PDA

View Full Version : 12-Inch Retina MacBook

SRG
10th March 2015, 01:02 PM
After a lot of rumours we got our first look at the new 12-inch Retina MacBook at the Spring Forward event early this morning.

It weighs just two pounds and is 13.1 mm thin. The new MacBook features a stunning 12-inch Retina® display that is the thinnest ever on a Mac, an Apple-designed full-size keyboard which is dramatically thinner and highly responsive, the all-new Force Touch trackpad that brings a new dimension of interactivity to the Mac, an incredibly compact USB-C port for data transfer, video out and charging in a single connector, and a new battery design that maximizes every millimeter of space to deliver all-day battery life. And, for the first time, MacBook is available in three gorgeous aluminum finishes—gold, silver and space gray.

MacBook comes with a 1.1 GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.4 GHz, 8GB of memory, 256GB of flash storage and Intel HD Graphics 5300 starting at $1,299 (US); and with a 1.2 GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.6GHz, 8GB of memory, 512GB of flash storage and Intel HD Graphics 5300 starting at $1799.

So what do we think, from the video it sure looks like a sexy beast. Though you have to wonder is the quest for thin going to far and is the machine powerful enough at that starting price?

Oldmacs
10th March 2015, 02:00 PM
Wellllllll

I do appreciate that it is an amazing feat of engineering.

I don't think I'm objected to it as a sole machine, rather what ideas Apple will apply to the rest of the line from it - EG No MagSafe, no ports etc.

The Macbook could serve well for someone who needs a machine on the road, but not a main machine - someone who the iPad form factor appeals to, but wants OSX.

Geoff3DMN
10th March 2015, 02:14 PM
I've bought several MacBook Pros (for use around home and at work) and several Macbook Airs (for use around home and when travelling) but I won't be buying this new 12 inch MacBook Air because when it's on charge it's got zero ports and zero ports is one too few!

MadKiwi
10th March 2015, 02:16 PM
I've bought several MacBook Pros (for use around home and at work) and several Macbook Airs (for use around home and when travelling) but I won't be buying this new 12 inch MacBook Air because when it's on charge it's got zero ports and zero ports is one too few!

I'd be pretty confident that through the use of a USB Type C hub of some sort you'd be able to charge and use other devices at the same time.

ajbeardy
10th March 2015, 02:21 PM

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MJ1K2ZA/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=51)

Only $119.00

Oldmacs
10th March 2015, 02:23 PM
I'd be pretty confident that through the use of a USB Type C hub of some sort you'd be able to charge and use other devices at the same time.

Thats not the point though... you buy a laptop because its all in one. Not to take stupid adaptors around with you.

Obviously the machine is not made for people like me... :P

Geoff3DMN
10th March 2015, 02:37 PM
USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MJ1K2ZA/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=51)

Only $119.00

I don't see how that allows me to charge the new MacBook air while using a device at the same time?

Dog Knight
10th March 2015, 02:43 PM
I don't see how that allows me to charge the new MacBook air while using a device at the same time?

Because this macbook will charge via USB type C. Adding the adapter will give you a port for charging and for video (HDMI) and another device (USB 3).

ajbeardy
10th March 2015, 02:44 PM

The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your MacBook with USB-C port to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.

Oldmacs
10th March 2015, 02:54 PM
Is no one else bothered by the lack of MagSafe? Its saved my Macbook more time than I can count. Given how light this new Macbook is I can see a lot of accidents

Geoff3DMN
10th March 2015, 02:56 PM
The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your MacBook with USB-C port to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.

Ahhh so I can connect my 4G dongle to the USB3 port and the USB-C charge cable to the USB-C port is what you're saying?

SRG
10th March 2015, 03:05 PM
See Geoff, and then your MacBook is so thin you won't be able to see it behind all those extra cables and the adapter:tongue:

ajbeardy
10th March 2015, 03:08 PM
Is no one else bothered by the lack of MagSafe? Its saved my Macbook more time than I can count. Given how light this new Macbook is I can see a lot of accidents

Nope, you are looking at something with 9-10 hours of battery life. It is not as though it is going to be plugged into power all day.

The_Hawk
10th March 2015, 03:12 PM
Ahhh so I can connect my 4G dongle to the USB3 port and the USB-C charge cable to the USB-C port is what you're saying?

Yep, that's exactly what the adapter does.

All be need now is a third party to release an all in one power adapter with built in USB hub (HDMI/DVI being a bonus).

Geoff3DMN
10th March 2015, 03:16 PM
Nope, you are looking at something with 9-10 hours of battery life. It is not as though it is going to be plugged into power all day.

Actually that's pretty much how I use my MacBook Air now, plugged in 24/7.

The only times they're unplugged are when I go out (or away from the hotel room if I'm away for work).

