PDA

View Full Version : Mid 2007 iMac 4GB ram, upgrade to Yosemite or not?

SRG
19th October 2014, 01:09 PM
My wife's iMac just slips in as the oldest iMac that can upgrade to Yosemite. The question is should I bother or is the likely loss of performance mean it is better to stick with Mavericks?

Appreciate the thoughts of everyone and particularly if someone with a similar machine has upgraded?

Oldmacs
19th October 2014, 06:05 PM
Can you put it on a partition to give it a try?

I'm going to try it on a 2008 Macbook (Aluminium) sometime soon, so I'll see how that goes!

SRG
19th October 2014, 06:13 PM
Would rather not muck around with a partition on that machine, more a keep it simple unit.

Oldmacs
19th October 2014, 06:21 PM
Would rather not muck around with a partition on that machine, more a keep it simple unit.

What if you just installed it to test then uninstalled and deleted the partition?

leon
19th October 2014, 07:16 PM
I'd say Mavericks is as taxing as Yosemite is. If your concerned about speed then leave snow leopard in it.

SRG
19th October 2014, 08:31 PM
Actually I have Mavericks on it and it is quite sluggish, so my concern is Yosemie will make that worse.

might be as you say about the same though, so might be worth the plunge. Think I will see how it goes in my other machines over the week and maybe update it next weekend.

Goodbye
20th October 2014, 06:43 AM
I had hesitations of installing Yosemite on my 2008 MacBook Pro, as Mavericks was awful. However with Yosemite it's like a whole new computer! Everything is fast and I don't get any beachballs as I was doing regularly with Mavericks. VERY happy!

leon
20th October 2014, 07:59 AM
Is the 2007 a 20" or 24"?
The 24" is pretty easy to crack open, with the 20" being a little more fiddly with plastic tabs.

Have you thought about doing an SSD upgrade as well as Yosemite?

Dog Knight
20th October 2014, 04:06 PM
I've installed Yosemite on my old 2007 MBP - 2.2ghz C2D, 4gb RAM, 128mb GC, SSD.

Runs well, no additional performance hit compared to Mavericks. I suspect the SSD is the main reason it still runs nicely. I was expecting the graphics to be an issue, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Still have a partition running Snow Leopard for when I want to play older games.

SRG
20th October 2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. An SSD is an option but it is the 20 inch, so is right on my comfort zone.

agdavies
23rd October 2014, 08:54 PM
I have upgraded to Yosemite on an iMac with exactly the same configuration as yours. I've been running all my apps for about a week and all seems very stable. So far I have been able to use all the software I ran previously. I develop software, use the usual MS Office apps, Safari, 1Password, Firefox, Chrome, Apple Mail, iCloud and all working flawlessly as far as I can see. Performance seems to be about the same as Mavericks. The integration with iOS 8.0/iCloud/iMac is working as advertised for Yosemite .. Handover is pretty nifty.
All my menu bar items work - Air Video Server, Plex, Emit, Moom, Butler and TextExpander.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Allan

SRG
23rd October 2014, 09:19 PM
Allan welcome to MacTalk!

thanks for that, think I will take the plunge and see how it goes. Certainly seems like no real issue in your case.

Shaun