PDA

View Full Version : 10.3 Isssues

the_argon
6th January 2004, 09:53 AM
All was going well with my 10.3 experience until a couple of weeks ago...

10.3 had kernel panic, displayed the usual message and crashed the computer. I dismissed it as just another crash due to a minor bug in 10.3 (at this point the update wasn't available.) So I reset the machine, kernel panic, reset again, kernel panic.

It has a kernel panic as soon as it starts up (just after the memory check I assume.) The error message off the top of my head is "Unable to load driver: PowerPC"

Now, all this wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have critical files on the computer.

Somehow I need to try and retrive the files off the hard disk. I thought about putting the HD in my linux box, but I don't think it has HFS+ support (and that really will be the last resort.)

The thing that frustrates me the most is that I cant even get to console, even from the 10.3 cd's if I could get a terminal window or something happening I could at least mount the drive and check to see if the filesystem is still intact.

Any suggestions?

decryption
6th January 2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by the_argon@Jan 6 2004, 10:53 AM
All was going well with my 10.3 experience until a couple of weeks ago...

10.3 had kernel panic, displayed the usual message and crashed the computer. I dismissed it as just another crash due to a minor bug in 10.3 (at this point the update wasn't available.) So I reset the machine, kernel panic, reset again, kernel panic.

It has a kernel panic as soon as it starts up (just after the memory check I assume.) The error message off the top of my head is "Unable to load driver: PowerPC"

Now, all this wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have critical files on the computer.

Somehow I need to try and retrive the files off the hard disk. I thought about putting the HD in my linux box, but I don't think it has HFS+ support (and that really will be the last resort.)

The thing that frustrates me the most is that I cant even get to console, even from the 10.3 cd's if I could get a terminal window or something happening I could at least mount the drive and check to see if the filesystem is still intact.

Any suggestions?
I know it's your last resort, but there is HFS+ support in Linux, when you compile the kernel (must be 2.4) install HFS+ support as a module, then update your fstab with the new drive, then mount it and it should all be there. But I don't think you're able to write to a HFS partition however, just read-only. Which should be enough to burn your precious data onto a CD so it lives another day :P
More info here on this site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-hfsplus and here http://www.johnleach.co.uk/documents/powerpc/

the_argon
6th January 2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the links

The only thing I am worried about is if linux makes any changes at all to the disk partition table then all data will be lost.

Mac has it's own disk partition format. FIXME

I am going to see if I can rescue it with another mac, using firewire mode.

I'll take some notes and post them here for future reference.

Shawry
6th January 2004, 07:45 PM
Is it feasible to purchase another HDD to replace your current one and then isntall your current one as a 2nd HDD after installing the OS?

Disko
7th January 2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Shawry@Jan 6 2004, 08:15 PM
Is it feasible to purchase another HDD to replace your current one and then isntall your current one as a 2nd HDD after installing the OS?
He's talking about his G3 imac, which you can't fit extra hard drives in afaik.
We're going to try hooking my powerbook up to it and trying to fix it that way...

elvis
7th January 2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by the_argon@Jan 6 2004, 01:06 PM
The only thing I am worried about is if linux makes any changes at all to the disk partition table then all data will be lost.

linux will not make changes to the file system nor files. also, you can mount a partition as read only if you are ultra paranoid.

elvis
7th January 2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Jan 7 2004, 09:14 AM
He's talking about his G3 imac, which you can't fit extra hard drives in afaik.
you cannot physically fit a drive in the iMac, but open that puppy up and you can throw a drive on the IDE channel the CDROM uses.

if you had a spare IDE hard disk lying around, i'd be doing this:

1) take out original stuffed hard disk, put in new blank hard disk

2) load a stable OSX using the CDROM

3) power down, and replace CDROM with stuffed hard disk (setting it to "slave" of course)

4) boot up, and gain access to all your files.

that should do it. :)

Shawry
7th January 2004, 10:39 PM
You can always just dangle the IDE cable out from the case to attach drives. I've had my computer sprawled across my entire desk while i was inbetween cases :P

the_argon
13th January 2004, 11:17 AM
Ok, well...

after getting disko to d/l various utilities and all of teh downloads being corrupt. I decided to admit defeat and re-partition the drive and reformat it.

</notes>

It&#39;s now running a fresh install of 10.3.2 (previously it was a archive & install.)

Runs much better now at least&#33;

purana
20th January 2004, 03:43 PM
Did you ever think of booting to the install media and running the disk repair stuff? maybe the drive had some little disk problem.. which was causing the problem? or atleast rule it out.

I also would of booted to single user mode and ran fsck etc :)

Disko
20th January 2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Jan 20 2004, 04:13 PM
Did you ever think of booting to the install media and running the disk repair stuff? maybe the drive had some little disk problem.. which was causing the problem? or atleast rule it out.

The disk wasn&#39;t accessible when you tried repairing it using disk utility in the pather install disks, and single user mode wouldn&#39;t start before the kernel panic kicked in.

But all is fixed now - by way of a disk erase and clean install.

stevejay
21st January 2004, 07:10 AM
Edit: Whoops, ignore, didn&#39;t read last post so I erase my suggestion :)

the_argon
21st January 2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by iodine@Jan 20 2004, 04:13 PM

Yeah, tried that. The error reported from disk utility was &#39;Invalid B-Tree Node size.&#39;

purana
21st January 2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by the_argon@Jan 21 2004, 09:03 AM
Yeah, tried that. The error reported from disk utility was &#39;Invalid B-Tree Node size.&#39;
bummer.

mbd
23rd January 2004, 11:10 PM
Hi,

Not sure if you tried this, but if you have a second mac and this happens again, you could try mounting the machine with the non-working system in target disk mode via firewire to the working machine... You start the working machine, switch off the broken machine, connect a firewire cable between them, and then start the broken machine while holding the &#39;T&#39; key. It will then act like an external firewire disk, and (hopefully) be accessible from the desktop of the working machine...

Disko
23rd January 2004, 11:13 PM
hey rocket, and welcome to ATA.
the_argon and I tried that, unfortunately, the error was in the Hard drive itself, so no booting from it was possible at all. In firewire mode, the HD showed up on my powerbook, but it was unaccessable, and unrepairable.

But like i said before, it&#39;s fixed now, through a format and re install.