PDA

View Full Version : Non-linear writing app?

eni
12th September 2004, 05:55 PM
In contrast to some of my inane ramblings on these forums, I have a passion for writing.

Does anyone know good planning/writing program for OS X? Currently I'm using Z-Write, but to be honest it's a bit lacking and annoying. There's a large difference between simplicity (something I'm a big fan of) and creative restriction.

On Windows I wrote and used my own custom program which although lacking professional polish, had features of Z-Write, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner and features I haven't found in other programs all rolled into one.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or would my best option be to port (well, I'd rewrite) my own?

Disko
12th September 2004, 06:03 PM
you mean like a journal?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7759
MacJournal is a very good, free app...

eni
12th September 2004, 06:17 PM
Just downloaded MacJournal and it's a really nice, clean app but that isn't what I'm after.

...I don't know how to describe what I want. I'm looking for something that allows me to collate notes, ideas, thoughts and thought processes (both in written form and diagrammatically). Then, go back and expand on those into full text (like, chapters when thinking of a book or scenes when a play or script). I'd also appreciate if it had formatting and output options to allow exporting the final text into html to allow friends to proof read, etc. Actually...thinking about it I'd probably be best writing my own. I think my requirements are too confusing. Thanks.

Damian
12th September 2004, 07:43 PM
Ulysses might be worth a look - writer's tool:

http://www.blue-tec.com/ulysses/features.php

I had a play with the beta a while back.

Damian

eni
14th September 2004, 02:57 PM
That's quite a nice app Damian. Thank you.

...isn't there one DEFINITIVE writers tool? One with enough customisation to suit and adjust to different peoples thought processes while still being structured enough to remain really simple to use.

Would there be a market for another writers app? Is this too tiny of a market, or too saturated already? Or one killer software niche market?

Everything I find...simply sucks. Not sucks as in they're bad...rather they're lacking. I don't mean they're simple, I love simplicity. Actually I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. Anyone reading this is wondering why someone who can't put together proper sentences is interested in a writers tool :P

I don't want to have to write my own tool. I want to find something which fits what I want, pick it up and use it. It looks like that isn't going to happen...even if it is just my particular nature (which I don't necessarily define as a negative quality).

kim jong il
14th September 2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by eni@Sep 14 2004, 02:57 PM

.........isn't there one DEFINITIVE writers tool? One with enough customisation to suit and adjust to different peoples thought processes while still being structured enough to remain really simple to use.

Would there be a market for another writers app? Is this too tiny of a market, or too saturated already? Or one killer software niche market?

Everything I find...simply sucks. Not sucks as in they're bad...rather they're lacking. I don't mean they're simple, I love simplicity. Actually I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. Anyone reading this is wondering why someone who can't put together proper sentences is interested in a writers tool :P...........

I was interested by the concept of a 'writers tool' and so googled 'macintosh writers tool' There are simply heaps of them. In varying degrees they offer all sorts of customisation. Actually its a pretty good idea. I suspect a lot of these started as individuals produced software to do just what they wanted just like you do. I think the problem is that while many share basic features, special features are more of an individual thing and these needs can be quite variable. As for not being able to string sentences together, is this not why one would want the tool in the first place? It seems quite logical (if we were wondering). To me anyway (I'm not sure if this is good or bad.....)