PDA

View Full Version : Join .Mac or not?

ricky1206
11th September 2004, 06:21 PM
I've signed up for the 60 days trial. Should I join .mac after 60 days ? $99.95 USD/year :(

Quamen
11th September 2004, 06:25 PM
I used the trial for a bit. After I was finished I didn't think it was worth spending money on.

decryption
11th September 2004, 06:47 PM
It's cool, but overpriced.
All the features .Mac provices you can get for free elsewhere.

kim jong il
12th September 2004, 03:53 AM
Never bothered to sign up for the trial, didn't seem worth it. I don't know what any of the 'cool' features are either. Its not exactly as if Apple advertise these. All I can recall is the dialogue box asking if I want to create my trial account during the OS X install. I could try to search the Apple site but this always tends to piss me off. I find that I need to know the answer first to be able to ask the right questions (the knowlege base is the main offender) It sort of defeats the purpose really.

Husq
12th September 2004, 08:21 AM
I've been deciding if I will be renewing my subscription this December, and unless apple change the current .Mac setup I'd have to say I won't be. It was great a few years ago when the service was new and there was less competition in the marketplace.

Will you be publishing photos to the .mac site from iPhoto or backing up settings (safari, iCal)? If not then the 15MB email box limit, lack of .apple.com domain, 100MB disk limit all don't really make the US$99 worth it as other services provide this facility.

Bring on a Gig disk limit and I'll be on board.

sillydog701
12th September 2004, 11:10 AM
.Mac is really about the convenience and the close integration with OS X. It is not really about the web space, mail size, but to make Mac a very Mac way - easy to use.

Well, a few features are limited to .Mac account users, such as Backup and syncing.

To me, I have a dedicated server for myself, I don't think it's really worth 99USD for me to get the "convenience". I know .Mac is not selling the "size" but... too expensive.

Phillip
12th September 2004, 12:04 PM
for the sync settings across network computers, longhorn will have that FREE.

personally, i think dotmac is the biggest waste of money, but the homepages seems cool. if only apple would up the storage to 1 gb or something and make idisk work better with pcs.