PDA

View Full Version : iMac (2007) can't find the finder, using OS 10.6.8

profitclinic
8th June 2015, 04:24 PM
My wife's iMac (2007) as suddenly lost either the start-up disk or finder on start-up and just displays the lost folder icon.

I've totally forgotten how to handle this issue. Can't find it in forum archives either.

Any suggestions please?

MacOS 10.6.8 (need to run old software to update existing files).

kyte
8th June 2015, 04:59 PM
Do you mean that the computer doesnt start up and only shows a flashing icon on a blank screen? Or you have a ? in place of the Finder on the otherwise normal dock?

In the case of the first, the system will have to be reinstalled (it may be a dud disk, in which case... theres that, too) but in the case of the second... you may need to do a repair with disk utility (not sure if that would work, but it might). If you havent got disk utility planted on the dock (I keep mine there all the time, just in case) I've no idea how to access it other than through Finder.

I don't suppose theres a time machine backup to access? Or Carbon copy cloner or superduper? Any of those would make the process much easier.

profitclinic
9th June 2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks Sue. Looks like a re-install. :(

Byrd
10th June 2015, 08:54 AM
Looks like a re-install. :(

Once you've worked out the hard disk is good - check it out via Disk Utility, agro :)