PDA

View Full Version : Which recent version of OS X

soulman
11th February 2015, 09:50 PM
I've just started using a different machine at home, going from a 2008 Mac Pro (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.8-2008-specs.html) to a 2012 i7 Mac Mini (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i7-2.6-late-2012-specs.html). I was running 10.6.8 on the Pro, for no particular reason, but have started afresh on the Mini under 10.8.5 which I installed from its Restore Disk. The App Store gives me the option to download Mavericks as well as Yosemite.

I've been using Mountain Lion at work for a couple of years and find it pretty good. I sometimes use a machine with Yosemite and don't love it, but I don't particularly dislike it either and it seems to work ok on an i5 Mini with a disk based hard drive. I'm sure it would fly on the i7 Mini with the fast SSD and 16GB or memory it has. I have no experience of Mavericks but it seems to get good reviews and I am leaning toward maybe using it while I wait for the new look to grow up a bit.

I do a bit of emailing, browsing, file management and watching movies and shows. I also do some photography and have a sizeable Lightroom catalog, which is the most resource intensive job I do at home.

So, what are people's opinions on how these recent versions compare? What would you install and why?

kyte
11th February 2015, 10:16 PM
I did choose to reinstall Mavericks after being in the Yosemite beta program since the beginning. I've unenrolled from that and have no intention of upgrading again unless I need something that won't work in Mavericks or if I can't find a suitable alternative. For me, on my Mini, its more stable and less glitch-prone.

Mountain Lion was the best I think in terms of stability, but thats a step too far for me.

harryb2448
12th February 2015, 07:45 AM
The problem soulman is Apple has removed Mavericks as a download from the App Store in favour of Yosemite. I have used Yosemite since Public Beta Release 1 and apart from a few little oddities cleared up by Release 4 it has been great. Fast, steady and stable.

Byrd
12th February 2015, 08:55 AM
I don't know why you'd not stick Yosemite on all supported Macs when it's free, doesn't have a performance hit over ML and Apple of course will give it precedence for any security updates/support.

leon
12th February 2015, 09:02 AM
I don't know why you'd not stick Yosemite on all supported Macs when it's free, doesn't have a performance hit over ML and Apple of course will give it precedence for any security updates/support.

Software compatibility.

I had to upgrade VMWare Fusion, MacPyMol. I find yosemite unstable compared to Mavericks.

rpjallan
12th February 2015, 10:24 AM
I'm still using Mountain Lion on my main machine but have found Yosemite to be much preferable to Mavericks on my laptop.

Oldmacs
12th February 2015, 12:23 PM
I'm still using Mountain Lion on my main machine but have found Yosemite to be much preferable to Mavericks on my laptop.

What macbook do you have?

soulman
12th February 2015, 12:38 PM
The problem soulman is Apple has removed Mavericks as a download from the App Store in favour of YosemiteI wasn't expecting it, but it's there under the "Purchases" tab on my machines.

soulman
12th February 2015, 09:06 PM
...found Yosemite to be much preferable to Mavericks on my laptop.For reasons?

Pismo
13th February 2015, 07:35 AM
I run Yosemite on my MacBook mid 2010 and Mavericks on my iMac 2010 have not had any problems with both Os's just Mavericks seem's to runs better on the imac as it is only an I3 maxed out ram 16 gig

Oldmacs
13th February 2015, 11:33 AM
For reasons?

I don't know if I'm in the same boat, but my 2012 Macbook Pro was very unstable with Mavericks. Slow, buggy and glitchy. Yosemite is far better in all those respects for me.

rpjallan
14th February 2015, 12:20 PM
What macbook do you have?
Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro with Samsung SSD & 1TB hard drive as a fusion drive.

I don't know if I'm in the same boat, but my 2012 Macbook Pro was very unstable with Mavericks. Slow, buggy and glitchy. Yosemite is far better in all those respects for me.
Same...

The_Hawk
15th February 2015, 06:13 AM
I have Yosemite on my early 2013 rMBP and it does have it's issues with Bluetooth and occasionally WiFi, things that never happened under Mavericks (or at least I never noticed).

The other Macs in the house are all still on Mavericks, partly because they do just work and upgrading them would be a hassle, but also because I don't want the added support headaches if they have issues like my laptop did/does. That said if I was to rebuild any of them for any reason I'd go straight to Yosemite without too much thought.