PDA

View Full Version : Mac Book Pro - Backing up & reinstallating OS system

gollys
22nd June 2015, 02:35 PM
I noticed I had only 18GB left on my Mac Book Pro (2010 model running Mavericks) and so I deleted quite a few files and managed to get 90 GB back in total.
But I also deleted about 30GB of movie files but it is still showing only 90GB left (so has not given me the 30 GB back that I expected) I thought I should have 120GB free now?????

So I am thinking maybe the only way to fix that to get the space back is to re-install the operating system again? Unless someone has another option?

Should I just to a complete re-install to clean it up?

Thank you in advance.

leon
22nd June 2015, 03:21 PM
After you deleted the videos did you empty the trash?

gollys
22nd June 2015, 04:17 PM
After you deleted the videos did you empty the trash?

Yes I did.

The_Hawk
22nd June 2015, 05:05 PM
Where were the videos? Were they purchased online and not actually downloaded yet?
Secure empty?
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

To go in another direction:

What system are we talking about?
How long has it been running in it's current config?

Maybe it's a hold over from my Windows days, but I like to do a periodic clean install if only for my own peace of mind (I known I tinker). Further, depending on what you currently have, maybe it's time to consider a larger HDD of some sort or an upgrade to SSD (again depending on what you are currently running).

It can simplify things to do a clean install on a fresh HDD, less backing up since you're not touching the original (although backups are always good too).

gollys
22nd June 2015, 10:03 PM
Where were the videos? Were they purchased online and not actually downloaded yet?
Secure empty?
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

To go in another direction:

What system are we talking about?
How long has it been running in it's current config?

Maybe it's a hold over from my Windows days, but I like to do a periodic clean install if only for my own peace of mind (I known I tinker). Further, depending on what you currently have, maybe it's time to consider a larger HDD of some sort or an upgrade to SSD (again depending on what you are currently running).

It can simplify things to do a clean install on a fresh HDD, less backing up since you're not touching the original (although backups are always good too).

The videos were MP4s that i had saved as downloads mostly (not iTunes).
My Mac Book Pro is 2010 model with 250GB storage.

I dont use it for movie editing or photo editing etc.

I purchased when it was Snow Leopard and now run Mavericks successfully on it (have not upgraded to Yosemite due to many having wifi issues) and I am happy with Mavericks.

Maybe after 5 years it is time to do a fresh install and start over I guess???????

I have backed up things weekly using time machine, but to be honest, I keep all things like photos etc on external hard drives so that is not an issue.
It is just I would rather not have the hassle of a clean install if I could get away with it as really the mac book works great.

I am actually selling my iMac as I do not use it and thought I would just keep to my Mac Book Pro until I upgrade later in the year and just wanted to add my iTunes library on it which is 50GB on its own.

Time to do a fresh install maybe I have just clutter in the background I dont know of?

The_Hawk
22nd June 2015, 10:05 PM
SSD time??!!