PDA

View Full Version : Documents folder locked (no access due to permission error) after migrating to new la

leon
11th November 2014, 04:07 PM
My wife just got a new retina MacBook Pro.

We used migration assistant to copy everything over from her 2009 MacBook Pro.

On restarting the new machine the documents folder is inaccessible due to us not having permission.
All other default home folder locations are accessible.

We've tried wiping the HDD and reinstalling yosemite and using setup assistant. Same problem.

If I use get info on the folder I can't change the sharing and permissions in the drop down box. All options are greyed out.

Anyone know what we can try?

Next step will be trying to simply copy the documents folder over manually. Not sure if that will work or not.

ibarnett
11th November 2014, 06:29 PM
When you go to "get info", can you click on the lock symbol & enter your admin password?
I f so that may enable you to change the permissions to read & write.

rpjallan
11th November 2014, 07:21 PM
Look up how to reset User permissions by starting up from the recovery partition...

leon
11th November 2014, 10:18 PM
When you go to "get info", can you click on the lock symbol & enter your admin password?
I f so that may enable you to change the permissions to read & write.

This didn't work. I could unlock the padlock but then I could add ourselves as a user with read and write privileges as the + to add a new option was greyed out.

I read up everything about resetting permissions etc and nothing worked. Thought it was a user ID problem as the original macbook had a UID of 501 whereas the new one had 502. Tried changing that and it just screwed everything up.

After reinstalling Yosemite today and running setup assistant, I was able to use get info and add ourselves as a user with read and write access. All seems to be good.

I don't understand why this all happened. Very unapple. Migration should "just work".

leon
12th November 2014, 09:32 PM
EDIT: even though we've unlocked the Documents folder, every folder within this folder is still locked and require unlocking manually.

I can't find anything online about this issue. Surely we can't be the only people who can't migrate a machine properly.

dragonslive
13th November 2014, 08:19 AM
EDIT: even though we've unlocked the Documents folder, every folder within this folder is still locked and require unlocking manually.
When changing permissions to read and write for the current user for the documents folder, did you or can you click on the little cog wheel and choose "apply to enclosed items"? This should change all the subfolders and files to the same permissions as the main documents folder.

MissionMan
13th November 2014, 11:16 PM
Try this, it should still be valid for Yosemite. There is an additional tool for repairing permissions in the recovery startup mode.

Repair User Permissions in Mac OS X | OSXDaily (http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/15/repair-user-permissions-in-mac-os-x-lion/)

MacRowdy
15th November 2014, 12:38 PM
If all that didn't work, you should be able to fall back on the Unix chown command (if the files are owned by a different user).

kaisersozay
20th November 2014, 09:44 AM
When changing permissions to read and write for the current user for the documents folder, did you or can you click on the little cog wheel and choose "apply to enclosed items"? This should change all the subfolders and files to the same permissions as the main documents folder.

Had a similar issue when one HDD died and the only recovery could be made from an older machine which contained many earlier files. It was tedious but necessary to Command I for every Folder -> unlock the padlock with Password and definitely click on the cog and choose as quoted above. Fear of the message 'this cannot be undone' probably stops most users. Just think logically - if you do not you will never access the file. If Restore could simply access locked files, it would be a stupid protocol accessible to anyone. You must unlock the original first before moving or restoring. So, that brings us to back ups. When you create a file, put it in a Folder we should all unlock everything before back up, no? It took me a long time time to figure this out after trying now and then to open backed up files only to find I did not have permissions. In most cases, I could open them with the Command I and Password method, but some would not. So why take the chance? Like another poster, I am puzzled as to why this has not been commented on, earlier.