PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Install

Cam
13th September 2004, 09:57 AM
Hi Guys,

Im looking at fresh installing OS 10.3 onto my Powerbook.

How can I make a disk image of my current Data to put on my external hard drive. I dont want to wipe my external, i just want to make a disk image that I can easily copy files off as needed.

Thanks,
Cameron

Currawong
13th September 2004, 10:34 AM
When you install 10.3, you can click on "Customise" and do an "archive install" which gives you the option to perserve the users (and settings) or to archive everything, where it ends up in "Previous Systems". That would be a simpler option.

Otherwise, if you can boot from a third drive, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup on your external hd.

decryption
13th September 2004, 11:04 AM
I would just copy over my home directory, then do a reformat, install all my apps again, then copy over the home directory again.

Disko
13th September 2004, 11:09 AM
Yep, thats what i do as well. i backup my entire home directory, then copy it back folder by folder (keeping what i need) and then selecting the certain library pref files that i want to keep.

Not only is it a great way to backup your stuff, its a great way to do some spring cleaning on things you dont need.

dev_enter
13th September 2004, 11:16 AM
I third that motion. That $99 20Gig iPod sure comes in handy for this. :P

Another practice I do, is instead of using Software Update to update my software, I use it to find out what updates there are, then download them manually from the Apple Website. This way I can archive them, and when I do an erase and install, I can apply patches and install the latest apps without having to re-download them.

I think though, that if you did use Software Update, the disk images are still stored on your disk, or at least the pkg files are in your receipts directory: /Library/Receipts

Cam
13th September 2004, 12:11 PM
I have a 120GB hard drive. I want to copy over all files under my drive to the external. Not all files are in my home directory!

dev_enter
13th September 2004, 12:15 PM
Why all the files?
Pretty much all your documents and important things that would be hard to get back should be in /Users

frenchtoast
13th September 2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Bahamut@Sep 13 2004, 11:16 AM
I third that motion. That $99 20Gig iPod sure comes in handy for this. :P
$99!

Were you lucky and got one from Jollymac a while back on their web opening special?

dev_enter
13th September 2004, 10:17 PM
Nah, all of NZ had a deal in March-April or so for a $99 iPod with any PB.
The only downfall is that in June or so, they released the new line of PBs.