PDA

View Full Version : why isn't my world book encyclopaedia working??

_xfire
10th September 2004, 10:37 PM
this has been happening for a few weeks now.
every time i try to open the world book atlas or the world book encyclopaedia app, the icon just bounces for a while and then the "This program has unexpectedly quit" dialogue comes up.
i'm running panther on a G4 ibook, i haven't had problems like this with any of my other apps before. help?

Husq
11th September 2004, 08:13 AM
Have you tried fixing permissions? Also the link below describes problems launching except you get an error message.

http://www.mackiev.com/worldbook2/support.html#launching

luke_in_tas
11th September 2004, 07:41 PM
Changes in Panther stop World Book from launching. If you are running Panther you need to install the update from the publisher's web site. See the following Apple support article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25638.

_xfire
11th September 2004, 08:55 PM
i have tried both of these, there is nothing wrong with the permissions. the path to world book doesn't contain any dodgy characters or anything like that and i've downloaded (all of) the updates and when i launch them it says 'you need to have world book installed on the computer' which i quite clearly have, and so i just uninstalled it and i will restore it tomorrow and see what happens. thanks for the help though! :lol:

kim jong il
12th September 2004, 03:00 AM
Just a thought. You have not perchance moved it from, lets say, the root directory to a user directory? I have found a limited number of applications will only work when installed in the root directory. Nowhere else. (They can be moved. They just don't work afterwards. Alternatively, they can be installed elsewhere but will not launch)

The original offender was a microsoft product so the fix was easy. I deleted it. However this appears not to be an option for you. I feel this is worth mentioning as it had me badly confused for a few days (although nothing you have said indicates that this is your problem).