PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight

profaen
4th August 2015, 09:56 PM
I used to use Spotlight a lot and found it very useful for finding files and documents on my Macbook.
Now I find it almost useless.
I am running Yosemite 10.10.4.
I have gone into System Prefs. and re ordered the search criteria, but that hasn't improved anything.
Tried restarts etc. but the old funcionality of spotlight has gone.
It runs really slowly, and rarely finds folders that I know are sitting on the desktop.
Any suggestions?

kyte
10th August 2015, 05:58 AM
I also used to use Spotlight a lot but now its just as fast to search manually. I don't like what its become, trying to be all things at once. I can't offer any suggestions except a downgrade of the OS to get the old spotlight back (was that in ML or Mavericks, I can't remember).

Perhaps it might be worth looking at cleaning out caches and trash as well, I regularly use clean my mac2 for that and things do get faster once you get rid of a bunch of crud that doesnt need to be there.

Oldmacs
11th August 2015, 01:35 PM
I also used to use Spotlight a lot but now its just as fast to search manually. I don't like what its become, trying to be all things at once. I can't offer any suggestions except a downgrade of the OS to get the old spotlight back (was that in ML or Mavericks, I can't remember).

Perhaps it might be worth looking at cleaning out caches and trash as well, I regularly use clean my mac2 for that and things do get faster once you get rid of a bunch of crud that doesnt need to be there.

It was Yosemite that introduced the new search, and I'm a bit indifferent about it... I think the old one was a bit better in some ways, but the new one also has its benefits. I remember when Yosemite first came out I really didn't like Spotlight as they changed something major, but I can't remember what that change was.

I do hate that the Yosemite takes up the whole middle of the screen, but apparently El Capitan allows you to move the search window.

baobab68
11th August 2015, 10:02 PM
You can try going to Spotlight's Privacy tab and adding your hard drive in there as a non-indexable folder, then wait a few minutes, reboot, and remove it from the same screen and let Spotlight rebuild its index. There are terminal commands to do the same thing as well.

soulman
13th August 2015, 05:29 PM
Yeah, try re-indexing as per baobab68's post. It's pretty straightforward. You don't even need to wait or reboot actually. Just drag your HD into the window under the Privacy tab and close System Preferences. Now open Spotlight Preferences again, select it and click the "-" button and it will start to create a new index. This might take a while - maybe up to an hour or so - if you've got lots of files on your hard disk. Usually it's pretty quick if you've got an SSD though.

Spotlight is not straight up search though. It's what you might call a curated search - it'll find things Apple reckons you'll be looking for - but it is frustrating when you're looking for stuff and it won't return results. I use EasyFind for old style searching, but Spotlight is a great app launcher and it seems to work quite well for most things I look for. It sucks when it doesn't though. Good there are alternatives.