PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC 7

the_OM
11th September 2004, 04:34 PM
Okay, i'm not sure what the rules are regarding discussing an app that isn't released yet. So if I'm in breach of the rules talking about the app, then please delete this thread.

Anyways, I just started mucking around with the vpc 7 beta running windows 2000 on my powerbook, and there are some nice improvements to it. My external hd's are detected automatically (i had some problems in vpc 6) and the speed improvement is nice. The rough estimate around the place was about a 30% increase, and this seem fairly accurate. I'd love to see how well this thing fairs on a dual G5. Graphics are also a lot better now that it has native graphics card support.

The fast save function on it is a great addition. Instead of having to wait for windows to shut-down like in vpc 6, you can just click the close button and windows goes into sleep mode. I haven't tried printing or anything just yet but it says that it is picking up my printer with having me install windows drivers, so I guess they've added printing through Mac OS X.

Still, it doesn't pick-up firwire devices, namely my iSight. I would love to be able to video-chat through msn, and because the mac version doesn't offer that, i can only do it through windows. But without firewire support, it won't pick up my isight. Does anyone know if firewire support was something that they were supposed to have?

Anyways, its a pretty nice improvement I have to say, and I'll be paying for a copy when its released.

[this post has been edited by Disko]

titan44
11th September 2004, 05:02 PM
I don't want to sound like a fanboy here (arn't we all ) but WHY?

What apps are you guys running that needs VPC?, the only thing that i hit the wall with as far as not being able to do it with osx was a pcl viewer, and i'm sure ghostscript or something could do that.

Disko
11th September 2004, 05:26 PM
Virtual PC 7 is fantastic. I've seen it run - and it goes very fast. No lag at all in win2k.

four apples.

notb4dinner
11th September 2004, 05:31 PM
Can anyone comment on the raw speed of VPC7 rather than just the UI responsiveness? On my 1.33GHz PB with 768MB RAM under VPC6 everything is very smooth and fine to use until I try to do anything at all CPU intensive (namely compiling VHDL) at which point the picture becomes less rosy - 5minute compile timess vs. <1minute on my 1.2GHz Athlon.

Quamen
11th September 2004, 05:41 PM
where can one get a copy of the beta? If it wasn&#39;t released publicly what were the conditions you needed to meet to grab a copy?

decryption
11th September 2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by titan44@Sep 11 2004, 05:02 PM
I don&#39;t want to sound like a fanboy here (arn&#39;t we all ) but WHY?

What apps are you guys running that needs VPC?, the only thing that i hit the wall with as far as not being able to do it with osx was a pcl viewer, and i&#39;m sure ghostscript or something could do that.
Work for TAFE really.
Setting up a Windows Domain Controller and running IIS, learning to write batch files, using some gaybar help desk app.
I could just have a 2nd Windows machine around, but having it all on the one machine is really convienient.

Currawong
12th September 2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Sep 11 2004, 05:41 PM
where can one get a copy of the beta? If it wasn&#39;t released publicly what were the conditions you needed to meet to grab a copy?
You&#39;d have to be a MS beta tester.

teej
12th September 2004, 01:27 PM
Anyone tried this with something other than Windows?

dev_enter
12th September 2004, 01:35 PM
I don&#39;t believe it works with non-Windows Operating Systems like the older VPCs did.

the_argon
12th September 2004, 01:45 PM
Yep, it does, it asks you when you set up a new pc wether it&#39;s 95, 98, 2000, XP, DOS, Linux or Unix

dev_enter
12th September 2004, 01:58 PM
Hmmn, it seems you&#39;re right, but the guys over at emuscene.com have mentioned a lot of problems getting Linux to work using VPC, so even if it&#39;s possible, you&#39;ll probably have to do a lot more fiddling around with settings just to get it going.

Disko
12th September 2004, 02:41 PM
VPC has always needed a bit of a fiddle to run linux though.