PDA

View Full Version : Backing up before reinstall

Owley
12th June 2015, 08:40 PM
I need to reinstall the OX on my MacBook. I want to make sure I back up everything I should, So gar I have BU all the main folders, Applications, Documents etc. Is there anything else I need to Back up so when after I reinstall OX Things will work the same as before?

IW

Thingme
12th June 2015, 10:41 PM
You've not mentioned your Home Directories. Lots of important settings data in there.

Time Machine? Or Carbon Copy Cloner? Either can make the backup and recovery process pretty simple.

From your description that's a pretty awkward method you've chosen. Clone all of it and cherry-pick what you need afterwards. By the way if you've been using iCloud for document storage they'll still be there for access by the new OS installation.

Oh and its much better to reinstall apps from original sources than to copy them because often app installs create files elsewhere and a copied app missing its datafiles may not work properly. Are most of the apps sourced from the App Store? You still have rights to download/install them again.

Peter.

Owley
12th June 2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks Peter,

Yes I have iCloud forgot about those back ups. I have time machine but it got turned off for some reason so do not have recent backup there. You mentioned "Home Directory" where do I fine those?

Ian

Thingme
13th June 2015, 08:19 AM
It's in Users/[yourusername]. There are many app supoort files, your preferences for choices you've made in apps, caches, and much more. It's well worth a look.

Depending on what Mac OS your currently using, the user Library is inconveniently hidden for a weird reason known only to Apple. You can access that as follows.

In the Finder, drop the Go menu while holding down the Option key. Choose Library.

By the way, you can reactivate Time Machine in your System Preferences at any time and it will resume the backup process. Or, begin a new backup process. It'll take an hour or so. Seriously, this backup will be a great advantage for your upgrade intentions. But whether you use it is up to you. After the new OS is installed it asks what data you want to import or restore and from where. Time machine is the answer.

Peter

Owley
13th June 2015, 09:48 PM
Peter,

Thanks, that is excellent information, I have reactivated Time Machine, and will use that as part of the process. Thanks again.

Thingme
14th June 2015, 12:26 PM
Welcome