PDA

View Full Version : Spiking prices of current MBP

OldSapper
10th March 2015, 08:20 PM
It appears Apple has changed the price of other laptops with the introduction of the new machines. For example yesterday a MBP 2.5GHz, 512Gb cost $2999 on the Apple Store and today it is $3499. I wanted one for my Birthday next month, now I am not so sure. I can only attribute the price increase to the falling Australian Dollar. Not Happy Jan :(

Oldmacs
10th March 2015, 08:56 PM
It appears Apple has changed the price of other laptops with the introduction of the new machines. For example yesterday a MBP 2.5GHz, 512Gb cost $2999 on the Apple Store and today it is $3499. I wanted one for my Birthday next month, now I am not so sure. I can only attribute the price increase to the falling Australian Dollar. Not Happy Jan :(

They put the prices on all of their laptops up by $200 - even the nearly 3 year old non retina Macbook.

I don't think Apple has the right to do this, until it pays income tax here.

cosmichobo
10th March 2015, 10:26 PM
It's worldwide, according to MacRumors - Canada has had similar increases, for example, but all across the world due to the US$ increasing in value, "Apple" has increased the prices of their products in all foreign markets.

I was curious reading that, as it suggested that Apple Inc made the decision, whereas I'd always thought it was a decision made by Apple Australasia (or whatever "our" branch is called these days). Thinking about it, it's probably just been the perception of the "Apple Australia Tax" being something that "Apple Australia" was setting, not the US parent company.

I'm glad I don't (barely ever) buy new Apple products... Hell knows I can't afford them at the best of times, let alone now the Aussie dollar has gone below US$0.80 again...

Oldmacs
11th March 2015, 12:28 AM
The iPods are all now more expensive.. i believe I paid $55 for an iPod Shuffle in Novemrer last year - they're not $75. No thats no a joke - $75 for a shuffle.

The Nano has gone up to $219 and the Touch is $279...

TJA77
11th March 2015, 08:14 AM
Look at the prices of the iPhones now! My 64gb 6+ has gone up $170 to what I paid.

kyte
11th March 2015, 09:54 AM
I decided I don't want a new MBP after all. I'm looking at a 2010 model Macbook (white) and its $500. I think it might be good enough. I can't sustain those prices at all. Hopefully the dollar will surge again next year... but I still remember getting caught in the USA with a dive to 66c. So don't be surprised if it goes under 70c sometime this year.

[edit] guess I wasn't the only one looking. COTD had a few but none now. Oh well, win some lose some. No biggie.

woofy
11th March 2015, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't plan on the dollar going up, every govt body is trying to force it down so we are more competitive with labour costs again. I know my company has got tighter with money over the years our dollar went up as we are US based. Nevermind the fact that the income also grew when our dollar went up. There is a pretty serious problem in Australia where we are highly skilled but completely stupid in the long run. Selling off local companies to overseas conglomerates is our favourite pastime and it doesn't lead to a good economy in the long run. I've seen so many that have had a lot of govt money poured into them, end up being sold off once they do well for a quick buck.

We are just back in the days where Macs are a premium expensive item again...

ThankDog
11th March 2015, 07:50 PM
There are actually predictions that the dollar will probably fall as low as $0.45. $10,000 Mac Minis anyone?

Oldmacs
11th March 2015, 09:07 PM
There are actually predictions that the dollar will probably fall as low as $0.45. $10,000 Mac Minis anyone?

Oh god... I hope not. I intend on replacing my iPad late next year....

kyte
11th March 2015, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't wait til then. Dealers other than Apple have kept the prices in line with whatever they bought at wholesale... sooner or later they will jump on the price rise bandwagon. Do it now, if you can.

Oldmacs
11th March 2015, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't wait til then. Dealers other than Apple have kept the prices in line with whatever they bought at wholesale... sooner or later they will jump on the price rise bandwagon. Do it now, if you can.

I would but my iPad 2 is still good, and I really want to get 4 years out of it. Besides... I don't have the money :P I bought an iPad Mini 2 today actually as I'm looking to expand my tech teaching 'business' - so I'll have a blank iPad to teach from, as at the moment its difficult as my iPad 2 is set up the way I like it.

I don't think the iPad prices are going to go put terribly, as they already did when the Air 2 came out IIRC -The air 2 starts at $619, where as I recall previous iPads starting at $500 ish.

