PDA

View Full Version : Acquired a PowerBook 180c that won't turn on

Epalma98
8th June 2015, 03:26 PM
So my physics teacher has had an old Macintosh PowerBook 180c laying around in his lab so on the last day of school I jokingly asked him if I could have it and he said go right ahead. The only problem is it doesn't turn on. I have no clue how to fix it so that's why I'm on here asking anyone how I can solve this problem.

Byrd
8th June 2015, 07:37 PM
Welcome Epalma,

Nice find - the best Powerbook 1x0 released! :)

First thing would be to pull the battery and leave it plugged in for a few hours. Don't touch it. After a few hours, press the large round power button on the back of the device and see what happens. My experience with PB 1x0 is that they need some "coaxing" to power up after inactivity, it might turn on then quickly switch off. Keep trying and eventually it should come to life, assuming you get this far.

Next thing would be to confirm if the power adapter works - these often fail over time with faulty capacitors. If electronically minded I'd check the voltages on the DC jack; if dead a replacement power adapter can be replaced with a Jaycar unit and resoldering the existing DC jack onto this.

JB

Oldmacs
8th June 2015, 07:42 PM
I agree with making sure the adaptor actually works :P

Welcome to Mactalk and yes its an awesome machine :D