PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro - Discussion

Malakai
25th January 2006, 10:48 AM
Myself being a PC technician and loving all new gadgets I have been pounding the web and researching the new MacBook and I thought that I would put together a snapshot of the new MacBook Pro.

The 10 biggest hardware features that stand out for me:

1, Intel Core Duo CPU.
2, Dual Channel RAM.
3, 667 MHz front side bus and DDR2 memory.
4, 16-lane PCI Express graphics bus.
5, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics processor with AVIVO. Which will drive the 30" display.
6, Full-scale iSight camera built in.
7, New Express Card/34 slot.
8, MagSafe Connector, magnetic DC plug.
9, Comes with Apple Remote.
10, Should dual boot OSX and Vista (once it’s released).

Missing/Changed hardware features:

1, Dual Layer SuperDrive, currently it's only the single layer drive - Maybe they will include a DL drive in revision two.
2, S-Video port - There is a DVI to S-Video adapter available though.
3, Modem - A optional USB one is available for AU$79.
4, PCMCIA - But not much of a problem once the Express Card/34 devices become more available.
5, Firewire 800 - Probably the worst thing that's missing, maybe there will be an Express Card/34 with a Firewire 800 port on it. It would have been nice to have one built in though.

Battery life is still not specified anywhere, apparently because they are still playing with different batteries and don't know which one will be in the shipped product.

It looks like in the future there will be an upgrade option for a 7200rpm HDD.

New software:

iLife 06 - Some good changes including iWeb. Also Garage Band has a Pod casting studio built in.

There is one thing that I can think of that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, the Sudden motion/Shock sensor. Does anyone know if was carried on to the MacBook from the PowerBook?

The MacBook will probably be the first Apple that I ever own, I really can't order one yet mainly because of no Dual Layer burner, as soon as they start shipping with a Dual Layer drive I'll probably get one.

Please discuss and add anything I have missed.

marc
25th January 2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Malakai@Jan 25 2006, 10:48 AM
Battery life is still not specified anywhere, apparently because they are still playing with different batteries and don't know which one will be in the shipped product.
I think it was mentioned in the keynote that it'd have "the same" battery life as the PBs. Who knows if it'll actually be like that when shipping.

mechcon
25th January 2006, 11:10 AM
REV AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa *sigh* :(

lambs
25th January 2006, 11:26 AM
The MacBook will probably be the first Apple that I ever own, I really can't order one yet mainly because of no Dual Layer burner, as soon as they start shipping with a Dual Layer drive I'll probably get one.
The lack of DL drive is a glaring omission AFAIC. Apparently Apple wanted to keep the profile of the MacBook down and the thinnest DL drive wouldn't fit. Firewire 800 would also have been very useful, but could live without it. I'm in no hurry so will wait to see what the 'real world' reports are like on the new MacBook's before making the leap.

Malakai
25th January 2006, 11:50 AM
Yes the real world test is yet to come. Which is a very good reason to put my order on hold.

I also wonder if optimisations for all the software including OSX is in the works to make it use the new dual CPU and other goodies to their full potential.

I can imagine a new version of OSX specifically made for the new systems.

El Guardo
25th January 2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Malakai+Jan 25 2006, 10:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Malakai &#064; Jan 25 2006, 10:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>6, Full-scale iSight camera built in.[/b]

There are some significant differences between the old, external iSight camera and the new internal models. Put simply the original has a glass element, offers autofocus and inbuilt stereo sound recording, and relies upon a FireWire connection. The integrated iSight has a plastic element, no autofocus and uses a slower USB connection. What effect this has on the quality of the picture and sound remains unclear.

10, Should dual boot OSX and Vista (once itís released).

I disagree. Dual booting is great from a practical standpoint but I expect it would require dual hard drives (due to the different formats each OS requires), thus increasing the size and weight of the computer as well as reducing battery life. And I wouldn&#39;t want my virus susceptible Windows drive to contract something that results in all hard drives being formatted.

5, Firewire 800 - Probably the worst thing that&#39;s missing, maybe there will be an Express Card/34 with a Firewire 800 port on it. It would have been nice to have one built in though.