ThankDog
12th March 2015, 07:19 AM
Damn, even the refurb prices have jumped. That's just nasty.

kyte
12th March 2015, 07:40 AM
Especially since the stock would have originally been sold at the lower prices, and the day before price jump it was the same stock. I usually make excuses for Apple's pricing strategies, but not for that. There *is* no excuse.

kyte
12th March 2015, 07:45 AM
I don't think the iPad prices are going to go put terribly, as they already did when the Air 2 came out IIRC -The air 2 starts at $619, where as I recall previous iPads starting at $500 ish.

I just checked what I paid for my Air2 and the prices havent jumped at all. But, they have not released new models, which is when prices go up or down (and yes, they have gone down in the past when the exchange rate improves... but ONLY when new models are released). When they do, the prices will skyrocket. I expect the dollar to get worse, not better, over the next few months. Today its down to 75c.

OldSapper
13th March 2015, 09:44 PM
I managed to pick one up today from JB Hi-Fi for $2698 as they are having a 10% discount sale till Sunday.

The new retail price is $3499, following the "Spring Forward Event" but JB were offering the discount off the pre-event price of $2999.

Pretty Happy Jan. :) But, still have to wait till next month's Birthday to enjoy.

cosmichobo
13th March 2015, 10:02 PM
I spoke briefly with a guy from JB about the price hikes... He basically indicated he wasn't thrilled as it was going to make it a lot harder to sell Apple gear now...

Oldmacs
13th March 2015, 10:29 PM
I spoke briefly with a guy from JB about the price hikes... He basically indicated he wasn't thrilled as it was going to make it a lot harder to sell Apple gear now...

I wonder if Apple will sell less, and actually come out worse.

Come on... $1549 for the 2012 Macbook and $1799 for the base Retina Macbook Pro??? Really???

This is where Apple is entering the realm of the mid 90s again. It thinks it can do nothing wrong. Its becoming really really focused on cutting costs and corners, rather than building a great product. They are truly taking consumers as idiots.

As their prices go up here, Apple's moving out of the reach of its target market - the everyday consumer, and back into the realm of the prosumer (in terms of pricing). Yet with software and hardware, they're ditching prosumers as fast as they possibly can.
I fear for Apple. It is heading back to mid to the 90s, with a focus on margins and not the product or experience. Apple is taking things for granted. I think they need a product to fail or something to shock them back to life. I think Apple has been lucky with the iPhone 6 which is selling exceptionally well - it masks other deeper problems. IMHO.

I think its things like the lack of Apple TV updates. The iPod Touch, the iPad Mini 1 still being for sale, the iPad mini 3, the butchered Mac Mini 2014, 5400RPM Hard-drives being standard on the majority of their desktops, iOS 8, the lack of focus on iPads in iOS... and so on.

Apple also needs to simplify or reposition some of its lines. There should only be two iPad Minis and two iPads full sized. The Macbook line should be restructured:

- Macbook (Current Macbook Air)
- Macbook Classic (Current Non Retina Air)
- Macbook Air (Current Macbook)
- Macbook Pro (Current Macbook Pro Retina)

Anyways end of rant.

Thingme
14th March 2015, 08:14 AM
I remember an early Mac Pro of mine costing me in the vicinity of 16 grand. The Oz dollar wasn't doing all that well then either. This is not just a price spike, this is permanent. The RBA and the government are hell bent on making our exports more competitive by crushing the Aus dollar.

Once again it's down to the rusted on Apple Fanatics who'll continue to buy Apple. Me? I'm planning a future new gaming PC for the time my Macs commence dying. For now of course I've a roster of good working Apple Products that'll last me a long time yet. I'm thankful I upgraded all my Apple Hardware recently, prior to the dollar dive. I see the A$ falling to the US60 range before levelling off.

What will make Apple Life easier of course is another mining boom but the world is over fossil fuels and there is an iron ore glut with many competing countries forcing down ore prices. It'll be a very long time before U$-A$ parity is seen again. Remembering of course that the prime reason for the government forcing down our dollar is to continue selling coal and gas overseas irrespective of the dangers of global warming. The government wants to prop up your foreign owned BHPs and Rio Tintos and bugger the consequences. We see all this happening while the government kills off science and education and destroys our standard of living. This government and a probable Labor replacement royally suck.

kyte
14th March 2015, 08:19 AM
I wonder if Apple will sell less, and actually come out worse.

