PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight - No search results no my external hard drive

chalky
11th December 2014, 06:31 PM
I have recently upgraded to Yosemite but when I use Spotlight to search for a file spotlight does not search or include any files on my external hard drive. Can anyone else please shed some light on this annoying problem?

ArborealFriend
13th December 2014, 09:17 PM
I have recently upgraded to Yosemite but when I use Spotlight to search for a file spotlight does not search or include any files on my external hard drive. Can anyone else please shed some light on this annoying problem?

A few suggestions come to mind:

Look in System Preferences > Spotlight preferences:
Make sure that there are no categories of files or folders left un-ticked in the 'Search Results' tab.
Make sure that your external HD is not shown in the 'Prevent Spotlight searching in these locations' list, under the 'Privacy' tab.
After starting your search in the Spotlight menu (top right), click 'Show All in Finder' to switch to a search window, then specify where to search.
You could choose 'This Mac' which should search your entire Mac and any disks attached to it.
You could choose 'folder name' and specify the top-level folder on your external HD
In Finder > Preferences, under the 'General' tab make sure that your external HD is shown on the desktop.
Under the 'Sidebar' tab make sure that 'All My Files', your Mac HD, 'Hard disks', and 'External disks' are ticked.
Open a Finder window,make sure that the toolbar, at the top, has a 'Search' box.
If it doesn't, right-click (or ctrl-click) and select 'Customise Toolbar' to add one.
If you can't search your external HD the Spotlight menu (top right) try from 'All My Files' (You can arrange the search in date order, file type order, name order, etc) in a Finder window sidebar, or open your desktop-mounted external HD in a Finder window and use the search bar.

I hope this helps.

soulman
15th December 2014, 07:47 PM
You could also consider trying a 3rd party alternative to Spotlight, such as EasyFind (http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html), which works well for me for all those searching jobs that Spotlight seems really bad at.