PDA

View Full Version : Could Windows 10 be the next great Mac OS?

gehenna
24th January 2015, 12:25 PM
I don't mind saying it... I'm not pleased with the direction Mac OS has taken over the last few versions. Yosemite feels like a bit of a backwards step to me. It's as buggy as they come. The iOS integration seems to be more focussed on aesthetics than actual usability. iCloud feels like it has stalled and is a few steps behind the other market players. Basically I'm tired of it and having seen the Windows 10 announcements, and played with the preview a bit, I'm thinking I could be comfortable making the switch back to Windows sometime soon. The only thing that really keeps me in the Mac OS garden is the quality of 3rd party applications, and the quality of Mac hardware - most notably it's tight integration with the OS. One example of this integration that I'm yet to see on a Windows laptop is the multi-touch trackpad. Without a great trackpad that comes close to the usability of that of the Mac I just can't move to a Windows notebook.

So I'm thinking Windows 10 on a MacBook Pro will be an incredible combination. I hope Apple updates Boot Camp to support Windows 10 natively, including support for all the hardware - Thunderbolt, both GPU's, Retina Display, multi-touch, LE Bluetooth, and optimised performance of the already massive battery life etc etc.... I've used a virtualised Windows 10 preview on my MacBook Air quite a bit and it's fantastic, but without dedicated access to the hardware it's a bit hamstrung.

What do you think? Could Windows 10 be the next great Mac operating system?

iMic
24th January 2015, 02:36 PM
I'm optimistic about the direction Microsoft is taking with Windows 10. I started to lose interest in Mac OS X following a string of software issues in OS X Mavericks, and the release of Yosemite has only further compounded these issues and introduced new ones. If Apple can't improve their software moving forward - and current trends suggest that this won't be easy for them - then as a consumer, having a viable alternative is certainly welcome.

I've been attempting to install Windows 10 for about 10 hours now. Unfortunately I have an older MacBook Pro that isn't capable of booting Windows from USB, and despite swapping in three different optical drives I haven't been able to find one that works. So while I'm sure it will run rather smoothly on the MacBook Pro, the Mac is making every possible effort to prevent me from installing it. Hopefully I can figure out a solution eventually since I'm rather keen to test it out for myself.

Oldmacs
24th January 2015, 03:12 PM
I'm not overly impressed... Its just fixing the huge problems that they've had with Windows 8 and 8.1 Namely forcing a tablet interface onto a desktop and a desktop interface onto an ARM tablet.

While I endured constant issues with Mavericks, Yosemite has been rock solid for me. iCloud Drive, notifications widgets, the new messages features, text/call forwarding, airdrop and other new features immensely useful. I'm surprised that others have so many issues with it. I'd assumed it had killed most bugs, as it has on my machine.

I use Windows 8.1 very regularly and going back to the Mac is a blessed relief, as it simply is less buggy, more intuitive(for the most part), better designed and a joy to use.

Given that Windows 10 isn't THAT much different to Windows 8, I'm not thinking its going to come close to OSX. I'm also running the preview and they are headed back in the right direction but are a long way off.

Thingme
24th January 2015, 04:55 PM
Er, when a new Windows X come out based on UNIX, maybe I might respect Microsoft a little more.

And pigs might fly.

I've not used Windows in 18 months. I hope it stays that way.

Oldmacs
24th January 2015, 05:23 PM
Er, when a new Windows X come out based on UNIX, maybe I might respect Microsoft a little more.

And pigs might fly.

I've not used Windows in 18 months. I hope it stays that way.

AGREED!
Sadly I regularly have to use Windows and I choose to use it in bootcamp for a few games.

kyte
28th January 2015, 02:08 PM
I need windows for a couple of health apps (because for some reason its assumed that for those particular things and probably everything else, mac users do not get sick.pfft) and thats all. I've dropped back to Mavericks because after going through the beta program and as recently as a week ago still having issues which were not fixed from 10.10.1... I'm over it, have unenrolled from beta and have downgraded (well for me, it was a solid upgrade!). Mavericks was stable for me and its stable now. I won't be downgrading to Yosemite any time in the future.

I haven't seen Windows 10. maybe its time to take a look. I don't mind switching back, if OSX fails to be what I need at any time. Up to now, however, it still works for me.

Tassiecelt
28th January 2015, 08:19 PM
I have a 27" iMac that is basically a windows machine, I use it for work where I have to use Windows. Frankly, I hate windows, it's "blessed relief" for me to go back to my nice new MBP retina.

Mind you, I'm not pleased either with a number of aspects of Apples directions at present. I agree about iCloud, and what has happened to the promised Photos after terminating Aperture?
It seems to me that Apple is focussed only on making truckloads of cash by producing endless variations of iPhone and iPads. There will never be another Steve.

cosmichobo
7th February 2015, 07:07 PM
So, MicroSoft has actually learned from their failures and produced something descent with Windows 10???

Was Windows 9 considered too close to Windows 8's mess, that they had to avoid the PR mess and skip ahead to 10?

What exactly in W10 excited you so much?

I guess I'm just far too OCD to consider changing to an alternative OS... or hardware, for that matter.

Oldmacs
7th February 2015, 07:44 PM
So, MicroSoft has actually learned from their failures and produced something descent with Windows 10???

Was Windows 9 considered too close to Windows 8's mess, that they had to avoid the PR mess and skip ahead to 10?

What exactly in W10 excited you so much?

I guess I'm just far too OCD to consider changing to an alternative OS... or hardware, for that matter.

Windows 10 is really not that different and its pretty boring honestly. They're bringing back the start menu to make it like Windows 7 with some metro app tiles. Tablets smaller than 7 inches will not have the desktop anymore. They're copying Mission control, they're copying the reader mode and share menu for IE from Safari, Modern UI apps can run on the desktop.... yawn.

Its the same old story we keep hearing. People hated Vista, so they made 7 like XP with Vista's features. People hated Windows 8 so they are making 10 like 7 with 8's features.