Come on... $1549 for the 2012 Macbook and $1799 for the base Retina Macbook Pro??? Really???

Yes, really. On today's exchange rate, their $1099 Macbook is $1439 here. Remember, no tax added there, and I havent accounted for our GST. But right now the exchange is getting close to 77c. On Tuesday it was around 75c.

Anyways end of rant.

Its not clear to me anymore, what the target market is.
Don't forget though, the impact of the diving dollar. That is not down to Apple. And, If it were to go over $1 again before the next release of product, you'd find that Apple prices will fall. They always do.

IN the year I first wanted to buy Apple, a base eMac cost $2499. That was with a CD drive, and a 60GB HD and 256MB RAM. I couldnt justify it. 2 years later, I bought one for $1899. It had a superdrive, 256MB and 80GB. That was in 2003. Later that same year I spent $1599 to buy a 12" iBook, with 256MB and 40GB (I think... it may have been less, it was not more). Its all relative, too. Back then, my available cash flow after paying the mortgage was something less than I am getting on the pension 12 years later.

In 2007, it was $2499 for the 20" Alu iMac, with the base specs. The 21" iMac with a better screen, faster CPU, etc etc these days, doesnt even go close to that. So, relatively speaking, the cost of ownership vs wages these days... its much much cheaper to buy Apple than it was 8 years ago. I think you'd find a similar story across all their lines. I havent done macbook/pro comparisons across time, but I rather think the story might be similar. If you only compare one year to the next, you're always going to be either highly disappointed, or hugely elated. Apple isnt the bad guy. I think they just make silly decisions at times. Like your suggestion that their product lines are becoming too extensive.

kyte
14th March 2015, 08:53 AM
I remember an early Mac Pro of mine costing me in the vicinity of 16 grand. The Oz dollar wasn't doing all that well then either. This is not just a price spike, this is permanent. The RBA and the government are hell bent on making our exports more competitive by crushing the Aus dollar.

Thats sounding really paranoid. Of course its not permanent. Its not OUR government thats responsible for the diving dollar. Its the rising of the US dollar against *all* other currencies. You'll notice that there isn't much movement against the others, for us.

Apple has a long history of raising or lowering prices along with the exchange rate. Well, actually, its not *Apple* per se, that does it. Have prices gone up in the USA? Or down? Or are they stable? Thats where you need to look for the real story. And don't get caught up in "theirs is cheaper than ours" because the prices you see on the US site do not include tax. Thats paid at checkout according to where you live. Ours includes GST.

[edit] Never mind. I have just checked the Wayback machine and got prices from early Feb in the US, and for today.
Early Feb (scroll right down, the formatting is gone): https://web.archive.org/web/20150201101133/http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro
and today: MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro with Retina display - Apple Store (U.S.) (http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro)

So theres the evidence. Apple has not increased prices. People are justifiably annoyed, but its the vagaries of the financial system that we exist in, that cause these problems (oh. except for the refurbs. But if they raised prices later when it *should* apply, people would complain about that, too).

cosmichobo
14th March 2015, 02:04 PM
I guess for anyone who's been on the Apple/Mac scene for more than the past 6 years, you'll have your own stories of frustration over pricing... Of course, less than that and you've been riding parity and enjoying the lowest prices in history...

It would be interesting to see in 12 months whether "foreign" (ie non US) sales have dropped considerably or not... but that's not information that Apple will likely ever reveal.

My vague memories of Economics though would certainly suggest that volume of sales will drop, because the prices have gone up... In theory, profit shouldn't be affected, because whilst the prices have been raised, it is "only" to accommodate the exchange rates...

Do I believe that? No reason not to... The exchange rate has dropped $0.27 in 24 months... At this rate, indeed we'll hit AUD$0.50/USD$1 in early 2017... Do I like it? Hell no... Only benefit will be to the 2nd hand market resale value...

What I haven't looked at (and don't currently plan to cos I've got a 2 year old sitting on my lap watching Willy Wonka) is the old so-called "Apple Australia Tax"... which I believe in recent years has all but disappeared. If the new prices aren't easily related to the US prices, THEN we have something to complain about...

