PDA

View Full Version : Apple Watch

SRG
10th September 2014, 09:16 AM
Well it has a nice shiny new page Apple - Apple Watch (http://www.apple.com/au/watch/) and we got a few details from the event last night.

So what do you all think?

I liked the look and the ability to change faces and straps to suit your mood or environment.

Needless to say given my article the other day, bit staggered at the sheer number of choices with it. Two Sizes, 3 styles and then combinations within those styles.

Interface looked quite good and very well thought out.

Lack of battery details or entry level price stuck out. Suggests they are still refining it before launch I suspect.

Thought the mag safe charging was very nice, though still another cord to have plugged in and depending on battery life maybe a spare for work.

b00
10th September 2014, 09:45 AM
Very interested in the Apple Watch. Love the look of it, and from initial reports and pictures looks to be a very polished item. After having a go play Samsungs alternatives I'm pretty much sold on this.

Can't wait for the release. More excited about this than the iPhone 6. Haha

hangdog
10th September 2014, 09:49 AM
Given the apparently poor battery life, I would've loved the Digital Crown on the Apple Watch to be designed to wind up an internal generator to charge its battery. Too many negatives, I guess. But the retro-ness would have been cool.

kerr
10th September 2014, 10:18 AM
Given the apparently poor battery life

which has been reported where?

Geoff3DMN
10th September 2014, 10:25 AM
I still wear a watch on occasion and smart watches are something I've been looking at for a while but most of them are difficult to use and lack functionality and any sort of style.

Apple seem to have produced a good looking smart swatch but I want to have a hands on before I commit to buying one.

Tentatively interested...

hangdog
10th September 2014, 10:41 AM

It's only speculation at this stage, but if battery life was more than a few days, Apple surely would have said something about it. I'd be satisfied with a week.

Apple Watch's battery life is a mystery and that's a problem | The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/9/6127785/apple-watch-battery-life-mystery)

kurisu
10th September 2014, 10:45 AM

Guess it's by educated deduction.

When it can detect activities from standing to cardiac, it should have all metrics needed for sleep analysis. But if you were using it at night then you're probably out of charge the morning after.

Don't you think if the battery lasts days that Apple wouldn't mention this function and mock its' superior battery life than competitors?

SilverJ
10th September 2014, 11:48 AM
Did anyone notice if the watch face is always illuminated?
Sometimes it looked like it turned off and had a sensor to gauge when you were looking at it.
That would save power but sacrifice the functionality of it being a quick glance at your wrist, like an analogue wristwatch.
Given how easy it looks to charge and the fact that I have to charge my iPhone in the early evening each day, I'd say charging it while you sleep isn't a big inconvenience. I don't wear a watch when I sleep anyway.

b00
10th September 2014, 11:49 AM
Did anyone notice if the watch face is always illuminated?
Sometimes it looked like it turned off and had a sensor to gauge when you were looking at it.
That would save power but sacrifice the functionality of it being a quick glance at your wrist, like an analogue wristwatch.
Given how easy it looks to charge and the fact that I have to charge my iPhone in the early evening each day, I'd say charging it while you sleep isn't a big inconvenience. I don't wear a watch when I sleep anyway.

I thought it illuminated when you raised your wrist?

kerr
10th September 2014, 11:54 AM
Guess it's by educated deduction.

I don't think battery life will be markedly different to that of competitors.

woofy
10th September 2014, 11:57 AM
The beauty of Pebble was the longer battery life. I still find there are days where I look at mine and its dead flat. The unique charger cable they use are a pain if you don't carry it with you. Charging every night for an iWatch would get annoying and is what killed the previous watches. Really at the end of the day, a bigger phone or better res screen wouldn't be as attractive as better battery life on everything, iPhone included. I'm over nightly charging and when on work trips my phone will more often than not be flat by 5pm so when flying home I've had a dead phone a lot lately at the airport.

I've always worn a watch as I have a lot of meetings. The Pebble has been great this year keeping me on track when going from one meeting to another as it discreetly lets me know. I really want a metal watch again and didn't want to fork out for the metal Pebble with the iwatch looming on the horizon.

kyte
10th September 2014, 12:58 PM
The watch looks interesting, but I doubt I would have any use for it, for the things I do (or don't do). Battery life wasn't mentioned during the presentation, that I noticed... perhaps it hasn't been truly sorted out yet.

Oldmacs
10th September 2014, 01:08 PM
Not keen on having a wireless device against my skin at all times, till they prove that there is no cancer risk.

grorr76
10th September 2014, 01:15 PM
Not keen on having a wireless device against my skin at all times, till they prove that there is no cancer risk.

One could say the same thing about having a iPhone to your ear or eating food from a microwave.

kerr
10th September 2014, 01:28 PM

I'm getting a sense that you're a bit of a worrywart

Oldmacs
10th September 2014, 01:42 PM
One could say the same thing about having a iPhone to your ear or eating food from a microwave.

WHO hasn't been able to determine if phones are causing cancer or not, thus i avoid using my iPhone holding it to my ear - i use earbuds. I doubt that mobile phone usage will/has led to massive increases in cancers, even if there is a mild risk, I'd rather not risk it.

kerr
10th September 2014, 01:45 PM
Who has proven that God exists?

We are all free to believe what we want to believe, worry about what we want to worry about.

Oldmacs
10th September 2014, 02:11 PM
Who has proven that God exists?

We are all free to believe what we want to believe, worry about what we want to worry about.

I think everyone is probably laughing at me now... I just don't like the risk here, and there is science to back me up :/

kerr
10th September 2014, 02:13 PM
About God? :)

Oldmacs
10th September 2014, 02:15 PM
About God? :)

No about Cancer :P

kerr
10th September 2014, 03:36 PM
Apple failed to say that the Watch WILL work for left handers

Only difference is the crown will be below the button.

Where’s our left-handed Apple Watch? [Update] - SlashGear (http://www.slashgear.com/wheres-our-left-handed-apple-watch-09345501/)

Well done Apple. Just should have mentioned it at the Keynote.

Back2Bedlam
10th September 2014, 03:43 PM
Well done Apple. Just should have mentioned it at the Keynote.

