PDA

View Full Version : Fixing iMac

sheernoise
3rd February 2004, 01:41 PM
I have a friend with an old G3 iMac which has a blown up Combo Drive and Modem. Anyone replaced either/both or know of anyone. Need to find out specs and suggested replacements.... Apple quoted $900 to replace... gotta be a better way.

Noise

decryption
3rd February 2004, 02:26 PM
$900.... Jesus, $1200 gets you a brand new 1GHz G4 eMac....

if you want to fix it, the combo drive is just a cd-rw drive. I'm not sure if your one is slot loading or not, but either way, should be cheap. If it's a slot one, those are harder to find, but not impossible. The modem how-ever, probably better to just buy a new USB external modem ;)

www.xlr8yourmac.com would have lots of info on replacing the combo drive.

the_argon
3rd February 2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Feb 3 2004, 02:56 PM
if you want to fix it, the combo drive is just a cd-rw drive. I'm not sure if your one is slot loading or not, but either way, should be cheap. If it's a slot one, those are harder to find, but not impossible.
Actually the combo drive is a CD-RW + DVD... Hence 'Combo' & all iMacs with DVD or better are slot-load.

Your best bet would be to look on ebay, or try and find someone with a dead iMac to get a drive from. AFAIK the 'Apple' drives are Matsushita, not sure on the model number though, you could probably find the info on xlr8yourmac.com somewhere.

The modem is onboard so to replace it means that a new logic board is needed, like decryption said easier and cheaper to get an external USB modem.

Byrd
4th February 2004, 01:53 PM
Which model iMac is it noise? Either way, you should be able to pick up a cheap replacement from any PC box shifter around.

JB

LCGuy
4th February 2004, 05:41 PM
Actually, the modem is not onboard. Its specific to the slotloading iMacs though, so you might have a hard time finding one. My suggestion is to get a dead iMac with the working parts th at you need, and swap 'em over. An advantage of this is that the extra iMac may be another flavour, so if you decide its a better colour than the working iMac, you can switch them over, and completely alter the appearance of your iMac. :D

the_argon
4th February 2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Feb 4 2004, 06:11 PM
An advantage of this is that the extra iMac may be another flavour, so if you decide its a better colour than the working iMac, you can switch them over, and completely alter the appearance of your iMac. :D
or you can mix 'n' match™ :P :D

sheernoise
5th February 2004, 07:18 AM
I'm getting the computer today. He's bringing it into work for me to pull apart! YAY!

Will keep you posted on details. Thanks for the advice so far!

Noise.

LCGuy
5th February 2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by the_argon@Feb 4 2004, 06:35 PM
or you can mix 'n' match™ :P :D
Ooh yes! Never thought of that. That could get kinda ugly though.... :o

the_argon
5th February 2004, 09:13 AM
*pictures ruby & sage combo* :o :huh: <_<

stevejay
5th February 2004, 11:12 AM
or a culinary flavour grape and sage :P ~~~~~~

sheernoise
5th February 2004, 12:20 PM
Well, it&#39;s a lovely grape G3 500

The drive in question appears to be a Matshita (isn&#39;t that an unfortunate name) CD-RW drive, not a combo, at least that&#39;s what the system profiler is telling me.... Product #CD-RW CW-7121

As for the modem, I&#39;m going to suggest going down the USB track. Would be easier for both of us.

Are slot-loading drives available from your local PC joint - never had to really think about it&#33;

Noise

the_argon
5th February 2004, 03:29 PM
The only slot load drives that are availabe for retail sale afaik are the poineer units, and I think they are only DVD drives not CDRW

You would have to check to see if they would physically fit the iMac (I assume that the iMac would be more compact than a typical PC.) And also that the iMac has the standard IDE data and molex power connectors.

cmetom
5th February 2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by sheernoise@Feb 5 2004, 01:20 PM
Matshita (isn&#39;t that an unfortunate name)
aka Matsushita, aka Panasonic, i believe.

sheernoise
6th February 2004, 06:34 AM
The drive fits into a standard sized bay (like a regular PC) and has the same connections.... I&#39;m assuming a generic would fit and operate ok, however, the problem will be getting something that feels like talking of OS9.1 (which is what the guy wants left installed&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;).

Noise.

LCGuy
6th February 2004, 03:40 PM
Nope. Won&#39;t work. The iMac needs a slot loader thats about the size of a laptop drive, but is not a laptop drive. IIRC its a part they only made for Apple.