Oldmacs
10th March 2015, 03:27 PM

Its still got to charge at some stage. And Sometimes you don't want to run the battery down quick doing intensive tasks - or you want to preserve battery life... My Macbook gets around 7 hours of battery life, and I have mine plugged in fairly regularly. I ruined an iBook charger (and dented the laptop itself) tripping over the charger cable not too long ago.

Lack of Magsafe is just such a backwards idea.

Thingme
10th March 2015, 03:30 PM
I see the 12" Retina MacBook cannibalising the MacBook Air range. Which of the Air models will persist? I also see it cannibalising sales of the proposed 12" iPad which has been sent to the delayed-and-perhaps-never-to-appear box.

— Peter

sophiec
10th March 2015, 04:38 PM
Hmmm.... don't like the loss of magsafe. 2 USB ports are necessary as I use external drives for lots of stuff, including my phone and ipad backups. I wonder what my workplace will think of this - we roll out 400 new macbooks every year. Currently we're using the 13 inch macbook air.
Sophie

Geoff3DMN
10th March 2015, 04:55 PM
External drives have never really been an issue for me because I either dump stuff to the NAS at work or the NAS at home or to Dropbox.

Warthog
11th March 2015, 11:43 AM
I guess it sounds like Apple don't really care.
It's all about lightness and thin.

Oldmacs
11th March 2015, 01:15 PM
I guess it sounds like Apple don't really care.
It's all about lightness and thin.

I agree. I wouldn't give a damn if Apple just gives the no ports treatment to this Macbook. I will however give a damn if they apply it to the Retina Pro and discontinue the non Retina Pro.

Apple WAKE UP. Keep Macs as serviceable machines.

Can't wait for the 2015 iMac. Phill Schiller "Its now 3mm thin, down from 5mm, because you don't need ports anymore". "We're selling the $300 adaptor so you can have the power cord and a USB slot at the same time. This is a revolution in desktop computing, it is our best computer yet and we think you're going to love it".

Johnny Ive "The new iMac is remarkable. We considered every aspect of the design of the new iMac, and removed everything useful from it. The coherency of the design, the thinness and the chamfered edge seek to distract your attention from the fact that the iMac is no longer a useful computer. This is my most challenging work yet and something only Apple could do".

tim
11th March 2015, 01:45 PM
I am starting to think that may an iPad Air2 with keyboard case is a better idea if you need portability that much.

Macbook Air if you need connectivity with ports.

kyte
11th March 2015, 09:44 PM
I find that for most things portable, my air2 and logitech keyboard Type+ case do the job (not that I'm portable that frequently). But in the house, I want another computer. There are times I don't want to sit in my study, but I no longer have a laptop. I wish I had both a laptop and the Mini. This new 12" was something I was looking forward to. I've lost interest. Its not for me. I'll be looking at an old/second hand/refurb Macbook/Pro.

soulman
11th March 2015, 11:02 PM
…the all-new Force Touch trackpad that brings a new dimension of interactivity to the Mac…I for one look forward to finding someone named Luke and letting him hold my new MB, so I can say "Use The Force, Luke!"

Apart from that, I can imagine that something so light and skinny, with a beautiful hi res screen, will be stunning to behold. The fact that it will feel fast enough due to the fast disk will make it surprisingly good to use. I reckon they will sell shitloads of them. The Air was criticised when it came out for not having enough ports. And it was underpowered, but SSDs have really changed that. This will not feel anywhere near as much of a compromise as the first Air did.

entropy
12th March 2015, 07:23 PM
The 13 inch mba got PCI-E SSD inside. Write speeds over 600 mbps, reads over 1200.
I think I prefer that for the extra ports. Although I suspect the screen on the MacBook could sway me.

Erwin
27th March 2015, 11:03 PM
When will it be available on the online store, does anyone know?

Klytia
6th April 2015, 07:46 PM
When I do the math on this, at today's exchange rate, well.....you have a go and see if I am correct? We are being ripped off again, it's not much, but I might look at the new watch too.....just for interest sake. Maybe my "reality distortion field" is playing up again :)

AU

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/blue302_1970/Apple%20AU%20copy.jpg

US

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/blue302_1970/Apple%20US.jpg

MadKiwi
6th April 2015, 07:59 PM
Another case of form over function for Apple.

I feel that many people who have used Apple machines for a long time simply won't upgrade and they will stick with what they have as it works for them. This will lead to more of the newer Apple machines being sold to "hipsters" who have a high disposable income and want to have the latest and greatest gadgets to show off to their friends.