Why! They don't say that for any other products, and if you buy a watch that has a crown dial, just like on my Tag, it's on the right, nothing you can do about it, it's just the way it is.

carlow1
10th September 2014, 05:23 PM
I've always worn a watch and have been wearing a $5 watch for the past year waiting to see what the so called iWatch would be like. I'd like one purely for the fitness side of things. The notifications don't really bother me.

On the cancer risk, it seems 1 in every 3 people get some kind of cancer these days. I'm not going to avoid enoying life to reduce my risk. There is a good chance I could get some kind of cancer in the future anyway.

Oldmacs
10th September 2014, 05:56 PM
And perhaps increased wireless technology is leading to it?

If I wasn't concerned about that I'd be out to buy one quick smart ( when they're released)

kerr
10th September 2014, 05:56 PM
No about Cancer :P

Are you also a vegan non-smoking teetotaller that eats mainly raw food and avoids all processed food?

entropy
10th September 2014, 06:50 PM
People that eat like that may not live all that longer in reality, it just seems like it.

Oldmacs
10th September 2014, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=kerr;1211469]Are you also a vegan non-smoking teetotaller that eats mainly raw food and avoids all processed food?[/QUOTE

Not a vegan, but kind of keep an eye on processed meats like ham for possible cancer links. I would never smoke. I recognise that almost everything reportedly gives you cancer, however I'm not convinced that we've heard the end of the cellphone radiation cancer research just yet.

TimboC
10th September 2014, 07:13 PM
The scientific evidence is ambiguous, at best. Much greater risk of skin cancers in Australia...much greater!

Oldmacs
10th September 2014, 08:19 PM
The scientific evidence is ambiguous, at best. Much greater risk of skin cancers in Australia...much greater!

Oh I know, and I'm one for taking care of my skin.

I just see it as an added unnecessary risk until the science is sorted out.

iGOOSE
10th September 2014, 08:56 PM
The Watch is great if you're right handed...

But if you're left handed, forget it!

You'd be forever obscurring

the display trying to spin

the digital crown...

C'mon Apple

sort it

out!

kurisu
10th September 2014, 09:00 PM
It's legally easier to say they haven't found evidence to show _______ (something at risk) to cause ______ (the risk of your concern) than saying there is no risk.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

SRG
10th September 2014, 09:04 PM
Apple has confirmed the bands are swappable and the interface can be turned around in settings, so there should be little issue for left handlers.

Where’s our left-handed Apple Watch? [Update] - SlashGear (http://www.slashgear.com/wheres-our-left-handed-apple-watch-09345501/)

"Update: So, it turns out the Apple Watch really works TWO ways. Apple tells us on initial setup, you can choose to have the watch face orient itself for use on the right wrist, making it friendly to lefties. The watch bands are also swappable, so your band isn't facing the wrong way. Good news for everyone involved, but like most things in life, Lefties will still have to deal with a right-handed design -- the crown will be on the bottom of the left side of the watch when on the right wrist."

kerr
10th September 2014, 09:39 PM
Given the way iGOOSE typed his post, I think he was trolling.

But that is awesome from Apple.

If we had the choice, I wonder what is a better config, Crown above the button or vice versa?

Back2Bedlam
10th September 2014, 09:55 PM

the digital crown...

C'mon Apple

sort it

out!

Do your homework, it can be turned around...

Back2Bedlam
10th September 2014, 09:56 PM
Apple has confirmed the bands are swappable and the interface can be turned around in settings, so there should be little issue for left handlers.

"Update: So, it turns out the Apple Watch really works TWO ways. Apple tells us on initial setup, you can choose to have the watch face orient itself for use on the right wrist, making it friendly to lefties. The watch bands are also swappable, so your band isn't facing the wrong way. Good news for everyone involved, but like most things in life, Lefties will still have to deal with a right-handed design -- the crown will be on the bottom of the left side of the watch when on the right wrist."

Like every other decent watch out there. C'mon, deal with it... Next you'll all be moaning about the new ferrari that only comes in left hand drive!

kerr
10th September 2014, 10:01 PM
Like every other decent watch out there. C'mon, deal with it... Next you'll all be moaning about the new ferrari that only comes in left hand drive!

you're shitting me? FFS :thumbdn:

Oldmacs
10th September 2014, 11:22 PM
I'm actually really thinking of getting one now, I keep looking at the website and coming close to drooling. It looks so cool and considering I keep my iPhone in my bag most of the time I can see the application.

carlow1
10th September 2014, 11:30 PM
I must be the only left handed person who wears a watch on my left wrist, and use a mouse with my right hand.

kerr
11th September 2014, 12:01 AM
I must be the only left handed person who wears a watch on my left wrist, and use a mouse with my right hand.

left or right?

tennis?
throwing a ball?
kicking a ball?
cricket - batting?
cricket - bowling?

SRG
11th September 2014, 12:06 AM
No I am the same write left handed but wear my watch on my left wrist and use the mouse with my right. So it really doesn't bother me at all the way it is set up by default.

should add I do bowl, throw and kick on my right though (well back when I did those things lol)

carlow1
11th September 2014, 06:50 AM
Same as you SRG. Write, paint left handed. Use mouse, bowl, punch right handed. When I use my iphone for browsing I'm right and talking on my iphone I'm left handed.

kyte
11th September 2014, 07:50 AM
Interesting. I'm right handed and use that for writing, mousing etc, but I am a leftie for phone use whether apps on the phone or talking.

bwolf77
11th September 2014, 08:26 PM
Ill be buying 2 apple watches. Love the look and design. Cannot wait! and how about the different bands that they have made available, talk about customization! scchhhweeeetttt!

bwolf77
11th September 2014, 08:28 PM

the digital crown...

C'mon Apple

sort it

out!

iGOOSE you are a Goose...

bwolf77
11th September 2014, 08:33 PM
In some way, shape, or form, I think Apple would have spent quite a substantial amount of time and resources in testing this out... highly unlikely given all the regulatory procedures that they need to pass

Oldmacs
11th September 2014, 08:35 PM
In some way, shape, or form, I think Apple would have spent quite a substantial amount of time and resources in testing this out... highly unlikely given all the regulatory procedures that they need to pass

There is regulation on the intensity of the radiation these things give off, but no one is quite sure what it means. I doubt any research will get done into it any time soon as it would be damaging for the mobile phone industry.

