PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite introduces bugs into my main application

audax2
8th November 2014, 12:09 PM
Hi guys

I have just bought a refurbished MacBook Pro from the Apple Store. This is the model that was released in October 2013.

The main program I use on my laptop is a medical practice management program called Genie. I went to update on my old laptop, before using Migration Assistant to transfer the files and applications from the old machine to the new one, and found a warning on the Genie webpage that, as they put it, although the latest issue of their software ran perfectly under OS X 10.8 and 10.9, attempting to run it under 10.10 revealed various flaws running the program under 10.10, and that further flaws may be found

Because of this problem I have not used the machine yet as I may have to return it to Apple.

However, rather than return it, I would prefer to install an earlier operating system. I understand from reading on the net that with modern Macs it may not be possible to install an operating system earlier than the one that was current at the time the machine was released. Since this machine was an October 2013 release, it should be possible at least to install Mavericks in place of Yosemite.

I would prefer to install Mountain Lion if possible rather than Mavericks because after nearly 30 years using exclusively Apple equipment, I'm fed up with Apple's constant useless cosmetic changes to the operating system.

My two questions are: (1) Is there any way to install Mountain Lion on this machine; and (2) if I can't install Mountain Lion, how do I install Mavericks?

Weaselstoke
8th November 2014, 01:15 PM
It has always been a requirement that Macs need the OS current as of their launch.

I haven't tried it but am guessing that Macs that are capable of booting from Windows with BootCamp can however use older versions of non Apple Systems. Curious, No? ;)

I have similar defects in certain apps running in Yosemite, mainly painful slowness and a break up of the graphics rendering to a quite unpleasant degree.

I recommend always to step into a new OS, by installing it on a an external Hard Drive first and testing it there before finally committing. In fact I still run Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8 on my 27" iMac because it is still the best OS. I have Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite on 3 separate external drives to run certain software and to check set-ups for support. Of the lot, I really only like 2, SL and Mavericks.

Yosemite is a real mixed bag visually. I hoped for a clean cut simple UI but instead it is areal muddle with many UI elements actually hard to read or spot. Spotlight is a mess and the auto-correction everywhere is having the opposite effect intended, it keeps replacing what I wanted with rubbish and really interferes with proper names or Brandnames.

We seem to be heading deeper into the Apple swamp. Virtually everything takes longer, with more mistakes or doesn't work at all.

ibarnett
8th November 2014, 05:31 PM
See here OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support (http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4718)
You should then get the version of OS X the Mac originally came with (as I understand it):
"Which version of OS X is installed by OS X Recovery?
If you use the Recovery System stored on your startup drive to reinstall OS X, it installs the most recent version of OS X previously installed on this computer.
If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer. After installation is finished, use the Mac App Store to install related updates or later versions of OS X that you have previously purchased."

nibbles
8th November 2014, 08:24 PM
Do you still have a machine with 10.7 or 10.8 on it?

If you do you could try and use a tool such as Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image of that machine then restore it to the new machine. Alternatively you might be able to find a bootable .iso somewhere in the dark corners of the internet that you could restore using a tool such as deploy studio (the usb version, not the server one).

Oldmacs
8th November 2014, 10:12 PM
Or if you have an older machine that you upgraded to Mavericks, you can re download mavericks on a computer signed into the Apple ID you used to upgrade to Mavericks. Then put it on a USB and reinstall :)

kyte
9th November 2014, 08:08 AM
My two questions are: (1) Is there any way to install Mountain Lion on this machine; and (2) if I can't install Mountain Lion, how do I install Mavericks?

I doubt that ML will be an option for you, with a machine that new. You should be able to see a downloadable Mavericks when you log in to the Apps store. Download it, create a USB boot drive, and see what happens. If for some reason its not eligible, the system will tell you. I feel your pain, though, Mountain Lion is still the version of the OS I prefer...

Oldmacs
9th November 2014, 11:23 AM
Give Yosemite an update or two and it will be very solid. Most problems people are having seem to be due to third party applications, so hopefully the developers get on top of it.

Mountain Lion and Yosemite have been the two most stable versions of OSX lately (at least in my experience). A heap of the annoying bugs I had with Mavericks like jerky animations, spotlight crashing, finder crashing, bugs with cover flow, safari crashing constantly, Notes deleting after 5 seconds of typing, iCloud documents deleting themselves, files randomly corrupting and mail issues have all been fixed :D :D

grommet80
18th November 2014, 08:20 AM
Unlucky the refurb'd 13" retina I just bought was 10.9.