PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite - feeling underwhelmed

biteapple
18th October 2014, 08:07 AM
I was super pumped to install this which I did last night and am a bit disappointed in the following:

The hotspot activate from mac to phone doesn't seem to work as advertised (nor when connected does it show the signal strength or phone battery on the mac)
The soft beep when pressing the volume up/ down keys is gone which for me, sucks
I've tried send a SMS to a non iCloud user and it still tells me they don't have icloud - umm yep. I know that!
The dock icons are boring given we had really nice detail in Mavericks for Retina displays (think trash can - used to be a wire mesh now it's just a semi transparent bucket that you'd get from the $2 shop - lol)

I am still exploring but hope that at least the advertised features actually work...or if it's user error I'll work it out.

Keen to hear of your thoughts and experiences.
Cheers.

tonyberinson
18th October 2014, 05:07 PM
The hotspot activate from mac to phone doesn't seem to work as advertised (nor when connected does it show the signal strength or phone battery on the mac)
Needs IOS 8.1 (which isn't out yet - soon though)

The soft beep when pressing the volume up/ down keys is gone which for me, sucks
There is a setting under Sound to reactivate it.. "Play feedback when volume is changed"

I've tried send a SMS to a non iCloud user and it still tells me they don't have icloud - umm yep. I know that!
Needs IOS 8.1 (which isn't out yet - soon though)

The dock icons are boring given we had really nice detail in Mavericks for Retina displays (think trash can - used to be a wire mesh now it's just a semi transparent bucket that you'd get from the $2 shop - lol)
Actually looks rather cool.. I love the rubbish bin.

Cheers

davemc
18th October 2014, 07:36 PM
updated today Safari just crashes on me when I start. Lucky I use Chrome. I just thought I have a look. Pretty bad it does not start..

I agree do not understand the ios7 bland icons.. You make the screens more detailed although cartoon icons.

Oldmacs
18th October 2014, 07:57 PM
I'm loving Yosemite.... Mavericks never pleased me in any way, but Yosemite for some reason has sped up my Mac (And I haven't even yet done clean install). I initially hated the new look when it was announced, but its grown on me to the extent I really like it. Although I have a few little nigles, overall i'm loving it all.

However that being the case, the new style won't impress everyone, and new features aren't exactly a high point of Yosemite, especially if you're not a heavy iPhone or iPad user.

davemc
18th October 2014, 08:02 PM
Spent a few minutes searching the net on Chrome.. Deleted extensions manually and Glims.
Working now..
I go back every month of so for a night on Safari.. the Tabs are stupid compared to Chrome.. Anyone know how you make then keep to the left in a small box? I do not want to look to the far right to work out which of the two tabs is what.
And the stupid hidden close x... sorry rant over and hijacking thread

kerr
18th October 2014, 08:29 PM
I'm a fan, so far

soulman
18th October 2014, 09:23 PM
John Siracusa seems pretty impressed with it (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/).

Oldmacs
18th October 2014, 11:11 PM
What I really like about Yosemite is that its fresh but familiar so its easy to teach basic users. Not like a whole paradigm change with Windows 8. Now that was hard to teach people!

changa
19th October 2014, 06:57 AM
I am liking Yosemite. It may be just a UI change for many things, but like iOS7 (I was a fan of iOS7 too) it seems to freshen everything up.

lostom
19th October 2014, 11:16 AM
I'm a big fan to be honest, worked immediately and a definite speed improvement across the board.

Been doing plenty of different things, photos, encoding, surfing etc and all seems to work fast and flawless, i'm impressed.

kyte
19th October 2014, 02:36 PM
There is much I detest about Yosemite to the point that the one useful thing that I would make use of is not enough to keep me on it. No doubt it will get better. I hate the bright colours, I hate the flat icons. I *seriously* detest the use of Helvetica Neue across the system, it probably looks great if you dont have a)crappy eyes and b) if you do have a retina or high res screen. My dell 2410 is apparently past it.

I'm glad I had a clone to fall back on. I'm cloning back to the Mac HD, and will likely install yosemite into a virtual machine if I can, and keep a weather eye on its progress.