There has already been an announcement for an Express Card that offers dual Firewire 800 ports with full throughput. Hence with such a card you could conceivably utilise two external dirves concurrently - perfect for RAID and video editing. So dropping an inbuilt Firewire 800 port for a more expandable mechanism with more than double the throughput was not such a bad move...

<!--QuoteBegin-Malakai@Jan 25 2006, 10:48 AM
There is one thing that I can think of that doesn&#39;t seem to be mentioned anywhere, the Sudden motion/Shock sensor. Does anyone know if was carried on to the MacBook from the PowerBook?[/quote]

Yes, it has been carried on. And you can now get a widget that uses these motion sensor technologies to turn your MacBook Pro into a plumb bob...

beamso
25th January 2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by El Guardo@Jan 25 2006, 12:54 PM
I disagree. Dual booting is great from a practical standpoint but I expect it would require dual hard drives (due to the different formats each OS requires), thus increasing the size and weight of the computer as well as reducing battery life. And I wouldn&#39;t want my virus susceptible Windows drive to contract something that results in all hard drives being formatted.
Dual booting has never required multiple hard drives. Just multiple partitions on the same drive.

Devski
25th January 2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by El Guardo@Jan 25 2006, 11:54 AM
Partitions on the same drive can be formatted differently so that one can have Fat32/NTFS and the other HFS+. This is a complete non-issue and is the most basic part of a dual operating system.

People have been installing Linux and Windows or Mac OS on the same hard disk for years. The same way it is possible to have an NTFS Windows 2000 and a Fat32 Windows XP on the same disk.

Complete non-issue.

lambs
25th January 2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by El Guardo@Jan 25 2006, 11:54 AM
There has already been an announcement for an Express Card that offers dual Firewire 800 ports with full throughput. Hence with such a card you could conceivably utilise two external dirves concurrently - perfect for RAID and video editing. So dropping an inbuilt Firewire 800 port for a more expandable mechanism with more than double the throughput was not such a bad move...

I have 3 external FW800 drives - which fortunately also have FW400 - but I don&#39;t want to have to go out and buy another card esp when FW800 is a &#39;standard&#39; feature of G4 PowerBooks.

I would gladly give up iSight for FW800 any day. iSight is an unnecessary gimick AFAIC (you obviously will think differently, and that&#39;s fine with me :))

gizo
25th January 2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by lambs@Jan 25 2006, 12:29 PM
...I don&#39;t want to have to go out and buy another card esp when FW800 is a &#39;standard&#39; feature of G4 PowerBooks....
buy a G4 pBook then...?

lambs
25th January 2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by gringo@Jan 25 2006, 12:35 PM
buy a G4 pBook then...?
I have.....

Edit: I should add that I&#39;m in the fortunate position where I can &#39;upgrade&#39; pretty much when I like. At the moment, all things considered, the MacBook Pro is actually a backward step in a number of areas of importance to me.

beamso
25th January 2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Malakai@Jan 25 2006, 11:48 AM

1, Dual Layer SuperDrive, currently it&#39;s only the single layer drive - Maybe they will include a DL drive in revision two.
2, S-Video port - There is a DVI to S-Video adapter available though.
3, Modem - A optional USB one is available for AU&#036;79.
4, PCMCIA - But not much of a problem once the Express Card/34 devices become more available.
5, Firewire 800 - Probably the worst thing that&#39;s missing, maybe there will be an Express Card/34 with a Firewire 800 port on it. It would have been nice to have one built in though.

I&#39;m disappointed that the modem, FW800 has gone missing, but it won&#39;t stop me from getting one.
I&#39;m disappointed that the s-video has gone missing too, as I&#39;ll be daisychaining connections to put video from a MacBook Pro to my TV.

It looks like in the future there will be an upgrade option for a 7200rpm HDD.

That option is there on BTO models now.

