PDA

View Full Version : Missing text on web pages

Owley
9th March 2015, 06:21 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, or if this us an OX issue, but here I go.

On some web pager there is missing text. Appears to be where someone is quoted see web site (Report: Could the NHL be on the verge of a big change? (http://www.hockeyfeed.com/report-could-the-nhl-be-on-the-verge-of-a-big-change/)) On my computer everything in quotation marks is blank. This is the same no matter which browser I use Chrome, Safari or Firefox.

Any thoughts?

Ian

Alan53
9th March 2015, 08:01 AM
Looks like another case of Font Conflicts, probably caused by duplicated fonts.
Usually caused by the installation of an Application with its own set of fonts which don't play nice with Apple's set of fonts.
M$ Office being the usual culprit.
To confirm..Select and copy the blank space with the missing text into your favourite text/word editor, and then change its font (from Arial Italic) to something different and the text should magically appear.
If that is the case, have a read of: http://www.mactalk.com.au/18/94910-fixing-font-funnies.html
on how to fix it (Article originally written for OS X 10.6, but still applies for 10.10)

Owley
11th March 2015, 09:17 PM
I red through the article but I can not find the folder they refer to there "User/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts" In the Library folder there are these folders with "Font" in their name, No folder "Fonts and"

"Font Collections"
"Fonts"
"Fonts Disabled"

Alan53
13th March 2015, 09:45 AM
I red through the article but I can not find the folder they refer to there "User/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts" In the Library folder there are these folders with "Font" in their name, No folder "Fonts and"

"Font Collections"
"Fonts"
"Fonts Disabled"

This is where remote diagnosis becomes difficult.
If you cannot find the default OS X font folders and have "Font Collections" & "Fonts Disabled" folders I am starting to suspect you have a 3rd party Font Manager application in use. If so go back to that application's instructions to sort it out.
Sorry, that's about all I can suggest.

soulman
13th March 2015, 05:07 PM
OS X has a built in font manager called Font Book. It's rudimentary, but may help you fix this. It has a command in its Edit menu called Look for Enabled Duplicates… Try that. It's much easier than trying to find duplicates manually.

In the meantime…

I red through the article but I can not find the folder they refer to there "User/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts" In the Library folder there are these folders with "Font" in their name, No folder "Fonts and"The folder you're looking for is Fonts, the 'and' was not part of the folder name; it was telling you there are two places to look.

Also, just in case you don't know, where it says User in that pathname, they're referring to your short username. As an example, if your short username is johnsmith and your hard disk is named Macintosh HD then the full path in question would be Macintosh*HD/Users/johnsmith/Library/Fonts/

The shorthand way these two locations are described on UNIX based systems are below. For items at the root level of the hard disk:
/Library/Fonts/

For items in the current user's folder:
~/Library/Fonts/

The tilde character is shorthand for HD/Users/shortusernamehere/

If you cannot find the default OS X font folders and have "Font Collections" & "Fonts Disabled" folders I am starting to suspect you have a 3rd party Font Manager application in use.I have these in my user level Library folder and I don't have any 3rd party font managers. Font Book may generate them.