Oh yeah... sso slow on my Mac mini (late 2012) over a minute from switch on to functioning desktop. and lots of beachballs.

davemc
19th October 2014, 03:01 PM
I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini.. Have not found it slow.. Although not a fan of the flat icons.
Although my Mac sleeps hardly gets turned off.

Thingme
19th October 2014, 05:47 PM
I've experienced the new OS with the Dev Previews. So am not in a rush to install the release version. Fact is I am sticking with Mavericks on the current iMac. Many things about the OS X 10.10 UI disappointed me. So I await the arrival during the week of the 27" Retina iMac with Yosemite aboard before I start seriously using it. I expect that I will adapt as I usually do. Unless Yosemite turns out to be badly flawed I'll go with the flow and enjoy it one way or t'other.

Oldmacs
19th October 2014, 06:02 PM
There is much I detest about Yosemite to the point that the one useful thing that I would make use of is not enough to keep me on it. No doubt it will get better. I hate the bright colours, I hate the flat icons. I *seriously* detest the use of Helvetica Neue across the system, it probably looks great if you dont have a)crappy eyes and b) if you do have a retina or high res screen. My dell 2410 is apparently past it.

I'm glad I had a clone to fall back on. I'm cloning back to the Mac HD, and will likely install yosemite into a virtual machine if I can, and keep a weather eye on its progress.

Oh yeah... sso slow on my Mac mini (late 2012) over a minute from switch on to functioning desktop. and lots of beachballs.

Kyte, its weird you're having performance issues... My Macbook Pro is pretty much the same as your Mac Mini.. Are you on the original HD? Mine is a fast 7200RPM drive so maybe thats why I'm having a better experience? Everything seems nice and smooth for me, some things seem a little slow to open, but I put that down to the fact I did a upgrade instead of a clean install.

NORMANDY
19th October 2014, 08:27 PM
Kyte, its weird you're having performance issues... My Macbook Pro is pretty much the same as your Mac Mini.. Are you on the original HD? Mine is a fast 7200RPM drive so maybe thats why I'm having a better experience? Everything seems nice and smooth for me, some things seem a little slow to open, but I put that down to the fact I did a upgrade instead of a clean install.

I like :

the fonts. the cleaner look, the new safari, iTunes is ok, but its needs a complete overhaul.

I don't like:Handoff doesn't work at all, then again handoff isn't working on my new iPad air and iPhone 6 either, , I get phone calls to my mac, but I can't answer them (bugs i think. After two complete installs and having to a clean install, after 2 days, its been the worst install experience ever of a mac in 22 years !!
It seems to be eating up more ram, just as well I have 8GB on my mid 2011 iMac. I don't see any performance improvements in fact some programmes are running slightly slower, same games are dropping frame rates, I guess its going to take a few patches to fix the amount of issues I am seeing on forums.

In summary, looks ok, but I am not a fan, it feels unfinished !

kyte
19th October 2014, 08:50 PM

Yes, it needs a faster drive, SSD for preference. I also upgraded, I'm going to put it on an external, clean, and boot from that once in a while. If I had had half a brain, thats what I would have done to begin with so that I wouldn't have screwed my existing install. Not to worry, though, its all almost back to whats normal and acceptable for me.

And I HATE Helvetica Neue all over the system. WTF was wrong with Lucida Grande???

Oldmacs
19th October 2014, 09:07 PM
I like :

the fonts. the cleaner look, the new safari, iTunes is ok, but its needs a complete overhaul.

I don't like:Handoff doesn't work at all, then again handoff isn't working on my new iPad air and iPhone 6 either, , I get phone calls to my mac, but I can't answer them (bugs i think. After two complete installs and having to a clean install, after 2 days, its been the worst install experience ever of a mac in 22 years !!
It seems to be eating up more ram, just as well I have 8GB on my mid 2011 iMac. I don't see any performance improvements in fact some programmes are running slightly slower, same games are dropping frame rates, I guess its going to take a few patches to fix the amount of issues I am seeing on forums.