Have you ever noticed that the iPhone instructions say to operate it away from your body for safety purposes?

Its sad that people aren't giving the Apple Watch a chance. My family has decided its a flop because it only has a days charge... according to a SMH article based on rumour. It seems very fashionable to be an Apple hater these days !

bwolf77
11th September 2014, 08:39 PM
WHO hasn't been able to determine if phones are causing cancer or not, thus i avoid using my iPhone holding it to my ear - i use earbuds. I doubt that mobile phone usage will/has led to massive increases in cancers, even if there is a mild risk, I'd rather not risk it.
The only phones that would have been likely to cause cancer, if not fry your brains out after a 2 min conversation would have been these mammoths...
http://i.imgur.com/oq0u6VL.jpg

bwolf77
11th September 2014, 08:42 PM
Its sad that people aren't giving the Apple Watch a chance. My family has decided its a flop because it only has a days charge... according to a SMH article based on rumour. It seems very fashionable to be an Apple hater these days !
come on now, we can't base battery life expectancy according to a SMH article. Until Apple states how long the battery life is, there is no point in even speculating how long the Apple Watch will last. 3 days, one day, a week? it's all rumour for now...

Oldmacs
11th September 2014, 09:14 PM
come on now, we can't base battery life expectancy according to a SMH article. Until Apple states how long the battery life is, there is no point in even speculating how long the Apple Watch will last. 3 days, one day, a week? it's all rumour for now...

Thats what I said!!!! But noooo apparently because SMH said it, then its real and its going to flop :rolls eyes:

Another more pressing matter is driving distraction.. its going to leed to a lot of distracted drivers!

SRG
11th September 2014, 09:34 PM
Actually as I said in the morning news this morning, it was actually Re/code who reported it based on conversations with Apple sources. Apple did say they expect better by launch day but had a expectation "people would be charging it overnight"

entropy
11th September 2014, 09:39 PM
given that the Apple watch actually has a solution, unlike every other watch out there, this doesn't even qualify as a first world problem. I personally am more devastated at the news there won't be a RHD Ferrari.

Oldmacs
11th September 2014, 09:56 PM
Actually as I said in the morning news this morning, it was actually Re/code who reported it based on conversations with Apple sources. Apple did say they expect better by launch day but had a expectation "people would be charging it overnight"

Well that does bring up a concern. A friend of mine asked whats the point of a wristwatch that you can't take camping or anywhere that the battery won't last when its replacing something as integral as a watch.

TimboC
11th September 2014, 11:00 PM
That's what battery packs are for! In any case, camping trips are what the majority of SUV owners say they bought their vehicle for, and then use them off-road less than 1% of the time....if you understand the logic :)

PCKid
11th September 2014, 11:23 PM
I'm a self confessed Apple Fan Boy but I thought it looked down right ugly. Not a whole lot different to look at than the old iPod Nano with a strap on from a few years back. Round would have been better but wouldn't swap my nice Citizen Chrono which I can wear 24/7 swimming and showering too. If I need what it can do I'm happy to pull out my iPhone. It's not that far to my jeans pocket. Also, not certain obviously, but a quick glance for the time might not activate the screen. I'm sure a couple of generations down the track it will be slimmer, round, better battery, sapphire glass and waterproof. For now will spend my Apple bucks on a shiny new iPhone 6 day one.

drewbles
12th September 2014, 04:47 PM
Why! They don't say that for any other products, and if you buy a watch that has a crown dial, just like on my Tag, it's on the right, nothing you can do about it, it's just the way it is.
Because they are pushing the 'digital crown' for the interface. On a regular watch, you would only use the crown to change the time/date if you travelled, or the battery went flat. The crown on the Apple Watch is going to be a controller. Personally, I agree they should have made it obvious that they'd have a left handed version.

TimboC
12th September 2014, 08:10 PM
There are leftie versions of quite a number of classic watches. I think people are complaining too much about the Apple Watch in this respect. Screen rotation is a pretty obvious feature of most of these devices, especially Apples.

the_doctor
12th September 2014, 11:28 PM
I haven't worn a watch in 15 years and I was always a bit of a naysayers when it can to the iWatch or more to the point I was firmly in the not interested camp but I must say that the keynote and accompanying video about it have swayed me a little. If I find the right band I might just take the plunge.

TimboC
13th September 2014, 05:52 AM
^^ This! I haven't really seen a good smart watch use case until Apple's presentation. Plus there's some beautiful design in the Apple Watch. But I will wait until after release and reviews before I make a decision

kerr
15th September 2014, 01:32 PM
From the KeyNote, it looks like it comes pre-loaded with system apps such as Stocks and Weather.

Hopefully they can be deleted.

SRG
15th September 2014, 01:36 PM
In the Charlie Rose interview I posted In The news, Cook has a working one on. Interestingly he said there were apps on there that hadn't been announced, but you would have to have good eye sight to see what they were.

The Fluffy Duck
15th September 2014, 01:56 PM
To be honest, bit of a major let down. Battery life projected to be about a day? There is a reason samsung attacks apple on battery life.

$349 for a sports watch that is an accelerometer and a heart beat monitor......Thats it! It doesn't do sleep, because the batter is that bad. Doesn't do sweat, or skin heat or anything else! Its a rip off!

My basis health tracker watch, has a four day battery life, has an accelerometer and gyoscope, has a heart beat sensor, has a sweat sensor, and a body heat sensor. Can track your sleep and automatically tells if you are walking, running or cycling without a click of a button. Oh and it also tells the time! And it also costs $200 LESS than the apple watch. A whole $200 less!

Why should I pay $200 more for the entry level model of a watch that does far less? Why pay more for a payment technology that wont work in this country for years to come? The only benefit is so I can feel a bump on my wrist a moment after I feel a buzz in my pocket? Totally worth $200 more....not!

I think Ill wait for the 3rd or 4th generation....maybe.

kerr
15th September 2014, 02:13 PM
To be honest, bit of a major let down. Battery life projected to be about a day? There is a reason samsung attacks apple on battery life.

Can you point me to articles that report that battery life of Android Wear is any better?

