PDA

View Full Version : G3 Beige

prak97
18th July 2015, 08:02 PM
I think the power unit died on the G3 Beige , it booted a couple of times , but there was no display on the monitor . So I assume the monitor is dead also .
Is it difficult to replace the power unit ?? assuming that's what it is .( and I'm not a techie ).

Bit of a masochist but I hate it when things work one day and not the next .

LCGuy
19th July 2015, 10:53 AM
When you boot the machine do you hear a startup sound, or the sound of breaking glass? Can you hear the fan or HDD spin up? Also, have you tried another monitor? Try reseating the RAM, or the ROM SIMM. Also try starting it with no drives attached. Try some different RAM if you have any spare that is suitable.

Is the monitor you are trying to use an older Apple monitor, or a standard VGA monitor with an adapter? If you are using a VGA monitor with an adapter, make sure that you've set the right settings on the adapter.

The power supply is fairly easy to replace so long as you have experience repairing desktop machines.

The great thing about the Beige G3 is that it will actually take a standard ATX (PC) power supply without needing any mods. All you have to do - if you have a G3 desktop, is move a jumper. On the logic board there's a set of jumper pins with a jumper that can be in two positions - "MAC" or "PS2". On a G3 desktop this will be in the "MAC" position. To run it off a tower power supply, or an ATX power supply you will need to move this to the "PS2" position. If you have a tower it should already be in the "PS2" position, in which case you can just plug the ATX PSU straight into the logic board.

prak97
19th July 2015, 01:42 PM
When you boot the machine do you hear a startup sound, or the sound of breaking glass? Can you hear the fan or HDD spin up? Also, have you tried another monitor? Try reseating the RAM, or the ROM SIMM. Also try starting it with no drives attached. Try some different RAM if you have any spare that is suitable.

Is the monitor you are trying to use an older Apple monitor, or a standard VGA monitor with an adapter? If you are using a VGA monitor with an adapter, make sure that you've set the right settings on the adapter.

The power supply is fairly easy to replace so long as you have experience repairing desktop machines.

The great thing about the Beige G3 is that it will actually take a standard ATX (PC) power supply without needing any mods. All you have to do - if you have a G3 desktop, is move a jumper. On the logic board there's a set of jumper pins with a jumper that can be in two positions - "MAC" or "PS2". On a G3 desktop this will be in the "MAC" position. To run it off a tower power supply, or an ATX power supply you will need to move this to the "PS2" position. If you have a tower it should already be in the "PS2" position, in which case you can just plug the ATX PSU straight into the logic board.

Thanks ....No there's no sign of power to anything , no fan noise , no HD noise .
The monitor is the original Apple , this system worked a few years ago , but I transported it recently on the back seat of the car ..so its possible something got dis-lodged ...then like I said the G3 started ( twice ) , the monitor appears to have no power at all .
Thanks for your suggestions , I'll try them , and see if it makes a difference .
I did try the CUDA reset button thing , made no difference.

prak97
22nd July 2015, 09:46 AM
Thanks ....No there's no sign of power to anything , no fan noise , no HD noise .
The monitor is the original Apple , this system worked a few years ago , but I transported it recently on the back seat of the car ..so its possible something got dis-lodged ...then like I said the G3 started ( twice ) , the monitor appears to have no power at all .
Thanks for your suggestions , I'll try them , and see if it makes a difference .
I did try the CUDA reset button thing , made no difference.

Ok I switched the jumper and attached an ATX supply , reseated the Ram and video card ..no go .
So I think there's a fried Logic board , or something beyond my capability .
...and another G3 is consigned to the dustbin of history ....accompanied by a 5300c ....which at least has power .....but nothing else .

LCGuy
22nd July 2015, 12:55 PM
The G3 has onboard video - have you tried it without the video card, with just the onboard video? Try booting it in a completely stripped down configuration, with one RAM module (if it doesn't boot, try different RAM modules, one at a time, also try different slots - my G3 has a busted RAM slot and won't boot if there's a module in it), with no PCI cards installed, and no drives connected.

prak97
22nd July 2015, 03:30 PM
ok tried all that ( the 'video' card looks like an 'audio 'card actually )....stripped out that card , disconnected 2nd HD , tried the Ram card switcheroo ....and still nothing . The pram battery I also took out ( I assume it's dead too ) .