In summary, looks ok, but I am not a fan, it feels unfinished !

As usual I have the complete opposite experience to everyone else. Yosemite is running like a dream compared to Mavericks on my Macbook..... :P

I don't know why, but I feel this is far more finished that iOS 8 is!!

DagrtheSnide
19th October 2014, 09:39 PM
Loving this release, snappier and love the look when compared to Yosemite on my early 2009 Mac mini. iTunes is a joy to use again, all my apps still work.

The planets must've lined up or something because this is not my usual experience with a .0 release of OS X.

Oldmacs
19th October 2014, 09:41 PM
Loving this release, snappier and love the look when compared to Yosemite on my early 2009 Mac mini. iTunes is a joy to use again, all my apps still work.

The planets must've lined up or something because this is not my usual experience with a .0 release of OS X.

Yes!!! This is me as well!!!

kyte
19th October 2014, 11:33 PM
Interestingly, I have never had issues before with the first release of OSX. My first Mac came with Jaguar. I lined up for Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. I downloaded Lion as soon as it was available. Didnt like it much but it behaved. Was in the ML beta program so I knew what was coming.. Didnt bother with Mavericks betas but got that pretty much right away... and this... which made me puke nearly right away. Mavericks has been a bit slow, and Yosemite was very slow. A new drive is required, anyway. But I cant successfully read text... they have chosen a font which reduces spacing between the characters. On a browser I found I had to increase the font size x4 to be able to read comfortably. Thats just silly. another option might have been to drop to a lower resolution. UGH. I have chosen to revert, for now. *Happy again*

remhh
20th October 2014, 07:44 AM
I am slowly getting used to the new format, but have to agree that it has slowed my Mac mini late 2012 down. My issue at the moment is that markup was not working after install and I had to do some research and manual digging through the systems/library to enable it. Still cannot use services or sharing.

harryb2448
20th October 2014, 07:55 AM
Yosemite is great but does require more than suggested memory - 8GB seems to be a suggested minimum by enthusiasts.

NORMANDY
21st October 2014, 09:56 AM
oh it so needs 16GB, I have page outs all over the place with 8GB on a mid 2011 iMac

harryb2448
21st October 2014, 11:15 AM
Really?

Never see page outs same model running 12GB NORMANDY.

NORMANDY
21st October 2014, 01:08 PM
well thats it must really need 12GB , 16GB would be a min spec for it

Oldmacs
21st October 2014, 01:58 PM
My Mac is fine with 8GB...

NORMANDY
21st October 2014, 04:43 PM
TRY RUNNING, safari, outlook, iTunes, and one or two other things.. watch it slow down.. yet I did all this with Mavericks and its fine ! or run final cut..... agh !

Oldmacs
21st October 2014, 06:15 PM
I've got pages, keynote, iMovie, Safari, iTunes, mail, messages and final cut open at the moment and it's fine. Mavericks would have been acting up a little but Yosemite seems happy enough

step_andy
21st October 2014, 07:59 PM
Attempted to update my son's MBP.
10.10 installed fine but MBP would not boot after the update. It would get to the account screen and after password is entered, it would beech ball.
Zapped pram, safe boot, reinstalled 10.10 ... all no avail.

Wiped HD, reformat, install 10.10 fresh ... all good

iPath
21st October 2014, 08:14 PM
I don't think it is too bad and it runs fine on my three machines..

I HATE itunes but.. I want my side menu back with all play lists etc... Anyone know how to get this back?

rpjallan
21st October 2014, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know if Photoshop CS6 runs ok on Yosemite?

kerr
21st October 2014, 09:41 PM
I HATE itunes but.. I want my side menu back with all play lists etc... Anyone know how to get this back?

TidBITS: Examining iTunes 12 (http://tidbits.com/article/15171)

kerr
21st October 2014, 10:29 PM
[BUG] except for F3 and F4, function keys not working on late-2013 rMBP, no problems with late-2009 iMac

Have also tried when pressing fn button with the function keys, no difference.

Have only just noticed now, will reboot later to see if that fixes it.

I installed the new iStat Mini yesterday, but I assume that wouldn't be the cause.

