PDA

View Full Version : eek! my iBook has a purple screen!

scruffie
27th January 2006, 07:24 AM
I dropped my iBook on my bed before heading out last night. Turned on computer it has a purple screen. It occasionally flickers back to white and then to purple when i move the screen from the open and closed position.

Any thoughts? :cry:

geektechnu
27th January 2006, 07:44 AM
Looks like you've damaged the ribbon cable that connects the LCD.
If the iBook is like most laptops, the cable is rolled up and threaded through the hinge.

Byrd
27th January 2006, 07:47 AM
Can you fix the screen by gently moving the hinge from side to side (as opposed to up and down?)

JB

Rayd
27th January 2006, 08:11 AM
the connection between the logic board and the LCD is probably loose, if its still under warrenty take it in , if not you can try fixing it yourself :) if your game enuf.

titan44
27th January 2006, 08:12 AM
I did the same thing and had the same effects with my old g3 ibook, hoping it was just cable damage, took it in for a quote to fix, ends up the lcd panel was stuffed. big $$ to fix.
I hope you fair better

scruffie
27th January 2006, 09:34 AM
Ah, thanks all. Its 'kinda' fixed itself. It'll only turn purple if the hinge is extended the whole way... a position i rarely use, so its okay now. Whew.

I'm relieved now since I'm not prepared to send it in for a quote. Slowly i'll work this ibook to the ground and by then, hopefully, they'd have MacBook Amateur out. Heh.