Swathe
14th March 2015, 02:25 PM
Either way, I hopefully can get a non-ancient mac mini or something that runs yosemite soon before the second hand market goes full retard :(

cosmichobo
14th March 2015, 02:59 PM
*sigh* Oh god... yes, implications of my above post hadn't hit... I was hoping to get an optical-drive Mac Mini to replace my current G5 Mini HTPC... But prices aren't going to come down any lower for a while now...

Oldmacs
14th March 2015, 03:17 PM
I'm actually getting really nervous....

My Macbook pro should have another 4 years in it at least.... Lets hope anyway.

Its the iPad I'm most nervous about.... I'm planning on keeping my iPad 2 till mid next year (if it can't run iOS 9) or mid the year after (if it does run iOS 9).

I'm aware of the past when Macs were far more expensive. I remember my White Macbook (which I bought off a family member second hand) cost $1800 in early 2008- and it was Apple's lowest end laptop at that stage.

Apple should remember though, those days were days when far fewer people had Macs. Attractive PC laptops are getting cheaper and cheaper, and will still be cheaper than Macs even if the prices go up.

Heck i bought a $97 tablet that runs full Windows 8.1 and does quite well as a desktop plugged into a monitor - Its pretty impressive.

From my observatiosn at uni, round 75 percent of uni students (with laptops) seem to have a Macbook/Pro/Air - MB Airs are the go to uni machine, but if prices rise, I don't think they'll keep being so.

Regardless of any differences in product price, We are getting the Apple Tax here, just its been shifted. Apple does not pay its company tax. It apparently paid $193 million Tax on a revenue of $27 Billion. So we are getting ripped of by them, and its affecting government revenue which is what gets spent on our health and education and many other things...

kyte
14th March 2015, 06:00 PM
deleted because I realise theres no point ...

Swathe
14th March 2015, 06:22 PM
I'm actually getting really nervous....

My Macbook pro should have another 4 years in it at least.... Lets hope anyway.

Its the iPad I'm most nervous about.... I'm planning on keeping my iPad 2 till mid next year (if it can't run iOS 9) or mid the year after (if it does run iOS 9).

I'm aware of the past when Macs were far more expensive. I remember my White Macbook (which I bought off a family member second hand) cost $1800 in early 2008- and it was Apple's lowest end laptop at that stage.

Apple should remember though, those days were days when far fewer people had Macs. Attractive PC laptops are getting cheaper and cheaper, and will still be cheaper than Macs even if the prices go up.

Heck i bought a $97 tablet that runs full Windows 8.1 and does quite well as a desktop plugged into a monitor - Its pretty impressive.

From my observatiosn at uni, round 75 percent of uni students (with laptops) seem to have a Macbook/Pro/Air - MB Airs are the go to uni machine, but if prices rise, I don't think they'll keep being so.

Regardless of any differences in product price, We are getting the Apple Tax here, just its been shifted. Apple does not pay its company tax. It apparently paid $193 million Tax on a revenue of $27 Billion. So we are getting ripped of by them, and its affecting government revenue which is what gets spent on our health and education and many other things...

I'm also debating what to do about an iPad. I've thought about getting a Gen 1 mini or a seconds hand iPad 2 and seeing what happens but wonder if I will screw myself over. Leaning towards the mini atm. I don't game on iOS so I don't need stupid crazy specs.

Oldmacs
14th March 2015, 09:42 PM
I'm also debating what to do about an iPad. I've thought about getting a Gen 1 mini or a seconds hand iPad 2 and seeing what happens but wonder if I will screw myself over. Leaning towards the mini atm. I don't game on iOS so I don't need stupid crazy specs.

I bought a Mini 2 last week as a teaching tool - gonna widen my iPad teaching activities. I got a bit of a discount on it and I'm quite happy, but the iPad 2 will remain my main ipad.

maghemi
16th March 2015, 08:54 PM
I had an inquiry for a quote through their business side the week before the update. I didn't get the usual quick response which makes sense now. Because on the day after the event I got the updated prices through. Not only were they higher, but the discount structure was less than previous.

I've put all ordering on hold for now, we're going to retain existing equipment for longer and re-asses.

As shocking as it sounds, this is the first time in a while that I'm going to do a cost check on moving some aspects of computing back to a windows environment.