Oldmacs
21st October 2014, 10:34 PM
[BUG] except for F3 and F4, function keys not working on late-2013 rMBP, no problems with late-2009 iMac

Have also tried when pressing fn button with the function keys, no difference.

Have only just noticed now, will reboot later to see if that fixes it.

I installed the new iStat Mini yesterday, but I assume that wouldn't be the cause.

That is strange. My Macbook Pro non-retina seems to be fine in that respect. I wonder if its model specific or the install or something else?

kerr
21st October 2014, 10:48 PM
Fixed after hard reboot, rMBP would not respond to -Restart/Shut Down.

Am a little concerned, will monitor to see if it happens again.

kyte
22nd October 2014, 03:24 AM
Does anyone know if Photoshop CS6 runs ok on Yosemite? I would imagine so. For the very brief time I had Yosemite on my computer, it ran CS5 OK, just needed to install java runtimes.

kyte
22nd October 2014, 03:25 AM
I don't think it is too bad and it runs fine on my three machines..

Nope. It doesnt exist in iTunes 12. I hate it too but am adapting :-/

NORMANDY
22nd October 2014, 06:14 AM
no its not, go under music, and playlists are there

recd
22nd October 2014, 06:22 AM
I'm liking Yosemite so far. On my 2008MP it seems to use less ram? As a test dropped a broadcast filter, into the timeline, in finalcut 10. Appears faster, if anything.

harryb2448
22nd October 2014, 07:49 AM
Notebooks seem to prefer a format and clean install rather than the upgrade route.

Musky
22nd October 2014, 12:35 PM
Unfortunately I fall into the unimpressed category, I feel that Yosemite looks a bit cartoony and worst of all it's completely broken SMB for me. I can't connect to any of my NAS via SMB aymore, it was bad enough I had to connect via SMB 1 once Mavericks came along, now I've had to change them all the AFP which sucks because one of my NAS doesn't support AFP so I can't connect to it at all.

My team at work all use Macs and I've very reluctant to upgrade anyone to Yosemite especially as we're in an Active Directory environment.

grfxninja
22nd October 2014, 02:06 PM
Using a mid 2011 iMac 27" with 16GB RAM.
This Mac is loving Yosemite so far, but it's only been installed since about 9am this morning so we'll see what happens over the next couple of days.
I don't find it "cartoonish" but thats just my personal opinion ;)

Oldmacs
22nd October 2014, 04:35 PM
My Mac just loves Yosemite, my battery is getting 7 hours, which it has never done before. Animations are all smooth and its just lovely.

I hated the look when Apple introduced it but I'm really loving it now :)

For those you hate the look, you can change the icons back to Mavericks ones :)

grizabellachinchilla
23rd October 2014, 01:16 PM
As usual I have the complete opposite experience to everyone else. Yosemite is running like a dream compared to Mavericks on my Macbook..... :P

I don't know why, but I feel this is far more finished that iOS 8 is!!

Hi all I have just installed Yosemite on my 2010 iMac, didn't take too long and so far no problems, but then I'm probably a minimal user. What I LOVE is that they have reinstated the month selection on the calendar to the RHS. Why they switched it to the left on Mavericks is a mystery to me. Not so keen on the new bin. I agree with someone who said it looks like a special for 50c from the two dollar shop. The old bin was classy! I'm pretty ancient but so far can read the text OK wherever I work. I really appreciate the hints you guys post about using the new system. I have started a reminder page so I can fix things that annoy me - like the lack of a sidebar in iTunes. The guys at the Apple store helped me with that one.

kyte
23rd October 2014, 02:18 PM
My Mac just loves Yosemite, my battery is getting 7 hours, which it has never done before. Animations are all smooth and its just lovely.

I hated the look when Apple introduced it but I'm really loving it now :)

For those you hate the look, you can change the icons back to Mavericks ones :)

I wish you could change the fonts... but how to change the icons back to mavericks ones? script or just the usual replace in the get info window. I'm getting close to upgrading again.

