PDA

View Full Version : Installing Classic Support

dreamcaster
12th September 2004, 07:09 PM
Hi guys, im having some trouble installing classic support on my ibook. I've read the help topic in OSX but when I insert my hardware diagnostics cd there is no option for installing addtional software, so what would be the best way of getting classic support working (my os 9 cd is v9.2.1).

Cheers

Disko
12th September 2004, 07:32 PM
there should be a shortcut on the CD that came with your ibook that says 'install classic support and other applications". Its not part of the installer.

dreamcaster
12th September 2004, 08:29 PM
Hmm I cant seem to find it, i've looked through the "ibook software install", "mac os x" "apple hardware test" and "ibook applications" cd's with no luck, the only other cd's i have are the "ibook software restore" discs 1-4 & the mac os 9 cd. :unsure:

matttt88
12th September 2004, 10:57 PM
i been looking for it too, when i got my PowerBook it had Garage Band and quite a few other things installed on it, then for some reason no network interfaces would work and i couldnt even configure them. so i reinstalled, since doing that i have not got anything that was on it when i bough it, and the cds that come with it have nothing either.

Currawong
13th September 2004, 08:06 AM
Support #151871 (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151871)

That's the instructions I know of. By the way, how old is your iBook?

dreamcaster
14th September 2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks i'll check the link out, it's a G3 500mhz.

dreamcaster
14th September 2004, 07:45 PM
the instructions in that link are the same ones that are in the osx help files that i tried to use before. :(

mbd
14th September 2004, 10:08 PM
If you have an OS9 disc/system around somewhere, copying the System Folder and the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder onto the top level of your hard disk should be all you need to do. Once the files are copied, select the system from the System Preferences classic icon...

Currawong
15th September 2004, 08:30 AM
Do note that a System folder from an OS CD wont be bootable as the Classic environment.

dreamcaster
19th September 2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the help guys, got it working by copying the os9 system folder over to my HDD.

Jaymz
20th September 2004, 04:30 AM
You can also install classic properly by booting from the OS9 CD, and just going through the normal motions of installing OS9. You'll need to run the Startup Disk control panel applet in order to boot back to OSX later, however. Installing OS9 in this way shouldn't hurt anything, and I was able to do this on my iMac G3 450, B&W PowerMac G3 350, and PowerMac G4 800 without any dramas or lost data.

Astrobuoy
25th October 2004, 06:53 PM
Don't want to be the one to open an old can of worms and sound like a l-user but... Installing classic from my system CD as additional software, is that going to make me lose any data? music, movies, games, progs etc? Is it going to do a reinstall. The instructions on the website say to backup any files but I've got about 60GB worth to back up.

Currawong
25th October 2004, 07:46 PM
They ALWAYS say backup your files. It shouldn't delete or change anything.

Astrobuoy
25th October 2004, 07:50 PM
Kewl, thanx