El Guardo
25th January 2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by lambs@Jan 25 2006, 12:29 PM
I would gladly give up iSight for FW800 any day. iSight is an unnecessary gimick AFAIC (you obviously will think differently, and that&#39;s fine with me :))
Actually I agree with you. I do have an iSight and use it regularly but I don&#39;t believe it needs to be integrated - especially when, on paper, the inbuilt version is inferior. I&#39;d much rather a second inbuilt FW800 port if it were possible. Hence the reason why I&#39;m more than happy to keep using my 17" Powerbook - like you say, the MacBook Pro is somewhat of a backwards step in a number of areas that are important to me...

And many thanks to Devski and beamso for the clarification...

MadMuggle
25th January 2006, 04:24 PM
Did I read correctly that the MacBook Pro has no internal modem?&#33; Huh? So it&#39;s basically useless if that&#39;s right. :blink: And in a computer of that price... <_<

titan44
25th January 2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by MadMuggle@Jan 25 2006, 04:24 PM
Did I read correctly that the MacBook Pro has no internal modem?&#33; Huh? So it&#39;s basically useless if that&#39;s right.
I don&#39;t think i&#39;d go that far.

The external Apple USB modem should work.

f1_power
25th January 2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by MadMuggle@Jan 25 2006, 04:24 PM
Did I read correctly that the MacBook Pro has no internal modem?&#33; Huh? So it&#39;s basically useless if that&#39;s right. :blink: And in a computer of that price... <_<
With current technologies progressing fast such as WiFi and higher speed internet such as ADSL, ADSL2+, it&#39;s debateable whether modems will be in any computers or laptops soon (Already the case with iMac G5 and iMac Core Duo).

Plus the option is there for people who still need the modem to purchase the USB modem.

On other notes - this product is 2 steps Forward, 1 Step Back - Great to see the increased Performance and new Features. However no DL Burner or FW800 in a Pro Model is dissapointing.

Rev B anyone?

africarney
26th January 2006, 12:38 AM
Any thoughts on why there is no 12" MacBook offered? Do you think they&#39;ll be releasing one later on? Maybe I should just get a PowerBook 12".... Do you expect the PowerBook prices&#39;ll drop now? Thanks&#33;

Malakai
26th January 2006, 04:59 PM
I wonder if the locking mechanism for holding the screen closed been revised or changed, I heard that they were problematic with the G4&#39;s?

Malakai
13th February 2006, 07:03 PM
It seems nobody has got one yet. Surprise, surprise surprise. I wish they could hurry up so that all the problems get addressed sooner and the RevB comes out, so I can buy one. B)

El Guardo
13th February 2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by f1_power@Jan 25 2006, 05:39 PM
However no DL Burner or FW800 in a Pro Model is dissapointing. Rev B anyone?
I imagine said shortcomings will be addressed with the 17" / 20" MacBook Pro.

Rayd
13th February 2006, 08:09 PM
dont foget the fiber optic keyboard, and that it is REALLLY THIN&#33; :D (ive seen it in real life and i can say it is about half the thickness of my iBook 12"...

Starscream
13th February 2006, 08:13 PM
I love thin keyboards :D

Malakai
13th February 2006, 08:33 PM
20" MacBook Pro... that&#39;s ridiculous, and imagine the cost. Surely it could only be a desktop replacement, but is there really a market for that purpose what with the iMac being so compact.

Hmmm.

salamagd
13th February 2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Malakai@Feb 13 2006, 08:33 PM
20" MacBook Pro... that&#39;s ridiculous, and imagine the cost.
Yes, I highly doubt this would ever become a reality.

Martyb
13th February 2006, 08:59 PM
I was one of the first in line for the 17" powerbook three years ago. by my reckoning it is time for a new one. A month ago I was hanging out for the upgrade. After loading ilife 6 the old powerbook runs iphoto so much better, that I am prepared to wait and see what happens with Rev B or even a 17" macbook pro

Quamen
13th February 2006, 09:06 PM
I want my 13" widescreen macbook pro already&#33;

Devski
13th February 2006, 09:29 PM
Hypothesis: Don&#39;t expect to see a new 12" or 17" MacBook Pro until Q3

