PDA

View Full Version : Mac Can No Longer Access Windows Shared Files

Hv8
11th June 2016, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

OS 10.11.5 El Capitan
Macbook Pro (17 inch, Early 2011)

I have a Windows 7 machine I am using as a file server amongst other things.
I have folders that I share from this Windows 7 machine, and connect to from my Macbook Pro.
I have had this setup for several years now, without issue, however, for the past 3 weeks, I can no longer connect to the Windows machine from my Mac.
The error reads:
"There was a problem connecting to the server [Server Name].
There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem."

In the past 3 weeks, I have only been able to connect successfully twice, apparently by chance.
I can't think of anything specific that may have caused this.
I have another, older, Macbook Pro which has the exact same problem, which makes me think it may be something with the Windows machine, noting, however, that I keep both Macs up to date with latest updates, so may have been due to a recent Mac update.
I have tried:
- un-sharing, then re-sharing the files on the Windows machine (and restarting between each step);
- checked permissions on the Windows machine which seem OK (all permissions Allowed by Everyone).
- banging my head against the wall really hard.
...but all to no avail.

Help, please!!
Many thanks.

MadKiwi
13th June 2016, 05:10 AM
Do you access as a specific user or are you using the guest account?

If you are using the guest account you might like to try the following on the Windows PC:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544)

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

Hv8
21st June 2016, 07:48 PM
Thank you MadKiwi,
I have played around with this over the past week.
Yes, I connect using the Guest account.
I did what you suggested and I can now access the Windows shared files from 1 Mac (Macbook Pro - 17 inch, Early 2011), which is awesome, but not the other Mac (MacBook Pro 3,1).
I have tried re-doing the Command Shell inputs, as well as several restarts on all machines.

Thanks heaps for your help to date.
If you have any ideas re connection to 2nd Mac, I would love to know

Many thanks.

HawkMcDuck
24th June 2016, 01:20 AM
Thank you MadKiwi,
I have played around with this over the past week.
Yes, I connect using the Guest account.
I did what you suggested and I can now access the Windows shared files from 1 Mac (Macbook Pro - 17 inch, Early 2011), which is awesome, but not the other Mac (MacBook Pro 3,1).
I have tried re-doing the Command Shell inputs, as well as several restarts on all machines.

Thanks heaps for your help to date.
If you have any ideas re connection to 2nd Mac, I would love to know

Many thanks.

I have a PC running Windows 10 and some Macs (MacPro1,1, MacPro3,1, an iMac8,1 and two MacMini3,1's) running OS X 10.11.5 or 10.10.5. I was having the same problem described earlier, that is after working for years is all of a sudden none of my Macs were able to connect to the shares on the Windows 10 PC, which as it happens is my main computer where the majority of my files are stored. (FYI, on the Windows 10 PC I could see all of the Macs in "Network"). I followed the excellent suggestion from MadKiwi in an earlier post, as follows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>net user guest /active:yes
The command completed successfully.
C:\Windows\system32>ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
Granting SeNetworkLogonRight to Guest ... successful
C:\Windows\system32>ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
Revoking SeDenyNetworkLogonRight from Guest ... successful
C:\Windows\system32>

From the iMac I was immediately able to connect and access the shares on the Windows 10 PC, but when I when I tried from the MacPro3,1 I had the same problem as before, i.e., "Connection failed" when I tried to log in as "Guest" without a password from the Finder->Go->Connect to Server using smb://192.168.0.123. When I looked over on the iMac I could see that I was connected to the Windows 10 PC as "GUEST" (note case). Back on the MacPro3,1 I logged in as "GUEST" (all uppercase) and VOILA! I was connected to my Win 10 shares.

Go figure.....

HawkMcDuck
24th June 2016, 01:49 AM
I'll just add one more thing. It appears that there might be something different depending on which version of the Mac OS one is using. Here is a table of the Mac computers, their OS's, and the exact spelling (i.e., upper & lower case) of the guest user that is connected to the shares on the Windows 10 PC:

iMac8,1 10.11.5 GUEST
MacMini3,1-1 10.11.5 GUEST
MacMini3,1-2 10.11.5 GUEST
MacPro1,1 10.10.5 Guest
MacPro3,1 10.11.5 GUEST

Note that when connecting to the Windows shares from the Macs running 10.11.5, I used Finder->Go->Connect To Server smb://192.168.0.123 and connected as a "Registered User" using GUEST with no password.

Hope this helps someone.

MadKiwi
27th June 2016, 05:24 PM
Glad I could help a little