And lets not even get me started on the Apple Watch, this is a device that I simply do not see any need for. Having seen a few people with Android and Pebble watches they do not add a lot more than having your phone in your pocket does, and the cost of the thing is just outrageous.

soulman
6th April 2015, 09:11 PM
When I do the math on this, at today's exchange rate, well.....you have a go and see if I am correct? We are being ripped off again, it's not much, but I might look at the new watch too.....just for interest sake. Maybe my "reality distortion field" is playing up again :)

Depends a bit on the conversion rate you use, but with current rates from Yahoo (as used in Calculator):

MB 256 is $1635 here plus GST.
The US price is $1299 which is also plus taxes and this converts to AU$1702.

MB512 is $1999 here plus GST.
US price converts to AU$2096.

Seeing as it would cost you more to buy one from the States (remember that you would have to pay GST on it) I'm not sure how we're being ripped off. Seems like we're doing pretty well to me.

Oldmacs
6th April 2015, 09:29 PM
I used the new MBP with touch force trackpad and I hated it!! I kept accidentally clicking it my navigation finger even when it was set to firm.. It also doesn't have a nice click like the old trackpad has..

I also expected touch force to be intuitive/useful/ smooth, but it truly is not its clunky and its not like the keynote gave the impression of it to be.

Just makes me dread the eventual replacement of my 2012 Classic Macbook Pro. Here's hoping they give it broadwell this year.

ibarnett
7th April 2015, 11:40 AM

AU

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/blue302_1970/Apple%20AU%20copy.jpg

US

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/blue302_1970/Apple%20US.jpg

Maybe Aussie tax is OK, I'm off to Italy.
Looked up the price, 1499 & 1829 Euros.
That;s $2156 & $2651.
Makes our price cheap!!

soulman
7th April 2015, 10:23 PM
Yeah, we're doing well on pricing at the moment.

pinchies
10th April 2015, 08:29 AM
Sadly the new MB is not on display yet at least at Doncaster. Anyone know of their eta?

midnight_e
10th April 2015, 10:15 AM
Was told at Penrith NSW a week ago that they expected April 10th that they would be in the store. So today

hansent
10th April 2015, 02:24 PM
I dropped into Broadway today to take a look and once I waded through all the people looking at watches I was told that the Macbook is only released in the US today and there is currently no timing for an aussie release.

kerr
11th April 2015, 12:59 AM
Should have had 2 ports.

I'd love a 13" Space Grey rMBP.

tomwazere
11th April 2015, 12:33 PM
Ordered a specced out Space Grey Macbook last night. Disappointed to get shipping estimate of 3-4 weeks :( All models the same. Looks like it was only US April 10 release.

Erwin
4th May 2015, 10:11 PM
FWIW, I ordered my wife the Gold MacBook last night. Shipping is 3-4 weeks too...

Oldmacs
4th May 2015, 11:37 PM
Let us know how the keyboard goes... I hated it when I tried it but perhaps its something you get used to?

recd
4th June 2015, 04:00 PM
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

If the 12" macbook had one of these ports, I think you could get away with only one port:naughty:

Oldmacs
4th June 2015, 04:37 PM
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

If the 12" macbook had one of these ports, I think you could get away with only one port:naughty:

I dont't think so. There should have been at least two USB C and a magsafe...

But as I say, as long as they don't remove all the ports from the MBP I'm happy.

Erwin
4th June 2015, 06:26 PM
Let us know how the keyboard goes... I hated it when I tried it but perhaps its something you get used to?

We got it 2 days ago. It's my wife's main laptop. She seems to like it. She's upgraded from a 13 inch MBA.

Oldmacs
4th June 2015, 06:55 PM
We got it 2 days ago. It's my wife's main laptop. She seems to like it. She's upgraded from a 13 inch MBA.

Well whatever floats your (actually your wife's :P ) boat :)

I find it like typing on an iPad which is a compromise of having an iPad, but for me the point of a Mac is partially for it to have great keyboard.

Maybe I just need more time with it :)

Erwin
4th June 2015, 07:36 PM
I actually find the keys a bit sticky myself.

Oldmacs
4th June 2015, 10:32 PM
I actually find the keys a bit sticky myself.

I find they don't travel enough. Thus i hope they never see the light of day on the Pro.

AnthoMac
5th June 2015, 11:29 PM
I also upgraded my mum's 2011 13' MBA to this. It was struggling at 128GB SSD and I thought, 'why not - 512GB for a huge peace of mind'. No more moving stuff from her bulky 1TB HDD with all that space available.
Hope she gets used to the slightly smaller screen (even though the resolution is the same as the 13') and the keyboard. I personally like the keyboard.

SRG
6th June 2015, 12:16 AM
On a slightly different note, can't believe these are still 3 - 5 weeks delivery time. We know with the Watch there in the end was an issue that caused the shortage, but with the new MacBook it is it seems there must be a huge issue in the supply chain to still have them on that big a delay.