Oldmacs
15th September 2014, 02:39 PM
I don't think battery life can be commented on until the production model comes out... who knows what it will be.

I wonder if they considered using any of the bands for extra batteries?

The Fluffy Duck
15th September 2014, 03:47 PM
Can you point me to articles that report that battery life of Android Wear is any better?

Oh and I wouldn't buy that for the same reason. They need more range on the inductive charging, like a meter or so, so you can ware it in bed or at the office and have it charge. Then the day battery life wouldn't be an issue.

The Fluffy Duck
15th September 2014, 04:43 PM
This is why the whole "RADIO WAVES CAUSE CANCER ERRRMAGUUUURD!!!" Thing is total BS! Stand back for a science lesson.

1) Cancer is damage to DNA that repairs itself incorrectly creating a rogue cell, its more complicated than that, but thats the gist. DNA damage occurs when bonds between the neculobases (information bit) are broken. These nucleotides are held together by hydrogen bonds with the average energy of 5 jk/mol. So using avagadros number to get a ball park figure as to energy in a single hydrogen bond that needs to be overcome to break it is 8.30*10^-21 J.

2) Bluetooth a common radio standard operates at 2.4 Ghz. What you may have forgoten is this radiation is actually light, no diffrent than what comes out of well.....er... a light. Using the equation E=h*n Where E is the energy in Joules, h is planks constant (6.626*10^-34) and n is the frequency in hertz, the energy of a single photon is 1.49*10^-24 J.

3) So to break a hydrogen bond in DNA and cause cancer, we need to overcome 8.30*10^21 J, but that bond is taking it like a boss and shrugging of those piss-weak bluetooth photons who can only muster a puny 1.49*10^-24 J.

4) In other words the energy in a bluetooth photon is 0.019 % as strong as required to break even the weakest of bonds in DNA. Now this is a back of the envelope equation but it should give you some idea why......

5) Cancer from radio waves, is up way up there with such ideas as wind farms giving people headaches, and aliens flying halfway across the galaxy to probe red-necks bottoms.

Oldmacs
15th September 2014, 04:53 PM
WHO have proven that usage of mobile phones leads to heating and that heating may be doing the damage.

Considering WHO haven't made their minds up on the issue, its not up there with wind farms and aliens flying....

Geoff3DMN
15th September 2014, 05:01 PM
5) Cancer from radio waves, is up way up there with such ideas as wind farms giving people headaches, and aliens flying halfway across the galaxy to probe red-necks bottoms.

Whilst it's true that Cancer from radio waves is simply not true it's also not true to say that radio waves are totally risk free, there are a variety of tissue damage issues that can occur at medium levels of RF exposure (ignoring for the moment direct RF burns which can and do happen with high levels of RF power).

For example at home I have (amongst other radios) a 144-148MHz radio with an output of 100 watts fed into a yagi antenna with a gain of approx 10db.

That's over a kilowatt of RF if you're standing in front of it and it would exceed RF safety limits for distances of up to 10 metres.

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/pubs/rps/rps3.pdf

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/pubs/rps/rps3_errata.pdf

The Fluffy Duck
15th September 2014, 05:21 PM
WHO have proven that usage of mobile phones leads to heating and that heating may be doing the damage.

*facepalm*

As a confession to physics, all things transfer heat. In this case all 1.49*10-24 J of it. A fly landing on me would transfer more heat....... that sounds fun.

Lets take a blow fly around ~50 mg which is 5.0*10^5 kg traveling at its top speed of 7.2 km/hr or 0.272 m/s. Using the equation E=1/2*m*v^2 where E is the kinetic energy in joules. m is the mass in kg and v is the velocity in m/s. And assuming a perfect system with 100% of the energy of this blow fly colission is converted to heat. A blow fly will impart 1.9*10^-6 J of heat into my skin.....giving me cancer :P

Heat alone dose not cause cancer. Its DNA damage.

Sorry but I actually read and understood that article, it says time after time that there is no evidence that EM in the ranges used by consumer devices causes cancer. If everything was bumped up to UV light, then yes, there would be enough energy to damage cells and cause cancer.......and the battery life of said devices would be as bad as samsung makes out it is :P But the SAME science that explains why UV light causes cancer ALSO tells us we don't get cancer from low energy devices.

edit: Clarification

The Fluffy Duck
15th September 2014, 05:28 PM
Whilst it's true that Cancer from radio waves is simply not true it's also not true to say that radio waves are totally risk free, there are a variety of tissue damage issues that can occur at medium levels of RF exposure (ignoring for the moment direct RF burns which can and do happen with high levels of RF power).

For example at home I have (amongst other radios) a 144-148MHz radio with an output of 100 watts fed into a yagi antenna with a gain of approx 10db.

That's over a kilowatt of RF if you're standing in front of it and it would exceed RF safety limits for distances of up to 10 metres.

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/pubs/rps/rps3.pdf

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/pubs/rps/rps3_errata.pdf

Yes you are right, heat damage is of course a problem. Perhaps I should say "from consumer electronics" is a better analogy. Heat damage from EM, is way different that DNA damage (ie cancer). If it was then standing infront of a radiator (inferred light) should be lining up the cancer wards. But they are not.

What I was trying to demonstrate to our friend, is that the same science that tells us why UV light causes cancer also tells us why we don't get damage from consumer electronics.

Oldmacs
15th September 2014, 05:50 PM
*facepalm*

As a confession to physics, all things transfer heat. In this case all 1.49*10-24 J of it. A fly landing on me would transfer more heat....... that sounds fun.

Lets take a blow fly around ~50 mg which is 5.0*10^5 kg traveling at its top speed of 7.2 km/hr or 0.272 m/s. Using the equation E=1/2*m*v^2 where E is the kinetic energy in joules. m is the mass in kg and v is the velocity in m/s. And assuming a perfect system with 100% of the energy of this blow fly colission is converted to heat. A blow fly will impart 1.9*10^-6 J of heat into my skin.....giving me cancer :P

Heat alone dose not cause cancer. Its DNA damage.

