PDA

View Full Version : Apple Mail and Archiving

kaisersozay
1st November 2015, 02:32 PM
Currently, El Capitan 10.11.1 is driving my ship and I notice my Apple Mail is 9.1, so first question is... is there an upgrade and if so, where can I find it.
My Mail client has been Archiving almost all my mail and yesterday I spent some time deleting the Archive stuff as I cannot find anywhere to do anything about Archive in Tools or Preferences. I notice the Archived mail has a message "all mail". Where it got that plan, I have no idea. Anyway, this morning I looked in one of my many Mailboxes to retrieve an email and it was empty, as were nearly every other (but not all). In other words, most of my mail is gone into the Trash. Yes, they can be retrieved, but it then seem pointless to have Mailboxes dedicated to something and Archiving being automatic (but apparently not everything in spite of "all mail" remark. Then when Archive is deleted it Trashes the contents of the Mailbox as well! Beats me.
By the way, I only recently moved from Outlook to Apple Mail as El Capitan has trashed Outlook. Maybe it was time for a change, anyway. So I am not 100% Apple Mail literate. Can anyone help?

solar
6th November 2015, 08:07 PM
apple mac has gone and f*&^ed everyone. Good Luck

MadKiwi
7th November 2015, 05:54 AM
apple mac has gone and f*&^ed everyone. Good Luck

Actually I think the entire later versions of OS X have turned to cr@p which is why I've now moved back to my Windows PC. Windows 10 is actually very nice to use.

Sticking with the iPhone and iPad for now, but not sure how long that will last

MissionMan
7th November 2015, 09:30 PM
Actually I think the entire later versions of OS X have turned to cr@p which is why I've now moved back to my Windows PC. Windows 10 is actually very nice to use.

Sticking with the iPhone and iPad for now, but not sure how long that will last

Been there, done that, had to restart my machine at least once a day

kaisersozay
8th November 2015, 04:04 PM
This whole thing is mightily frustrating and back to my OP... can anyone tell me how to stop Apple Mail from Archiving everything?

MissionMan
8th November 2015, 04:28 PM
This whole thing is mightily frustrating and back to my OP... can anyone tell me how to stop Apple Mail from Archiving everything?

Are you using gmail? If so, the issue is in gmail, not Apple Mail.

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-28390622-580316/Screen+Shot+2015-06-12+at+8.46.00+AM.png

kaisersozay
8th November 2015, 05:14 PM
Thanks MissionMan. I did search through the GMail settings, but ignored Forwarding an POP/IMAP. Followed your post and let's see what follows.
I am hoping for a resolution. Cheers.

MissionMan
8th November 2015, 06:05 PM
Thanks MissionMan. I did search through the GMail settings, but ignored Forwarding an POP/IMAP. Followed your post and let's see what follows.
I am hoping for a resolution. Cheers.

One of the settings is set to Archive by default. If you do a search for switching off Archive on Apple Mail, it seems to be related to gmail. My non-gmail Apple mail doesn't have this issue.