PDA

View Full Version : Hiding startup programs from the desktop/and dock

manc01
9th April 2015, 07:49 PM
Hi there, I cant seem to find an answer to a problem that I have had for ages but thought that it should be a simple fix. I have a couple of items that open & stay on the screen whenever I boot my mac. I have to click one of them away (an Edimax USB AC adaptor) & the other is an app called "Auto Typer" that always opens then sits on the desktop till I minimise it. Surely there is a way of having it boot without having to do this each time but I cant seem to find out how.

I would also like to have the "Auto Typer" app hidden from the dock along with another app called "Format Match" which I use in conjunction with Evernote. I feel like an idiot because surely this can be done easily but I cannot seem to find out how. Can anyone advise me on how to fix these small issues?

Byrd
9th April 2015, 10:22 PM
Hi manc01,

Try going to System Preferences -> Users and Groups -> select user, then Login Items tab - you can add startup programs there (or hide them from view even though they run at startup)

manc01
10th April 2015, 03:27 PM
Hi manc01,

Try going to System Preferences -> Users and Groups -> select user, then Login Items tab - you can add startup programs there (or hide them from view even though they run at startup)

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice, I had already done that & it still does not work. It is strange because you would think that it would. Any other suggestions?

beckcollect
10th April 2015, 05:17 PM
Hi There,

Can't you just right click on a dock item and then select the properties you want?

Perhaps you've tried this already.

BC

manc01
12th April 2015, 05:15 PM
Still not having any luck, I am really confused. Maybe another application can solve this?

soulman
12th April 2015, 08:14 PM
Just so we're clear, the apps in question show up in your login items list in the Users & Groups PrefPane in System Preferences and, even if you click the "Hide" checkbox, they still appear on your screen after you start your Mac. Is that correct?

If so, I have had this trouble with a few apps myself and can only conclude it's because they are not well written and don't follow the rules. Some cross platform apps like Firefox and Vuze are guilty of non-standard behaviour like this and some of them, like Vuze, don't obey hide commands from the OS. It may simply be that you have disobedient apps. If only it were possible to punish themů

I would first of all ask myself if I really need these things and secondly, I would think about getting them out of that login items list and launching them as required perhaps.

As for keeping app icons out of the Dock, I don't think there is a simple way to do this as an end user. I would be contacting the developers of the apps that don't hide and whose icons you don't want in the Dock and asking for the behaviour you want.

Sorry I can't be of more help. It may be that there are other solutions though, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

manc01
12th April 2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, one app I know is poorly written. The other I have contacted their support team.