Sorry but I actually read and understood that article, it says time after time that there is no evidence that EM in the ranges used by consumer devices causes cancer. If everything was bumped up to UV light, then yes, there would be enough energy to damage cells and cause cancer.......and the battery life of said devices would be as bad as samsung makes out it is :P But the SAME science that explains why UV light causes cancer ALSO tells us we don't get cancer from low energy devices.

edit: Clarification

Until the WHO can prove heating of the brain from mobile phone usage CAN DEFINITELY NOT cause damage, then I will continue to be wary.

Based largely on these data, IARC has classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B), a category used when a causal association is considered credible, but when chance, bias or confounding cannot be ruled out with reasonable confidence.

The Fluffy Duck
15th September 2014, 06:03 PM
Until the WHO can prove heating of the brain from mobile phone usage CAN DEFINITELY NOT cause damage, then I will continue to be wary.

Based largely on these data, IARC has classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B), a category used when a causal association is considered credible, but when chance, bias or confounding cannot be ruled out with reasonable confidence.

Ooooh "Definite" is such a touchy word for science. I am guessing you are also applying this "definite" clause to other aspects of your life like driving, flying in planes, headache tablets, eating vegetables grown in the ground etc. And my favourite; Breathing a corrosive, oxidising, explosive gas called oxygen just to survive. Oxygen does more damage to your DNA than a mobile phone or an Apple watcher ever will!

Be reasonable.

Oldmacs
15th September 2014, 06:44 PM
Ooooh "Definite" is such a touchy word for science. I am guessing you are also applying this "definite" clause to other aspects of your life like driving, flying in planes, headache tablets, eating vegetables grown in the ground etc. And my favourite; Breathing a corrosive, oxidising, explosive gas called oxygen just to survive. Oxygen does more damage to your DNA than a mobile phone or an Apple watcher ever will!

Be reasonable.

God, its like insulted you personally or something...

I guess definite is a stupid word to use.. nothing can really be proved definitely. I guess I see it as a possible risk and one that doesn't mean going out of my way to prevent possible ill effects. Its not hurting me or anyone else to do so.

TimboC
15th September 2014, 07:48 PM
The point is that with all the uninformed scares about RF and EM radiation, people overreact relative to the other health risk factors they encounter every day. Be alert, not alarmed!

Now, back to the Apple Watch...

kerr
15th September 2014, 07:53 PM
Is anyone paying attention around here?

http://www.mactalk.com.au/9/118333-forum-ios-stuff-apple-watch.html

kyte
22nd September 2014, 07:08 PM
My basis health tracker watch, has a four day battery life, has an accelerometer and gyoscope, has a heart beat sensor, has a sweat sensor, and a body heat sensor. Can track your sleep and automatically tells if you are walking, running or cycling without a click of a button. Oh and it also tells the time!

Fluffy, which watch? I'm using fitbit flex to track my sleep but it doesnt tell me the time... and if I have to wear something on my wrist, I really wouldnt mind if it did that.

kerr
22nd September 2014, 09:48 PM
I'm not convinced at this stage that an Apple Watch will be a better investment than a Polar HRM.

kyte
23rd September 2014, 07:04 AM
I'm convinced it wont be. Well.. Polar whatever or anything. I'm afraid with the premium its going to cost, plus battery issues, its just not even on my radar. Its a product for dedicated fans with money to burn. Seems to me that Apple has completely lost interest in Joe Average. The share price and future success of the company will depend on them regaining that. Steve Jobs brought them back last time... that option is no longer available to them. They need to wake up

kerr
23rd September 2014, 07:22 AM
They need to wake up
Pretty sure the Apple Watch has an alarm function :)

TimboC
23rd September 2014, 08:42 AM
It's too early to judge. Part of me is negative -- I can't really see the use-case; but the other part is positive -- Apple does have an uncanny ability to create delight about a previously, fairly boring product. Battery life remains to be seen, but I suspect as long as it is >20hrs, it will not be the barrier many predict.

james the 2nd
23rd September 2014, 09:05 AM
I was out having lunch with some friends that I hadn't seen for a while two days after the 'watch' keynote and my friends kept pulling out their phone and checking it to the point of distraction.. it was then that it struck me how less distracting to our lunch it would be if one could just glance at their wrist rather than pull out their phone.

I left there thinking I could see the benefit of the apple watch in a social lunch setting or in a meeting environment.

I'm looking forward to trying it out for a few weeks and seeing how it fits into daily life.

kyte
23rd September 2014, 10:25 AM
See thats the thing... it will make checking stuff anytime easier. But, I dispute that it *should* be easier. There is nothing more annoying to me when I am lunching or dining with someone than that they check and respond to messages and emails. Lunch is lunch and other interruptions should be ignored. I actually terminated one friendship because I was apparently far less important than the need to immediately respond to phone or message. A watch with that capacity is not going to make it easier, except for the person receiving. People like me will just get pissed off.

Instead of checking phone, there will be constant looking at and playing with watches. "Bored with the company? Feel free to leave. And please. Dont come back". Honestly... what happened to just being with the people you're with...

kerr
23rd September 2014, 01:00 PM
We need Apple Glasses so that people won't be constantly looking at their phone or watch, but rather at an intermediate distance between you and them.

james the 2nd
23rd September 2014, 01:31 PM
We need Apple Glasses so that people won't be constantly looking at their phone or watch, but rather at an intermediate distance between you and them.

lol...Yes!

VALANDI
21st November 2014, 10:32 AM
haha brilliant!!!

changa
6th April 2015, 08:14 AM
OK - The Apple Watch pre-order period is pretty imminent now (and I am surprised that MacTalk has not had a lot of discussion about the Apple Watch).

Are there many MacTalkers out there buying one? Am I in the minority in wanting one?

I was definitely not in the Apple Watch camp when it was first announced, but it has grown on me I changed to the 'I will definitely be pre-ordering camp'.

Anyway, just trying to ignite some discussion and excitement to the thread.

james the 2nd
6th April 2015, 09:04 AM
OK - The Apple Watch pre-order period is pretty imminent now (and I am surprised that MacTalk has not had a lot of discussion about the Apple Watch).

Are there many MacTalkers out there buying one? Am I in the minority in wanting one?

I was definitely not in the Apple Watch camp when it was first announced, but it has grown on me I changed to the 'I will definitely be pre-ordering camp'.

Anyway, just trying to ignite some discussion and excitement to the thread.

