PDA

View Full Version : quality issue printing shared vs connected

mart
13th September 2004, 10:12 AM
Hi, Has anyone else seen this issue...

When I print photos from my iBook (Airport Ex) to the printer (Epson photo 810) connected to my old eMac (Belkin USB 802.11b thing) the output is less than great.

When I print the same file directly from the eMac (using the same versions of Photoshop, same CUPS settings etc) the result is great. The difference is similar to printing at 72dpi vs 300 with some extra noise thrown in. The files I am printing a reasonably large; ariound 12Mb

BTW I have no other network issues between these two computers.

Have I missed something or are there limitations on printing shared or wirlessly?

Ta

decryption
13th September 2004, 11:01 AM
Are you sure you look in the print options and configured it correctly?
The default setting for the network print driver is probably on low quality, but when it's connected directly, it's set higher.

mart
13th September 2004, 11:15 AM
Yes, I paid great attention to the settings available to me from the CUPS print settings.

I even went to the trouble of re-installing printer driver etc.

Are there other settings I need to know about ? Like ones that relate to network printers?

decryption
13th September 2004, 11:25 AM
Printing over the network should be identical to printing locally. There aren't any specific settings that relate to printing over a network that would result in low quality.
I've never used the Epson printer drivers, so I'm not much help.

mart
13th September 2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your help anyway, I have an idea to install a virtual printer driver (ie print to a file) and check the resultant file size from printing locally vs remotely.

I'll let you know the outcome (assuming I can find one).

Cheers