PDA

View Full Version : I Love Lamp 1.5 released

marc
28th January 2006, 07:24 PM
http://islayer.com/otherImages/widgets/V4/screens/ILoveLamp.jpg

Bring the 60's to your dashboard with I Love Lamp, a lava lamp widget that uses Quartz to render a non-stop stream of animated bubbles.
I Love Lamp uses an open source Quartz Composer Plugin. For more information on the plugin visit qcw-plugin.sourceforge.net.

I Love Lamp is a universal binary, as are all of our widgets.
What's new in version 1.5 Far more efficient than version 1.1 (up to 20x more efficient!)
More shapes and skins (7 in total now)
New lava algorithm (the old algorithm has been kept in the "Red Classic" skin) The lava now pauses when dashboard is inactive and unpauses when it becomes active, rather than restarting

Hope you all like it!

Download it here (http://islayer.com/viewWidget.php?id=20)

Wheels
28th January 2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks marc and iSlayer...........was waiting for this one after you showed me the pics of this the other day.

Goodbye
28th January 2006, 07:44 PM
Great! I love the skins, and the pausing when Dashboard is inactive was a much needed "feature".

On a slightly different, but related, note. Does anyone know where I can actually buy a lava lamp that looks like these?

ruegen
28th January 2006, 07:46 PM
Beautiful! :)

Georgina EG
28th January 2006, 07:57 PM
I couldn't get the previous ones to work Marc, but this one does.

Edit: After watching television and switching my iMac back on, I found the Trash basket full again this time with two items, one stating I love lamp widget, and the other I love lamp zip.

Will this continue to appear marc?

Squozen
28th January 2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Goodbye@Jan 28 2006, 07:44 PM
Great! I love the skins, and the pausing when Dashboard is inactive was a much needed "feature".

On a slightly different, but related, note. Does anyone know where I can actually buy a lava lamp that looks like these?
I have two lava lamps, one a genuine Mathmos that looks just like the Retro Silver skin. I'll try to find the box for it to figure out who the Australian distributor is, but it's not very difficult to buy them in Melbourne.

marc
29th January 2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Georgina EG@Jan 28 2006, 07:57 PM
I found the Trash basket full again this time with two items, one stating I love lamp widget, and the other I love lamp zip.

Will this continue to appear marc?
I'm not sure, but that sounds like an OS X thing, not a widget thing. The download is just a link to a ZIP file. We have no control over where the system puts it after unarchiving.

Can you confirm that it didn't happen again?

marc
29th January 2006, 10:03 AM
Is the widget working ok for everyone?

We've had one report of the centre showing up as an unmasked box. I'm assuming this is only on older, non CoreImage supported systems.

Wheels
29th January 2006, 10:04 AM
After watching television and switching my iMac back on, I found the Trash basket full again this time with two items, one stating I love lamp widget, and the other I love lamp zip.

You could have pressed "clear" on the downloads window of Safari and this would have put it there. Also OS X will do that once everytime you install a new widget because after unarchiving, it trashes the ZIP file.

Edit - I had the same thing because the old I Love Lamp widget is being trashed too. This accounts for the second file.

Edit 2 - Yes Marc, my widget is working fine.

Georgina EG
29th January 2006, 10:18 AM
Hi marc, no the two items in the Trash haven't appeared again, however, now when I click onto Dashboard, two of the lamps appear overlapping each other, and then disappear completely as my other widgets load.

marc
29th January 2006, 11:01 AM
Georgina, please try removing all the I Love Lamp widgets from your dashboard by opening the dashboard tray then clicking the "x" in the top left hand corner. Then please add a new I Love Lamp widget.

Georgina EG
29th January 2006, 10:41 PM
Marc, I've just logged on, and clicking onto Dashboard, your lamp is now working, I didn't have to do anything. Initially a second lamp came on as before, but disappeared leaving the one I have now.

Georgina EG
1st February 2006, 09:35 PM
An update marc . . . I've just clicked onto Dashboard and THREE lamps appeared, and although I expected the two close together to disappear as they've done before, they remained. I've clicked them off, but they seem to have a mind of their own.

froggy
1st February 2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Goodbye@Jan 28 2006, 07:44 PM
Try your local Science Museum shop?

marc
2nd February 2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Georgina EG@Feb 1 2006, 09:35 PM
An update marc . . . I've just clicked onto Dashboard and THREE lamps appeared, and although I expected the two close together to disappear as they've done before, they remained. I've clicked them off, but they seem to have a mind of their own.
:(

Not sure about that. We'll look into it!

iluvmymactoo
2nd February 2006, 01:34 PM
What's the purpose of this widget again? I'm sure it was fun for you guys to create but having widgets that serve no useful purpose (or that don't work as they should) is kind of pointless really.

Disko
2nd February 2006, 01:37 PM
Its a bit of fun, thats all. I think they've done an awesome job. :thumbup:

ford.boy
2nd February 2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Feb 2 2006, 01:34 PM
What's the purpose of this widget again? I'm sure it was fun for you guys to create but having widgets that serve no useful purpose (or that don't work as they should) is kind of pointless really.
It's an exercise to see what is and what isn't possible in coding a widget. Also to further the coding skills of the programers. But so pointless :huh:

hawker
2nd February 2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Feb 2 2006, 01:04 PM
It's equal to iTunes visualizer. Which I sit and watch whem I'm bored. So I think it is kinda cool!

Georgina EG
2nd February 2006, 03:23 PM
Disko's right, it's just a bit of fun, and at the very least it shows us the alternative skills of those who develop such things.

What I would like to see now is a widget of one of those dangling corkscrew wind creations . . . also having no purpose except to delight.

marc
2nd February 2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Feb 2 2006, 01:34 PM
What's the purpose of this widget again?
Like other have said, it's just eye candy.

We actually made it after a request!

hawker
2nd February 2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by marc@Feb 2 2006, 03:20 PM
What sort of requests are you open to? I have a couple of ideas for widgets!

iluvmymactoo
2nd February 2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by marc@Feb 2 2006, 03:50 PM
Like other have said, it's just eye candy.

Don't get me wrong, it's very clever and a good exercise in basic programming for you I'm sure. It's just not my cup of tea. I never did go into that widget downloading frenzy when Tiger came out.

hawker
2nd February 2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Feb 2 2006, 03:25 PM
I never did go into that widget downloading frenzy when Tiger came out.
Where were you hiding iluv :P everyone went widget mad... Most of us still are! we have forums to cure us etc ;)

marc
2nd February 2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Feb 2 2006, 03:51 PM
What sort of requests are you open to? I have a couple of ideas for widgets!
We're open to all requests!

We just can't guarantee we'll make them :P

And yeah, I'm still in a widget downloading frenzy :blink:

Georgina EG
2nd February 2006, 04:44 PM
Marc, see my previous post about the corkscrew wind thing.

marc
2nd February 2006, 05:10 PM
Sure did :)

Squozen
11th February 2006, 09:57 AM
v1.6 seems to have lost the ability to flip over, at least for me (using the silver skin I believe).

iSlayer
11th February 2006, 10:03 AM
hmm a few people have reported that.im at a loss to explain it as i didnt change anything that would affect it in 1.6 and its working on both my systems

What version of tiger are you running ?

marc
11th February 2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Feb 11 2006, 09:57 AM
v1.6 seems to have lost the ability to flip over, at least for me (using the silver skin I believe).
Reloading via Apple-R once or twice seems to fix it (well, at least as a work-around).

We're looking into that... I've had it happen once or twice here.