I'm in Changa. Considering the sport, white 42mm. I have never preordered before. What's the best plan off attack here for those experienced in the pre ordering game?

Also, should I do instore pickup or delivery?

I'm ok with instore pickup if it means I can go get it early in the day. Not happy with instore if it means that I will be forced to wait some time in store to collect. Is it generally a quick transaction for instore pickup?

changa
6th April 2015, 09:20 AM
I'm in Changa. Considering the sport, white 42mm. I have never preordered before. What's the best plan off attack here for those experienced in the pre ordering game?

Also, should I do instore pickup or delivery?

I'm ok with instore pickup if it means I can go get it early in the day. Not happy with instore if it means that I will be forced to wait some time in store to collect. Is it generally a quick transaction for instore pickup?

I have pre-ordered most of my Apple products and have found that the website is very slow (it's a constant re-fresh the browser battle). The best bet lately has been to pre-order using the Apple Store App on your iPhone or iPad. For some reason it seems to work more effectively. Having said that, I usually have my Mac, iPhone and iPad all refreshing at the same time and just waiting to see which one gets connected to the store first.

Delivery is easier (assuming you are going to be home or have someone who can sign for you), but you might not get it first thing in the morning. There have been times when my pre-order arrived early in the morning, but other times when it was very late in the evening before it arrives. If you want to start playing with it right away in store pickup is good (but there is often a wait to get your item).

I have only ordered for in store pickup once, and it went pretty smoothly. There was about a 30 minute wait so not too painful and it was fun watching the store hype as well.

I'm going to get the Stainless Steel 42mm with a link band. I have always had all stainless steel watches so the Apple Watch will be no different.

I also pre-ordered this stand/dock for the Apple Watch too. Stand for Apple Watch (http://www.hellonomad.com/products/stand-for-apple-watch)

james the 2nd
6th April 2015, 10:18 AM
All great info! Thanks Changa.

The stand looks fantastic. Good find :)

mick132
6th April 2015, 05:32 PM
Mashable are reporting that the Apple Watch has been blocked in Switzerland over a patent issue: Apple Watch reportedly blocked in Switzerland over patent, for now (http://mashable.com/2015/04/05/apple-watch-blocked-in-switzerland)

james the 2nd
6th April 2015, 06:24 PM
On the pre orders.

I am undecided between stainless and sports. Can I preorder both and then cancel one of them once I have tried them out instore?

carlow1
6th April 2015, 07:11 PM
I spoke with staff at the Adelaide Apple store today. They seem to think try-on appointments will start on Friday morning before pre-orders begin in the afternoon. They haven't been informed of the exact procedure yet.

I'm going to try booking an appointment for Friday before pre-orders start so I know for sure which one I want.

changa
6th April 2015, 07:34 PM
On the pre orders.

I am undecided between stainless and sports. Can I preorder both and then cancel one of them once I have tried them out instore?

You can pre-order both and then cancel the order. You can cancel orders anytime provided the item has not moved to 'Shipped'. Even if the item has shipped you still have 14 days to return the item for a full refund.

I spoke with staff at the Adelaide Apple store today. They seem to think try-on appointments will start on Friday morning before pre-orders begin in the afternoon. They haven't been informed of the exact procedure yet.

I'm going to try booking an appointment for Friday before pre-orders start so I know for sure which one I want.

The George Street Store in Sydney also told me that the Apple Watch will be available for viewing and try on from 9am on Friday morning. They are setting up the new Apple Watch desks overnight so that they can be ready first thing in the morning.

I am going to try and get into the Store to see the watches first hand in the morning and then pre-order at 5:01pm.

james the 2nd
6th April 2015, 09:18 PM
Fab! That's great to hear. Thanks for the insight.

Very much looking forward to trying the watch out.

Dust For Eyes
7th April 2015, 07:01 AM
I'm going to order the sports one. I would prefer the steel one, but I'm going to hold off on that. I want to first work out if this is something that is actually going to be more useful than a Tamagotchi.

TimboC
7th April 2015, 11:37 AM
I'm going to get a 42mm Apple Sport. I'd have liked the black stainless, with matching band, but the Apple tax is way too much for a product that is first generation, and the use case for which is yet to be proven for me. I'll order online, for delivery to me at work. That's worked well for other gear.

If I don't like it, I'll flip it in pretty short time, which means it shouldn't cost me much to try.

TimboC
9th April 2015, 03:26 PM
...or maybe I'll wait!

The reviews thus far have been quite positive, but I don't like the ones that keep suggesting the watch is s l o w. Kiss of death for me, is that

changa
9th April 2015, 06:31 PM
I must say that my enthusiasm for the Apple Watch has died down a bit after reading some of the reviews. I am not concerned about battery life, but don't like that it seems to be a bit slow. I know that with software updates and when app developers start to refine things it will get better, but I did not like a lot of the spinning wheels which appeared in some of the videos.

The other thing I don't like (but always knew it would be a problem) is that the watch face is not always on. Like some reviews have mentioned (Bloomberg Business Week, The Verge, Daring Fireball), they like to glance at their watch during the day to see the time, but the Apple Watch did not often pick up on these glances (depending on the position of your wrist). I know that this is going to be painful for me as I glance at my watch all the time. The watch often took a second to turn itself on when raising their wrists as well which slows down the entire process of just finding out the time.

I will probably still get an Apple Watch, but may start with the Stainless Steel with Sport Band rather than my original choice of Stainless Steel with Link Band (and save myself $600).

HugBee
9th April 2015, 09:44 PM
I'm definitely getting the watch at some point, however with the new Macbook release, it's either that or the watch, and I'm certainly picking the long-due laptop upgrade :)

Who knows, perhaps I'll get on the watch train with the 2nd gen, all the minor bugs and hardware issues should be fixed by then...

TimboC
10th April 2015, 11:00 AM
so I went into the Canberra Apple Store, and was immediately asked if I'd like to try one on, as well as see a working watch in action (the try-ons just run a demo loop). I tried on the 42mm Sport in Space Grey, which is the model I'd ('ll) buy. Fits my wrist well, and it certainly has all the usual Apple mojo for me to go ahead with an order.