Oldmacs
23rd October 2014, 02:22 PM
I wish you could change the fonts... but how to change the icons back to mavericks ones? script or just the usual replace in the get info window. I'm getting close to upgrading again.

if you keep Mavericks on a partition, copy the .icns files out of the mavericks Applications and use the get info window to replace them :)

Oldmacs
23rd October 2014, 02:31 PM
Oh and Kyte - These two links may interest you?

https://github.com/jenskutilek/FiraSystemFontReplacement

How to change system font? - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1753063)

kyte
25th October 2014, 08:23 AM
Oh and Kyte - These two links may interest you?

https://github.com/jenskutilek/FiraSystemFontReplacement

How to change system font? - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1753063)

Thanks!! REading now. I will reupgrade if I can get those fonts changed.

Interesting stuff. I'm going to reupgrade today and see about tinker tool :)

yerg
25th October 2014, 11:17 AM
Installed in iMac, Macbook Pro and Air ... no issues. Access shared drives, NAS and more.

Actually like the font. Not fussed re the icons.

Waiting for my iPhone six to enjoy the integration with calling hands free

ellenmac
25th October 2014, 11:49 AM

It seems to work on my MBP middle 2013 OK have no problems with Lightroom either.

Drifter
25th October 2014, 11:51 AM
Handoff doesn't work and apparently won't.If I had a 2011 Mini it would.

Oldmacs
25th October 2014, 01:05 PM
I thought handoff didn't work on the 2011 Mac mini or Air??

Thats Apple's forced obsolescence as apparently both these models are fully capable.

MadKiwi
25th October 2014, 01:11 PM
I thought handoff didn't work on the 2011 Mac mini or Air??

Thats Apple's forced obsolescence as apparently both these models are fully capable.

That's why Apple's profits are so high, people are being forced in to buying new hardware so that they can "keep up with the Joneses", and have all the fancy features that Apple says that they need... when really they don't.

Oldmacs
25th October 2014, 01:52 PM
That's why Apple's profits are so high, people are being forced in to buying new hardware so that they can "keep up with the Joneses", and have all the fancy features that Apple says that they need... when really they don't.

Thats not new though. Mountain Lion and above are capable of running on any Core 2 Duo Mac, but Apple did not write a driver for the graphics, so it didn't allow then 3.5 year old macs to run ML. Leopard cut out G4s under 800 MHZ even though a great deal of them were perfectly capable. Tiger had the artificial 'need' for firewire to install, yet it installs and runs fine on machines without firewire, when installed from another machine.

Leaves me scared to think of how many Macs 10.11 will drop, as the requirements since 10.8 have been the same...

The Guv
26th October 2014, 11:39 AM
I'm also unimpressed. I don't know if I'm just getting old and reluctant to change but I don't much that's useful and I'm getting the impression that Jony is getting too pampered with his design decisions.

I'm running it part-time on a 2010 13" MBP (8gb/SSD) and it's still quite fast, but the UI must've been developed with the new displays in mind as mine is blurry as all get out. Even with the strong text, reduced transparency and the dark options, the text is just plain harder to read.

The general flatness has left me meh, it seems like all the cool jobs were done upfront and the rest left to the interns or until the next release. Some of the icons are great, the others I wonder why they even bothered doing them? The extensions and startup disk icons are just grey and dull on my machine.

Menus are dull and to me, they don't really work with grouping elements together. It's like Jony studied up on the flat design trend then forgot to actually test it and see if it improves the experience! I mean, why would you replace the startup indicator with the same device that was used to tell people their machine was in safe mode?!

And I'm really pissed that they removed the option to have a solid top menu bar but I think that's me just getting old! :D

Oldmacs
26th October 2014, 12:07 PM
I'm also unimpressed. I don't know if I'm just getting old and reluctant to change but I don't much that's useful and I'm getting the impression that Jony is getting too pampered with his design decisions.

I'm running it part-time on a 2010 13" MBP (8gb/SSD) and it's still quite fast, but the UI must've been developed with the new displays in mind as mine is blurry as all get out. Even with the strong text, reduced transparency and the dark options, the text is just plain harder to read.

