PDA

View Full Version : Old video camera with iMovie 10

SteveClark
29th October 2014, 04:19 PM
G'day all

I've dusted off an old video camera, shot a short video and hooked it up to my MacBook Pro with Yosemite and iMovie 10.0.6. Doesn't seem to work - not showing up as an input device. Am I being unrealistic to expect it to work? It's a Canon mv830i. Nice in it's day!

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Steve

recd
29th October 2014, 05:42 PM
Don't know this camera specifically, but are you using the following order; connect the camera to MBP, turn on camera, then launch iMovie?

nibbles
29th October 2014, 05:47 PM
I've had barely any luck with iMovie and firewire cameras since iMovie HD. Good luck, if it doesn't work connecting it in the order above then there's not much that can be done :(

Oldmacs
29th October 2014, 06:03 PM
Our 2001 Sony Digital 8 video camera (firewire) works with iMovie 10 for me (I think!!) I'm pretty sure I used it in February to import all our Digital 8 tapes. I have a slight feeling it could have been final cut pro X though...

Can you simply remove the SD card from your camera (Assuming its SD based) and insert it into your Mac??

I definitely know that I had it working with iMovie 9 though :)

SteveClark
29th October 2014, 09:02 PM
OK - sounds like I should be using FireWire rather than USB. It's coming back to me but of course my 1-year old MacBook Pro doesn't have FireWire. Not sure I can be bothered with a Thunderbolt adapter. The camera takes SD cards but not sure what capacity it can handle. This was dusted off for my dad who has an oldish iMac - probably with a FireWire port. I'll try it in his machine on the weekend and try the SD card solution.

Thanks all

Steve

leon
30th October 2014, 08:42 AM
OK - sounds like I should be using FireWire rather than USB. It's coming back to me but of course my 1-year old MacBook Pro doesn't have FireWire. Not sure I can be bothered with a Thunderbolt adapter. The camera takes SD cards but not sure what capacity it can handle. This was dusted off for my dad who has an oldish iMac - probably with a FireWire port. I'll try it in his machine on the weekend and try the SD card solution.

Thanks all

Steve

If I recall, video is only inputted via Firewire. The USB port is for stills that you may have taken. I have a Canon HV20 and it would only import video via FW.

Alchroma
5th November 2014, 12:10 PM
G'day all

I've dusted off an old video camera, shot a short video and hooked it up to my MacBook Pro with Yosemite and iMovie 10.0.6. Doesn't seem to work - not showing up as an input device. Am I being unrealistic to expect it to work? It's a Canon mv830i. Nice in it's day!

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Steve

The 830 is a miniDV cam and will require a firewire connection to capture video from the tape and, yes, I'd expect it to work.
If the Mac in use does not have a firewire port you may have to get yourself a thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter.
Happy capturing. :-)

Al