Remember, as long as you're the second last sucker, there's no problem :D

carlow1
10th April 2015, 12:26 PM
Timbo did you try the stainless steel one? I tried both sizes. I'm going with the 42mm. I have 170mm wrists. The 38mm looked too small. Strangely I thought the 42mm stainless steel watch looked too thick on my wrist, whilst the 42mm black aluminium didn't even though they're the same dimensions. So space black 42mm for me. I think everyone is going for that model.

TimboC
10th April 2015, 01:34 PM
If I was thinking of stainless, it would be the black stainless....but I dropped that idea as soon as pricing was announced, along with the fact it's only available with the matching bracelet.

DIESELBOY
10th April 2015, 02:18 PM
I'm going to order the sports one. I would prefer the steel one, but I'm going to hold off on that. I want to first work out if this is something that is actually going to be more useful than a Tamagotchi.

I am going to do the same thing. I am going to buy the sports one first. Knowing Apple, they are going to improve this device every year so might as well start on the Sports one first. :)

Erwin
10th April 2015, 05:00 PM
Getting 2 - one small one for my wife, larger one for myself, both Sports, planning to swap out the straps with aftermarket ones.

Pej
10th April 2015, 05:07 PM
Order using store app - it's online now - as the web store isn't yet (edit - is up now)

Shipping between 24/4 - 8/5

Macjorsh
10th April 2015, 05:07 PM
I got 2 sports (38mm & 42mm) with delivery by the 24th. I used the app to place my orders.

Erwin
10th April 2015, 05:08 PM
I got 2 sports (38mm & 42mm) with delivery by the 24th. I used the app to place my orders.

Exactly the same!

TimboC
10th April 2015, 05:10 PM
I used the app, but very slow. Delivery now not for 4-6 weeks, when I'll be overseas, so I've passed for the time being

Dust For Eyes
10th April 2015, 05:11 PM
Got mine as well.

carlow1
10th April 2015, 05:19 PM
Snagged a 42mm black sport via Apple Store app. Website now says 4-6 weeks. That was quick.

senorgreg
10th April 2015, 05:22 PM
Snagged a 42mm black sport via Apple Store app. Website now says 4-6 weeks. That was quick.

Did anyone get a Delivers on 24/4 or is the best you can get Delivers by 24/4 - 8/5?

I had my order in by 5:03pm an it was 24/4 - 8/5.

I also wonder if that range of dates is in part to cover delivery to regional areas?

karter
10th April 2015, 05:31 PM
Did anyone get a Delivers on 24/4 or is the best you can get Delivers by 24/4 - 8/5?

I also wonder if that range of dates is in part to cover delivery to regional areas?

Exactly what dates I got..I am assuming we will be able to get a clearer date in the next 24hrs or so through tracking your order..My guess is that they have extended it up until 8/5 to cover themselves. Here's hoping for a delivery date of 24/4!

changa
10th April 2015, 05:34 PM

I also wonder if that range of dates is in part to cover delivery to regional areas?.

I was on the Store and order completed at 5:02pm. My date was also 24/4 - 8/5 for a Stainless Steel with Black Sport Band. I checked the Stainless Steel with Link Band but it was already at 'Delivers in 4-6 weeks' whilst the Space Black Stainless Steel was at delivers in June. I am pretty sure they both started with those delivery dates.

I checked the Space Grey Sport delivery time and it was at 4-6 weeks.

I think Australia might have got to see the Apple Watches before everyone else, but we definitely got screwed in regards to quantities.

UPDATE: Just checked and found that my second choice - the $21,000 42mm Gold Edition Watch is shipping in August! Well I guess that rules that one out. Damn you Apple!

Dust For Eyes
10th April 2015, 05:43 PM
Availability of the gold one is not 'til August for the thousands of you waiting for that one.

Oh some of them are available in July.

SRG
10th April 2015, 05:45 PM
Dont forget to vote in our poll, to say what you got (or that you ain't getting anything) http://www.mactalk.com.au/65/119432-poll-apple-watch-what-you-getting-giving-miss.html

karter
10th April 2015, 05:53 PM
42mm Space Grey Aluminium Case with Black Sport Band - shipping upto JUNE!

WOWWWWZA

Pej
10th April 2015, 06:00 PM
All of the sport 42mm now seem to be June - whilst the 38mm still have 24/4-8/5 or 6 weeks

I wonder if they didn't bother producing as many of colours apart from space grey sport for initial launch - surely the most popular choice?
Anyone order a 42mm sport in a colour band other than space grey?

Bosox76
10th April 2015, 11:33 PM
Have those who ordered received confirmation emails yet? I've only received a "your order is being processed email" with a delivery estimate of 24/4-8/5. I ordered at 5:02?

I've seen others on Twitter that have received a second email confirming their order (not sure if they're Aus orders)

Dust For Eyes
11th April 2015, 08:24 AM
Have those who ordered received confirmation emails yet? I've only received a "your order is being processed email" with a delivery estimate of 24/4-8/5. I ordered at 5:02?

I've seen others on Twitter that have received a second email confirming their order (not sure if they're Aus orders)

I've only received the one email.

An Australian video review can be found here:

Video: A minute with the Apple Watch (http://www.watch-next.com/video-a-minute-or-two-with-the-apple-watch/)

You get a glimpse of the packaging which I haven't seen before. It also shows that a snug fit is important when operating the watch as pressing the side button or digital crown gets a bit clumsy with the watch moving about all over the place.

Am going for a try on this morning.

