2 owners I&#39;ve known have complained whenever I played any Nintendo games because they weren&#39;t violent enough and that there was no racing in them. One particular said that Pokémon Colusseum should have had people fighting against the monsters, more blood and the ability to leap to your death from any cliff face you encountered. She was a moron though.........hmmm.........nevermind.

This post wasn&#39;t especially apple related now was it?

J

jerrah
12th April 2005, 10:52 AM
MS to launch Xbox 2 on 12 May (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/11/ms_mtv_xbox2_launch/)

"The Guts of the Next (x)Box (http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microsoft-xbox/594331p1.html)

• CPU - Xenon&#39;s CPU has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each core is capable of two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.
• GPU - Xenon&#39;s GPU is a generation beyond the ATI X800. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. The final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today; in game terms, it would handle a game like Half-Life 2 with ease.
• System Memory - Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. Keep in mind that this number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.
• Optical Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Games will come on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The drive is slated to run at 12X.
• Memory Units - Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.
• Hard Drive - As many have speculated, Xenon&#39;s hard drive is optional. 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined.
• Camera - Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It&#39;s capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. It&#39;s unknown if the Xenon camera will allow for EyeToy-like gameplay. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.
• Sound Chip - Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.
"