PDA

View Full Version : Forced OS Update - 23 Dec 14

Scubasnaps
24th December 2014, 08:36 AM
Noticed yesterday that all my Macs had a dialog box open that said a security update had been installed and today I read in the SMH that Apple has had the ability to force update Mac OS for some time. This is the first time that it's been used, to fix a vulnerability in NTP.
This is a concern to me - I like to have control of whether I install updates or not, no matter how important. Could this function be exploited by others?
What do you think?

kyte
24th December 2014, 09:14 AM
I'm happy for that, and in fact I do believe its an option. If you check in your settings you may find that you have set an option to update without notification, security updates. I have. Check your gatekeeper as well. If you have got it set so only apple and regged developers can install, I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Scubasnaps
24th December 2014, 09:19 AM
This is a new feature Apple are using. Have a look at Apple forces first ever security update on Mac users (http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/apple-forces-first-ever-security-update-on-mac-users-20141223-12d5x8.html)

Buttercup
24th December 2014, 12:00 PM
I had to click on the OSX NPT update it for it to install so I guess it was already downloaded but not installed. Then the message saying a security update had been installed showed up.

I just clicked on 'Update' for the Safari update and it, too, installed. Apparently it, too was already downloaded. I have not clicked to update Yosemite as it is 5.something GBs and I only have a 6GB monthly wireless b'band plan so that will use it all. Looking at my B'band useage it does not appear to have downloaded spontaneously yet. I can't see how the Virgin wireless b'band service could be throttled and perform any worse than it is already (less than a Kbps much of the time though never used over my 6GBs) so maybe I'll do it. Last major update I had to go to the Apple Zoo to use their WiFi as it didn't completely DL via B'band.

Am I right in thinking those two were 'forced downloads' and the OS one hasn't downloaded because it's not a security fix?

Best wished for a happy Christmas and a happy and healthy 2015. Thanks for all the help to date.