PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Apple Watch, what are you getting or giving it a miss?

SRG
10th April 2015, 04:54 PM
So pre-orders are open and you can get your order in for the new Apple Watch.

Let us know in the poll above what you are planning (pre-order, holding off until you see it and touch it then ordering, or giving it a miss, put me done for the Apple Watch 2.0). For the poll I am not getting caught up in the size or band combination just the model you are opting for.

Yes I know there a thing called the Apple Watch Edition, but I am going out on a limb and figuring no one at MacTalk will be ordering one of those (and I am not sure I would convinced if someone clicked that option TBH).

For me it is a giving it a miss for now.

evmorg
10th April 2015, 06:01 PM
Having had a Pebble watch for nearly two years, and being very impressed with it, despite its lack of some of the AW features, I decided to back their new Pebble Time rather than get an Apple Watch. I like having a watch that only needs charging once or twice a week, as opposed to every day. Plus, it'll do all of the basic stuff that I figure I'd use on an AW 99% of the time. And for me, the biggest feature was the price: less than half an AW. Of course, once I see an AW for real, I'll probably want one! ;-}

TimboC
10th April 2015, 08:20 PM
Yeah...what's with the Android option, but no mention of Pebble?! I've backed both Pebble Kickstarter programs, and am looking forward to my black and "gold" Pebble Time watches arriving before it's even likely I' could have an Apple watch delivered.

SRG
10th April 2015, 09:38 PM
All fixed :-)

leon
11th April 2015, 05:38 AM
Giving it a miss here.

Thingme
11th April 2015, 09:19 AM
Within about an hour of online pre-ordering being switched on, I ordered the 43mm stainless steel model with Milanese Loop band.

I wasn't gonna buy an 🍎Watch coz it's got to be charged every 24 hrs. My current solar watch never needs charging.

But geez, another 🍏Toy to play with.

When it came to decision time I couldn't resist. Got it to stop my iPhone 5s from feeling lonely.

Cheers,
Peter.

Goodbye
11th April 2015, 09:30 AM
The apps are what is getting me interested in the Watch, but it would need at least a day of battery life for me to consider one.

mitty
11th April 2015, 09:31 AM
I had a pebble since the original kickstarter run, but recently bought the Garmin Vivoactive Smartwatch. It has GPS and tracks my runs, it has notifications and the Connect IQ App Store. It's not as pretty as an Apple Watch but I don't need to carry my phone with me whilst running. It pairs with an Ant+ Heartrate monitor if I need it to.

If Apple Watch 2.0 has GPS I might consider it, but at the moment for $339 I'm very happy with this, plus it only needs charging once or twice a week!

Not to mention there was no hype and I just walked into the local cycle store and bought it on the day it was released in Oz :)

Warthog
11th April 2015, 11:46 AM
Not me, as I believe it is just an extension of the iPhone.
But then I might just buy the $24,000 18 carat gold model.
But I would have to sell the Hummer, damn.

Oldmacs
11th April 2015, 12:43 PM
Not me.. I want to live in the real world, not further in to the world that I am already addicted to. The Watch would just take over my life. At least when the iPhone is in my pocket/backpack there is far less of a temptation to use it. Secondly.. never buy a first gen product unless you have enough money to buy the second gen.I'm still happy I waited and bought an iPad 2 instead of an iPad 1, as I would have been stuck with an iPad 1 now (As I still don't have the money to upgrade my iPad 2 :P ).

TimboC
11th April 2015, 05:55 PM
Yep, I've dived straight in...as I have with nearly every Apple product since 1984! Someone has to be on the bleeding edge, and I'm no anaemic wait'n'see wimp. The only dog I've really had was a QuickTake camera. And they've all found ready buyers after I'd finished playing. 😜

Erwin
11th April 2015, 11:47 PM
I was going to wait for v2, but decided to take the plunge and got a his and hers Sports. I think it will help my wife more as she is constantly forgetting where her phone is, and I always have a hard time getting her - this way, my calls WILL get to her. :)

MadKiwi
12th April 2015, 06:19 AM
Giving it a miss, it offers nothing necessary or compelling. It's a case of Apple trying to play catch up with devices that already exist and doing so at an exorbitant price.

Apple will still sell huge amounts of them due to the brainwashed thinking that they "need" it but for this long time Apple fan it's simply something that I do not need or want.

Byrd
12th April 2015, 08:57 AM
No - $$$, no GPS, not waterproof, 1 day battery = waste of time in my mind

The_Hawk
12th April 2015, 09:06 AM
The charging aspect doesn't bother me too much, as long as it gets through a full day with *my* use patterns it would be acceptable.

BUT, I haven't worn a watch since 2009 when I got my 17" MBP after it scratched at the palm rest and drove me nuts. Since then I've tried a few times to wear a watch again and find myself so in the habit of looking at my phone I never look at the watch :P Of course maybe an Apple Watch would help with that.

Really though, I'd love a new shiny toy, but for the cost I don't see the value in it for me.

LCGuy
12th April 2015, 11:05 AM
Nup, smart watches aren't my thing.

mouseless
14th April 2015, 01:32 PM
Edition is amazingly underwhelming. Under the sparkly lights, almost impossible to tell the difference from the Watch.
They're all pretty underwhelming, both in appearance and function.
The mounted demo models didn't have much function, answering a message and presumably taking a phone call.
I can't imagine how it would go controlling the TV, that interface is dreadful and you can't even type on  Watch.

That's a miss for me.

https://flic.kr/p/rNnWoi

https://flic.kr/p/s7yMnh

If the photos don't show, try clicking on them.

Oldmacs
14th April 2015, 01:57 PM
Edition is amazingly underwhelming. Under the sparkly lights, almost impossible to tell the difference from the Watch.
They're all pretty underwhelming, both in appearance and function.
The mounted demo models didn't have much function, answering a message and presumably taking a phone call.
I can't imagine how it would go controlling the TV, that interface is dreadful and you can't even type on  Watch.

That's a miss for me.

https://flic.kr/p/rNnWoi

https://flic.kr/p/s7yMnh

If the photos don't show, try clicking on them.

IMHO the best looking one is the Sport edition with a blue spots band... portably because it looks like a the blue smart cover on an iPad 2 (A look which I love :P

woofy
14th April 2015, 02:39 PM
Got a Pebble time steel on order. I got the original Pebble early last year when they dropped in price as a test for everyday use. I did still wear a normal steel watch before that. I found I was in meetings with my phone buzzing that I wanted to quiet, or my wife rang and I didn't know so mainly wanted it for call notification and easy sms reading. Found it very useful for telling me my upcoming meetings and more recently for sports activities with Jawbone and misfit putting out free apps for it. It buzzes to get me off my backside during the working day if I sit still for too long and has really shown me how little activity I do when office bound without having to fork out for an activity band. My only concern was I wanted something better looking and metal as the face scratches easy so was happy to see the Pebble time steel come out.

mmulhern
16th April 2015, 07:44 AM
Even getting the "cheapest" $500 version requires a new phone. That'd be $1300+ on top of the watch.

No Sale.

supafly
24th April 2015, 05:05 PM
Having had the original Kickstarter Pebble, Pebble steel and now backing the Pebble Time; I will be sticking with it. The Apple Watch just isn't exciting me at this stage. Perhaps v2, but for now all I really need from a smartwatch is the ability to view notifications and the other basic features that the Pebble offers and does well.