Point 1: The transition to Intel processors definitely has it&#39;s advantages in portables with Intel&#39;s low power consumption chips.
Point 2: The Yonah is the same old Pentium M, except in a Dual core version, consuming only a little less than it&#39;s predecessor (around 20-25 watts - but with alot more grunt)
Point 3: The Merom is the &#39;new architecture&#39; replacement for Yonah which is a portable dual core 64-bit chip with really really low power consumption (around 5-10 watts)
Point 4: Power consumption figures for the MacBook pro are still M.I.A.
Point 5: The transition to Intel Macs was supposed to begin in Q3 2006
Point 6: The Merom will be launched in Q3 2006
Point 7: The industrial design of the PowerBook was well overdue for a refresh
Point 8: The 15" MacBook Pro is really just a couple of tweaks to the existing design
Point 9: The 15" PowerBook was the highest selling of the PowerBook range
Point 10: If you needed to get a Mac Intel Notebook out on the shelves 6 months early - what would you do?

Conclusion: The 15" MacBook Pro is probably a stop gap (prevent your sales from going to the dogs) measure that will be replaced by an entirely new range of MacBook Pro&#39;s in Q3, in a new industrial design, utilising the Merom processor. It&#39;s a worthwhile measure because it&#39;s a very popular model. It&#39;s probably not worthwhile diverting a whole bunch of resources from future funky product development into re-developing &#39;stop-gap&#39; versions of lower selling 12" and 17" models, so don&#39;t bank on them arriving soon.

Fact: Despite all this I hocked my 17" PowerBook 1.67 on eBay and ordered a 15" MacBook Pro

macman
13th February 2006, 10:26 PM
Im another one who is disappointed that they have dropped the FW800. I specifically bought it for backups and its speed and within 18 months, its not supported going forward (I know, welcome to the world of computers).

Does anyone know what the Express Card for FW800 support will cost?

spargo
13th February 2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Malakai@Jan 26 2006, 06:59 AM
I wonder if the locking mechanism for holding the screen closed been revised or changed, I heard that they were problematic with the G4&#39;s?
It is different to the previous model, however I don&#39;t think it could be considered new technology.

I read somewhere that it is now a two latch mechanism, simply borrowed from the existing 17" model which has this setup to deal with the larger lid.

So, in a way, better.

mk1990
14th February 2006, 04:42 PM
yea, if not, its not worth buying, these days, no net, no use

salamagd
14th February 2006, 11:53 PM
OK, so we&#39;ve had the CPU clock speeds updated now, have we? 1.67 to 1.83 and 1.83 to 2.0 or 2.16GHz? :o

salamagd
14th February 2006, 11:57 PM
Macbook Pro Now Shipping (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/feb/14macbookpro.html)

gerryicle
15th February 2006, 12:22 AM
One of those rare cases where a product gets an upgrade before it even ships :)

jboles
15th February 2006, 12:24 AM
I ordered a 1.67.... I suppose this means I&#39;ll get a 1.83 instead?

marc
15th February 2006, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by jboles@Feb 15 2006, 12:24 AM
I ordered a 1.67.... I suppose this means I&#39;ll get a 1.83 instead?
Looks that way&#33; Great news.

invisible
15th February 2006, 07:51 AM
kinda odd that the intel imac is only 2.0ghz, with no upgrade option. but the macbook can hit 2.16ghz...
watch this space i guess.

Thom
15th February 2006, 08:18 AM
The email from apple has just made my day&#33;

Add in the free 1gig Nano you can get if you&#39;re covered by the Edu discount and it&#39;s an awesome deal&#33;

Thom
15th February 2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by invisible@Feb 15 2006, 07:51 AM
kinda odd that the intel imac is only 2.0ghz, with no upgrade option. but the macbook can hit 2.16ghz...
watch this space i guess.
Sorry for the double post&#33;

This is how it should be. There should be two lines: the Pro and &#39;i&#39; line (or just &#39;mac&#39; line now?). The high end laptops should be at least on a par with the iMac.