The general flatness has left me meh, it seems like all the cool jobs were done upfront and the rest left to the interns or until the next release. Some of the icons are great, the others I wonder why they even bothered doing them? The extensions and startup disk icons are just grey and dull on my machine.

Menus are dull and to me, they don't really work with grouping elements together. It's like Jony studied up on the flat design trend then forgot to actually test it and see if it improves the experience! I mean, why would you replace the startup indicator with the same device that was used to tell people their machine was in safe mode?!

And I'm really pissed that they removed the option to have a solid top menu bar but I think that's me just getting old! :D

I thought turning transparency in Accessibility settings made the top bar solid??

Personally the new design has turned out to be appealing, and it makes sense to make iOS and OS X share a similar aesthetic. iOS 6 and Mountain Lion tied together quite nicely due to the shared design, but iOS 7 and Mavericks felt very out of place. I appreciate that they didn't change OS X to the extent I thought they were going to. Its not as flat as iOS 7/8 so it still feels very much like OSX. Having said that, I can understand that not everyone is me!!!

I'm also not a fan of the new startup indicator. I liked the cog better.

The Guv
26th October 2014, 12:20 PM
I thought turning transparency in Accessibility settings made the top bar solid??

It does, but it also affects up the dock and other windows. I liked just having the menu bar solid as everything else was as it always irked me that you'd have a translucent strip at the top of the screen and nowhere else.

I agree that they should have a similar aesthetic, I just feel that Jony actually worked on iOS whereas MacOS has been really rushed. In fact, some of it reminds of OS9 days with the custom skins you could apply!

soulman
26th October 2014, 02:00 PM
I haven't started using it yet, so I'm not overly qualified to comment, but one way to look at the Yosemite UI is that it's OS X Ive Version 1.0; functional, but nowhere near as good as it's going to be. There's quite an interesting review of it here (http://www.subtraction.com/2014/10/21/thoughts-on-yosemites-look-and-feel/).

The Guv
26th October 2014, 02:20 PM
I haven't started using it yet, so I'm not overly qualified to comment, but one way to look at the Yosemite UI is that it's OS X Ive Version 1.0; functional, but nowhere near as good as it's going to be. There's quite an interesting review of it here (http://www.subtraction.com/2014/10/21/thoughts-on-yosemites-look-and-feel/).

I think you're right and that article is spot-on, thanks for sharing it.

Oldmacs
26th October 2014, 02:46 PM
I think you're right and that article is spot-on, thanks for sharing it.

Perhaps its like Aqua.. it didn't really get refined till 10.3 or 10.4.

msilsby
26th October 2014, 06:06 PM
OMG!

You guys are like, not even real mac people. A true mac person would never 'dis Sir Ive. You should all be ashamed of yourselves and BANISHED from these mac forums for EVAH!!!!

I am Shocked and Dismayed!

yerg
26th October 2014, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by rpjallan

Works on my iMac and MacBook Pro just fine

The Guv
26th October 2014, 06:42 PM
Perhaps its like Aqua.. it didn't really get refined till 10.3 or 10.4.

Yep, it always sucks going from a refined v9 to a sucky v1!

OMG!

You guys are like, not even real mac people. A true mac person would never 'dis Sir Ive. You should all be ashamed of yourselves and BANISHED from these mac forums for EVAH!!!!

I am Shocked and Dismayed!

lol, Ive should maybe look at doing some overtime!

rpjallan
26th October 2014, 06:57 PM
Works on my iMac and MacBook Pro just fine

Thanks.

Oldmacs
26th October 2014, 07:12 PM
Its now been a week with Yosemite, and despite the very occasional bug and my laptop running a bit warmer, My Macbook hasn't run this well since mountain lion :D

LCGuy
26th October 2014, 10:06 PM
I spent today hacking a Mid 2009 MacBook logic board into my Late 2007/Santa Rosa MacBook, the main goal of which was to get it up to Yosemite, my first OS X upgrade since Lion.

