PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading Mac OS on a refurbished mini

MacRowdy
16th February 2015, 03:56 PM
I am thinking of grabbing a refurbished late 2012 Mac mini when/if they appear again.

Presumably Apple would have upgraded them to Yosemite during the refurb process.

Is there any reason why, say, Mavericks would not run on one of them? I'd be getting the Core i5 version with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

General consensus on the interwebs seems to be that 8GB is the minimum you need to get reasonable performance out of a Mac mini running Yosemite, and I don't necessarily want the mini to slow down too quickly as updates are installed. My existing late 2009 Mac mini is still going strong with 4GB RAM and Snow Leopard, and it is only this year that I have really noticed it starting to slow down with simple browsing and email tasks. I'd want a new(ish) mini to last another 5 years if possible, even if that means staying a couple of OS versions behind.

Oldmacs
16th February 2015, 04:03 PM
I am thinking of grabbing a refurbished late 2012 Mac mini when/if they appear again.

Presumably Apple would have upgraded them to Yosemite during the refurb process.

Is there any reason why, say, Mavericks would not run on one of them? I'd be getting the Core i5 version with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

General consensus on the interwebs seems to be that 8GB is the minimum you need to get reasonable performance out of a Mac mini running Yosemite, and I don't necessarily want the mini to slow down too quickly as updates are installed. My existing late 2009 Mac mini is still going strong with 4GB RAM and Snow Leopard, and it is only this year that I have really noticed it starting to slow down with simple browsing and email tasks. I'd want a new(ish) mini to last another 5 years if possible, even if that means staying a couple of OS versions behind.

Yosemite runs far better than Mavericks for me on a 2012 i5 spinning Harddrive Macbook Pro. You should be able to downgrade to Mountain Lion or Mavericks though.

Why don' you try Yosemite and Mavericks by partitioning the disk?

Or an even better idea is, if you're going to keep it for 5 years, get a SSD installed.

soulman
16th February 2015, 06:59 PM
I am thinking of grabbing a refurbished late 2012 Mac mini when/if they appear again.There were 3 different models there this afternoon actually, all gone again now, but there's a different model there now (http://store.apple.com/au/product/G0NP2X/A/refurbished-mac-mini-23ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i7). Be quick!

MacRowdy
16th February 2015, 07:07 PM
The biggest problem is budget. The lower end 2012 mini is under $600. Adding an SSD to that would take it a bit beyond my current budget, as would upping the RAM at the moment.

Hence the desire to keep it as it is for a while.

There were 3 different models there this afternoon actually, all gone again now, but there's a different model there now (http://store.apple.com/au/product/G0NP2X/A/refurbished-mac-mini-23ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i7). Be quick!

That one's gone already! They don't last long on there - everyone seems to want the 2012 model.

soulman
16th February 2015, 07:14 PM
I'd be getting the Core i5 version with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD.Didn't see this at first. There were some i5s there this afternoon for $529, but they're gone. Thing is with refurbs that you can't order them BTO. You get whatever they have and all the refurb 2012 Minis I've seen have had 4GB. Putting extra memory in them is dead easy, but HDs are bit more involved. Thing about the one I linked above is that, because it's Fusion, it already has 2 drives in it. This makes it a bit easier to swap drives in and out because all the required infrastructure is there.

Funnily enough, the Mini I linked above is still there for me if I refresh the page. Outside your budget though. :(

MacRowdy
17th February 2015, 06:50 AM
Didn't see this at first. There were some i5s there this afternoon for $529, but they're gone. Thing is with refurbs that you can't order them BTO. You get whatever they have and all the refurb 2012 Minis I've seen have had 4GB. Putting extra memory in them is dead easy, but HDs are bit more involved. Thing about the one I linked above is that, because it's Fusion, it already has 2 drives in it. This makes it a bit easier to swap drives in and out because all the required infrastructure is there.

Funnily enough, the Mini I linked above is still there for me if I refresh the page. Outside your budget though. :(

Still says "Available to ship: Out of stock" for me :(

I upgraded the RAM in my 2009 Mac mini, which involved using a putty knife to open the case. Next up is a HDD swap - the original 120G is really limiting now and I have a new 1TB drive standing by. Upgrading the whole computer in one go would make things a bit easier though.

The RAM upgrade is one reason I'd seriously consider the 2012 mini, in fact the main reason. I can squeeze by with less HDD space, in fact the 500GB that these usually come with will seem like a luxury mansion compared to the 120GB I've been surviving with the the last 5 years.

kyte
18th February 2015, 03:33 PM
There will be more. I've been thinking about getting another, myself, just to have as an HTPC. Its a bit self indulgent though, its not like theres lots of people living here who need multiple computers