scruffie
15th February 2006, 08:26 AM
Yay&#33; I&#39;m putting my order now :)

the_OM
15th February 2006, 08:49 AM
This pretty awesome that they are adding faster spec&#39;d machines already....... maybe, just maybe, the dark days of major chip shortages from motorola and ibm might just be over&#33;

jboles
15th February 2006, 09:29 AM
Faster processor for free... now that rocks ;)

The big 2.0 is tempting me to upgrade my ex-1.67 order .... :)

jboles
15th February 2006, 09:32 AM
Damn... checked my order status. It&#39;s been upgraded but I now have to wait an extra week... :(

soporificfrog
15th February 2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by jboles@Feb 15 2006, 09:32 AM
Damn... checked my order status. It&#39;s been upgraded but I now have to wait an extra week... :(
I&#39;m totally feeling that. My ex-1.67 was meant to ship out today (ordered same day as keynote) and now it won&#39;t be out till the 28th&#33;&#33; I sold my old laptop so now I&#39;m dying in a hellish firestorm of being stuck at my desk&#33; I think I&#39;d rather just have the old config if it shipped today :(

ialienam
15th February 2006, 09:32 PM
I guess it means MBP wasn&#39;t doing as great as Apple expected..

Try to boost the sales, anyway it&#39;s great for consumers^^

SRG
15th February 2006, 10:06 PM
Not sure it means they wern&#39;t going well more suspect they were unsure when the 2+ would be ready from Intel. They were pretty much commited to announcing them at MacWorld so better to under promise and over deliver than announce 2+ and then not be able to meet all the orders.

As the-OM said looks like the chip back log of the past is over and Intel look way more responsive all ready.

Now just need a 12" to be released :thumbup:

ialienam
15th February 2006, 10:25 PM
I was just wondering what new features MBP will add in next rev.

Will all the PB features come back to next MBP? (or is it possible to add more features with existing size?)?

I would love to see S video back as I can connect my laptop with a TV..

Otherwise, dual layer and Firewire 800 are no use to me (butwould love to have them anyway~^^)

Have you guys read the comparison between new MBP and Dell on MacWorld?

samuelowens
16th February 2006, 07:36 AM
Errrr... S-Video will be available on the MBP via an adaptor...

Applecider
16th February 2006, 09:42 AM
This is my first post and unfortunately still a windows user, but the timing for me to pick up a Mac looks good.

Bit confused with all this talk on the MacBook against the Powerbook. I don&#39;t do a lot of graphic interfacing, download a ton of photos, use office, browse and update my ipod is about all i do.

Do I need a MacBook or should I wait for the Powerbooks to have runout sales (if they ever do). Apple are very clever in offering the MACBook at Powerbook prices. Finally to confuse you all am i better off with the ibook?

Must admit am a bit hesitant to fork out big bucks on brand new technology and like a few of you, wish they had a 12" MacBook.

entropy
16th February 2006, 02:00 PM
Razor (http://blogs.smh.com.au/razor/) has a post today commenting on how the original apple announcement mistakenly quoted a price of &#036;2999 for the macbook, only to later correct to &#036;3999.
Some commenters make the point of comparing to the windows equivalents, which are around &#036;3400, and Razor makes the point that the US price in AUD is similar to the windows books.

The price difference would pay for half the airfare to the US to pick one up&#33; I guess it will make it a cheap holiday. Sure, allow some margin for exchange rate fluctuations, but that is a joke.

forgie
16th February 2006, 02:25 PM
And I read something on AppleInsider last night about global warranties from Apple now? So could you buy your MBP in the US then expect full warranty/service in Australia?

entropy
16th February 2006, 04:14 PM
Always has been the case with portables. Apple OZ has to cvover them, unlike desktops.
Which makes it even weirder that the laptops have such big markups compared with that of desktop machines (well, imacs).

samuelowens
16th February 2006, 05:02 PM
When GST is taken out, the Australian markup on the &#036;3999 MBP is &#036;260, while that on the iMac 17" is &#036;60.

The Razor column neglected to include my comments on the Age&#39;s version of the blog (http://blogs.theage.com.au/razor/archives/apple/001752.html).