Honestly, I'm impressed. I'm slowly catching up on the last two years of new features...meanwhile overall the machine is faster (though that may be more hardware related, since I've pimped it out with 8GB of RAM and an SSD), and believe it or not I actually like the "flat" interface. The change of font will take some getting used to, but overall, I like it.

http://i60.tinypic.com/35lgf3q.jpg

Drifter
27th October 2014, 01:04 PM
Hey guys and gals.. just found this on OS X Daily.. it may help some of you with the visual of Yosemite.
6 Easy Tips to Speed Up OS X Yosemite on Your Mac | OSXDaily (http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/24/speed-up-os-x-yosemite-mac/)

kyte
4th November 2014, 04:44 AM
I finally caved last night. Clean install and migrate from TM, so at least the system is clean without leftover cruft from ML/Mavericks. The Migration took HOURS.! I've turned off the LCD font smoothing as someone suggested and find thats a bit more acceptable. I'll have a read of the link above (thanks, Drifter!) and see if theres more than can be done.

Issues so far. Unable to increase text size anywhere. Message sent to Apple but apparently they dont care and wont change it. Also, something truly weird which may get fixed on reboot... blank finder preferences window. Strange.

auckland
20th November 2014, 09:26 AM
So the latest update still has the Volume/brightness ui bug? WTF apple.

http://paulpetch.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Screen-Shot-2014-11-20-at-12.25.45-pm.png

kyte
20th November 2014, 10:19 AM
Theres a lot more than that. Some people are unable to use TM, finder doesnt work for some, necessitating a hard restart eveyr time instead of the usual... its a nightmare. I was in the beta. And, now its over, I have cloned Yosemite to an external portable drive, and am back on Mavericks in the main internal drive. I'll make the switch when apple takes a few things seriously.

Oldmacs
20th November 2014, 11:22 AM
Mavericks was far worse than this!! lol

Or maybe it was just me. I haven't had anything crash since the upgrade compared to Safari crashing every second day (At least) before the upgrade.

MissionMan
21st November 2014, 12:48 PM
Spend a bit of time on Windows 8, and you'll suddenly realize how good Yosemite is.

The thing that people forget about OSX is that it works 99% of the time, so much so, when something doesn't work its a surprise. Plug in an external, it scales correctly. Do a search with spotlight it works. It doesn't work that way on Windows 8.

Oldmacs
21st November 2014, 01:33 PM
Spend a bit of time on Windows 8, and you'll suddenly realize how good Yosemite is.

The thing that people forget about OSX is that it works 99% of the time, so much so, when something doesn't work its a surprise. Plug in an external, it scales correctly. Do a search with spotlight it works. It doesn't work that way on Windows 8.

I would agree. I have my Macbook with my Windows 8 laptop next to it and I hate windows 8. It just took 2 hours to update, then decided it would fail. So no update was done. Thats never happened to me in 11 years of using OSX. I've had the occasional failed download due to internet issues, but never had it decide to update automatically (even though auto update is off) take FOREVER and then fail right at the end.

tombull
15th December 2014, 11:21 AM
Since Mavericks, I have been surprised that icons for stock apps (such as Calendar, Contacts, Reminders, safari, mail, etc) haven't received cross-platform design unification, especially as all of these apps sync across both the Mac OS and iOS.

For example, I often find myself looking straight past the older-looking Contacts icon in my dock.

Frustratingly, Apple unified the Reminders app icon design in Yosemite, but Contacts and most of the other cross-platform apps (even the iWork suite, which Apple painfully re-made in order to achieve cross-platform-ativity) are all different!

Anyone know why this is/find it as irritating as I do? ;)

tombull
15th December 2014, 11:24 AM
Also, the change (back) of the Sidebar and Share icons in Safari 8 is just annoying - why change that again - after we've just gotten used to it again?

Also also, the fact that the Sidebar icon in Safari on Yosemite is different to the one in iOS 8's Safari is just seemingly pointless!

Oldmacs
15th December 2014, 03:03 PM
This is because OSX has a distinctive feel to iOS which is a good thing. Too much flatness in OSX would be annoying tbh. I actually thought Apple made a good decision to keep icons and designs 'uniquely' like a Mac.