PDA

View Full Version : Macgeeks.net - Australian Developer Community

thomas
10th September 2004, 03:54 PM
Hi All

Inspired by the lack of Australian mac developer communities a few of us here in Queensland have created MacGeeks.net

Macgeeks is an Australian based community for mac developers where we'll be posting reviews, tutorials and articles about developing for OS X. There's also a great discussion forum.

So come and check it out, sign up and post on the forums!! Let's get
the aussie mac developer community going!

http://www.macgeeks.net/

Thanks for your time,

Thomas Duggan

Disko
10th September 2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks Thomas. Good to see new aussie sites popping up. Good work.

Exocet
10th September 2004, 04:14 PM
Wow, that's looking really good guys. When I get my Powerbook in December I"ll be starting my first Mac programming. I have a feeling that a great site like this would be extremely beneficial. Any of you gamers out there, I'm going to be porting GameArena COGS to the mac - chat et all.

macgeek
10th September 2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Exocet@Sep 10 2004, 04:14 PM
Wow, that's looking really good guys. When I get my Powerbook in December I"ll be starting my first Mac programming. I have a feeling that a great site like this would be extremely beneficial. Any of you gamers out there, I'm going to be porting GameArena COGS to the mac - chat et all.

Wow that sounds cool! Is that an official thing that youve got a job doing? or jsut somthing your doing off your own back for the fun of it? or both? :P

cheers

Exocet
10th September 2004, 04:57 PM
Volunteer work to practice my coding on.

macgeek
10th September 2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Exocet@Sep 10 2004, 04:57 PM
Volunteer work to practice my coding on.
Nice! Sounds like fun.

Quamen
10th September 2004, 05:24 PM
Awsome. Just what I need. A place to rack peoples brains on mac dev. I know I have an project I want to undertake, this will be the perfect place to start!

the_argon
11th September 2004, 02:02 AM
Nice site!

You may see me in there soon... I am going to try to get into some mac programming soon.

Husq
11th September 2004, 08:18 AM
Maybe I should post this on macgeeks, but what software can you develop on a mac that is cross plaform compatible? I can think of web applications and java applications.

Also, is there a way to migrate cocoa applications to a non mac format?

macgeek
11th September 2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Husq@Sep 11 2004, 08:18 AM
Maybe I should post this on macgeeks, but what software can you develop on a mac that is cross plaform compatible? I can think of web applications and java applications.

Also, is there a way to migrate cocoa applications to a non mac format?
Yep, you should come over and post it in the forums, anyway, ill have a bash at answering it here...

The obvious answer is Java, you can develop java apps on the mac that *should* be cross platform (unless you use OS X specific things like the cocoa/java bridge etc)

Migrating Cocoa apps, as far as i know, would not be a simple process. Cocoa apps use the Cocoa API's which of course only exist on the mac / OS X platform.

What do you base this question on? Just a general query? or did you have something specific in mind that your thinking of developing?

On a side note, You can write C, C++, Objective-C, Objective C++, asm, etc etc etc programs on the mac and they will all be cross platform, as long as you dont use any platform specific API's and as long as you have a compiler on the other platform to compile and run it.

Feel free to post over at macgeeks, theres probably more people over there who can help.

Gothikon
11th September 2004, 11:09 AM
AFAIK RealBasic can output apps for Windows or Mac once you have finished coding, seperate application and exe but you still only do the coding once.

macgeek
11th September 2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Sep 11 2004, 11:09 AM
AFAIK RealBasic can output apps for Windows or Mac once you have finished coding, seperate application and exe but you still only do the coding once.
I hate to say it, but someone has too. No 'serious' mac programemr would use real basic to write apps.

I see real basic as a prototype tool, nothing more.

It may be good for n00bs starting out to learn basic programming skills, but they would be far betetr off using Cocoa and objective-c.

Besides, you have a LOT more power and flexibility using the Cocoa frameworks and Objective-C.

sikosis
23rd February 2005, 03:19 PM
indeed ... Cocoa is the way, it provides you with a common ground for your apps such as the ability to print, etc is there from the get go.

Obj-C is very similar to C syntax, so if you've had any experience with Javascript, PHP or Perl -- you should find Obj-C pretty easy to pick up.

If you're very new to programming then I'd suggest you try python - it's pretty much cross-platform (as long as you don't use OS-specific libraries and calls)

Gothikon
23rd February 2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by macgeek@Sep 11 2004, 01:47 PM
I hate to say it, but someone has too. No 'serious' mac programemr would use real basic to write apps.
That may be true, but if you want cross platform Apps without doing all the work twice it's that or Java pretty much. Discounting Perl/Activstate Perl, JavaScript/HTML and various other scripting languages...

Also I doubt many of the people on this board at least, or at least those asking questions on this board, are serious programmers and RealBasic would probably server their needs.