PDA

View Full Version : Full Drive - Can't Locate the Movies to Delete...

2nd November 2014, 02:11 PM
Hi All

Need some help with my macbook.

An older machine which has now got a full startup disk and also stating a full HD, it's stating 48G of movies however i can't locate them to delete them and free the space up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan

midnight_e
2nd November 2014, 03:20 PM
While I'm not sure, this may help.
This is one thing that I would do if I was in your situation.
Always good to have a backup in case anything goes askew, in fact essential to have backup.

Assuming nothing is in the trash, if there is, empty it.
Open disk utility, select your hard drive, select erase, select 'erase free space'.

Take a note of the values at the bottom of the window, capacity, available, used, and number of files. Look at these values again after the erase free space thing, see if anything has changed.

If nothing changes, then the files you are after are probably to be found in a silly place somewhere.

recd
2nd November 2014, 04:10 PM
Unless you have changed the default locations movies will be stored in~/user/movies, this includes folders for iMovies. Another place would bewithin the iTunes/itunes music/movies folder, however I believe its better to delete those movies from within the iTunes application.
edit for spelling

soulman
2nd November 2014, 08:59 PM
An older machine which has now got a full startup disk and also stating a full HD, it's stating 48G of movies however i can't locate them to delete them and free the space up.Unless you have more than one drive in the machine, the startup disk and the HD are the same thing. There are lots of ways to find files and heaps of free/shareware you can use to locate stuff that's hogging space. I use WhatSize (http://whatsizemac.com/), which has a trial and there are others apps that do the same thing. If you only have to use it once, you could just use it in trial mode.

Open disk utility, select your hard drive, select erase, select 'erase free space'.That makes anything that's already deleted impossible to recover. It will not affect the amount of free space available.

midnight_e
2nd November 2014, 11:05 PM
That makes anything that's already deleted impossible to recover. It will not affect the amount of free space available.

Yep, that sounds right. A post made with not a lot of thought.