PDA

View Full Version : Install Mountain Lion on flash drive/external disk using computer running Yosemite

grapedane
22nd February 2015, 07:23 AM
As Quicken for Mac 2015 only allows date format mm/dd/yyyy, it cannot be easily used for Australian clients. So I need to create a Snow Leopard installer to run an earlier version of Quicken for Mac using Rosetta.

However when I try to load original Snow Leopard retail installer DVD it shows the" Install Mac OS App" greyed out,while if I try to use the" Optional Installs" it requires that optional installs be limited to the hard disk.

Byrd
22nd February 2015, 09:34 AM
What model Mac, grapedane? I suspect your model is too new to run OS X 10.6. You could try VMWare or Parallels to try to install it.

In addition - Rosetta is to run legacy PowerPC applications, and you need an additional installer from Apple to enable it on a 10.6 install,

kyte
22nd February 2015, 03:28 PM
I wanted to do this, also (run SL in a virtual machine) and neither parallels nor vmware (nor virtualbox for that matter) would install anything except the server. I think there are ways around it but I was unable to find one, and instead I found a copy of SL server.

Dog Knight
23rd February 2015, 08:47 AM
Rosetta is an optional component in the 10.6 installer. If you do a custom install you can choose to install that component.

If the mac is old enough to recognize 10.6, create a bootable installer (USB or DVD) and boot from that to perform the installation onto your external drive. You won't be able to launch the installer while booted into a newer OS version.

grapedane
23rd February 2015, 10:39 AM
Thanks for your suggestions .

The iMac is a 2011 model which was able to run OSX10.6.8 on an external drive. It appears that the version on that drive is now corrupted, even I have run the repair function, as it will not boot even though it is showing as bootable.

The problem with creating a new bootable installer is that" Install Mac OSX" is greyed out when I load the DVD installer, so I cannot create the bootable installer.