Dust For Eyes
11th April 2015, 01:55 PM
So I had a had a try on and I of course dived straight into settings as that is where all the interesting things are hidden. This is what I saw that you may not have seen so far:

There's a setting for a pass code.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0xPXMeEgbQw/VSiZkGRoBVI/AAAAAAAADoc/B5y5r2FoQ1Y/w542-h723-no/Evernote%2BCamera%2BRoll%2B20150411%2B122706-1.jpg

Settings for lefties:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ha4T7yfp938/VSiZjEcXA-I/AAAAAAAADn8/iYRxqkn9VEI/w542-h723-no/Evernote%2BCamera%2BRoll%2B20150411%2B122706-2.jpg

You can set the time a little bit in advance if you're the sort of person who wants to do that:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aYsNR-kaYs4/VSiZiTCxXxI/AAAAAAAADok/LZnx5H9IOH4/w542-h723-no/Evernote%2BCamera%2BRoll%2B20150411%2B122706-3.jpg

There's a pin hole on the side probably for resets plus on the left you see another port/hole thingy for I don't know what.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JxRAyBmKFA0/VSiZmbS3A-I/AAAAAAAADoM/hgmZ2KCU9Is/w880-h660-no/Evernote%2BCamera%2BRoll%2B20150411%2B122706-4.jpg

TimboC
11th April 2015, 05:42 PM
OK, so I relented, and have ordered a 42mm Space Grey Sport, which will deliver sometime in June. This was after spending quite a bit of time trying to find out if/when it might be possible to reserve and collect from an Apple Store. Apparently, this is one of those Apple "secrets", ie, reallys secret, and no one knows! I'm going overseas in mid-May until early June,cans don't want to run into non-delivery due to not being around. I thought collection from a store would be a great way to obviate this risk, but Apple doesn't agree! For the time being, there's only one way to but an Apple Watch in Australia, and that's as a n online order. Seems a bit nuts to me, and suggests Apple is trying to be hard to do business with....like most in the luxury goods sector. But I'm not sure that's a good idea in tech!

TimboC
11th April 2015, 05:48 PM
.......There's a pin hole on the side probably for resets plus on the left you see another port/hole thingy for I don't know what.

I think one is the microphone, and the other a speaker. I was told reset was by holding down the two buttons for some period, or combination, or in front of an altar on which there are chicken entrails. I must say the lad who took me through my try on reminded me ever so slightly of one of those car salesmen who has no idea about what they're selling, apart from its name and the colour card. So I could be wrong!

james the 2nd
11th April 2015, 06:40 PM
Checked it out today instore. I walked in liking the sport /white band. And left with that being my least favorite. I didn't like the Milanese loop online but in person, stainless/ Milanese loop was my fav and then probably the space grey / black sports band. The white band felt great. Neat material in the sports bands.

I should add I wasn't interested in the space grey online, but in person that was one of my faves. Very discreet and nice.

Dust For Eyes
12th April 2015, 12:13 AM
I think one is the microphone, and the other a speaker. I was told reset was by holding down the two buttons for some period, or combination.

Yeah, you're probably right. Man with a speaker that tiny, no wonder you can't hear phone calls.

I must say the lad who took me through my try on reminded me ever so slightly of one of those car salesmen who has no idea about what they're selling, apart from its name and the colour card.

The guy I spoke to wasn't too bad although he may have been wrong about the orientation settings. Overall he was good. I'm sure they have a script, but he at least had a good enough game that he didn't seem like it.

Dust For Eyes
12th April 2015, 07:37 AM
This seems to be the packaging for the review units which may or may not be the packaging for the retail version.

http://assets.ilounge.com/images/uploads/all_three_apple_watch_box_pics_Untitled.jpg

Lockley
12th April 2015, 02:57 PM
I wonder if Scott Forstall has booked an appointment to try on the new Apple Watch.

#TooSoon?

changa
12th April 2015, 03:34 PM
I already pre-ordered the 42mm Stainless Steel with Sport Band (although I wanted to the Stainless Steel Link Bracelet), but made an appointment at the Bondi Junction Apple Store to try on the various watches in person. Here are my thoughts.

Arrived at The Bondi Junction Apple Store at 11am on Sunday 12 April and found it surprisingly quiet. Whilst there were a number of people in the store (there always is), the people were scattered around the store and not looking specifically at the Apple Watch. I was able to go straight to the desk with the Apple Watches and have a look as well as play with with the demo units without waiting. I was then approached by a young female sales assistant who was starting to explain the Apple Watch to me. I was 30 minutes early for my try on appointment, but they said no problems as it was not busy so they started my appointment straight away.
http://i.imgur.com/MrjH5NY.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/8DDDRoC.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/aOufLHY.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/TLrG2Lh.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/M40kT9v.jpg
I opted to only try on the 42mm versions of the watch as I prefer larger face watches and I knew the 38mm version would be too small for me. My wrist size 170mm.

The Sales Assistant was quite knowledgeable about the Apple Watch and confessed to being a watch fanatic herself. She said she owned a number of premium watches herself and was actually wearing a Rolex. She mentioned that she thought it was interesting that Apple went into the watch business as she always saw watches as prestige items which you keep for many years whilst the Apple Watch will have a definite use by date.

I first looked at the Milanese Loop (being the cheapest metal band option available at $229). The band was soft and easy to adjust but I really did not like the band at all! My wife looked at the band and said it was too feminine. I agreed as did the sales assistant. However the sales assistant did state that the Milanese Loop band was quite popular.

http://i.imgur.com/wslkHgy.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/2a9Vk5M.jpg

The next band I looked at was the Leather Loop (sorry, at this stage I got a bit too engrossed in the watch try on process and forgot to take photos of the watches on my wrist). The Leather Loop was quite nice. Like the Milanese Loop, it was very easy to adjust and felt comfortable. The Leather did not feel quite like leather though (I think this was due to the magnets imbedded inside the strap itself) but it was still comfortable.

The next watch I tried was the 42mm Space Grey Sport Edition with Sport Band. The Sport Band was quite nice actually. The material was soft and supple and very comfortable, however I don’t think it would be suitable for long term wear as it would not be breathable.

http://i.imgur.com/of06jxi.jpg

I then tried on the Stainless Steel with Link Bracelet and found this watch to be the best of the bunch. My wife and the sales assistant both agreed that this watch combination looked the best on me. The Link Bracelet was comfortable and stylish, however I was expecting the link bracelet did not have the real premium feel I was expecting. I currently wear a watch with a stainless steel link bracelet and found that the Apple Watch version did not feel as nice as my current watch.

I had a look at the Space Black Stainless Steel with Link Bracelet but found the colour a bit off. It looked a little cheap in my opinion. It just did not seem to have the classic look that the Silver Stainless Steel option provided.

http://i.imgur.com/uzrrKwR.jpg

The end result was I placed an order for an additional Stainless Steel Link Bracelet.

karter
16th April 2015, 08:26 PM
The Apple watch is my first ever Apple pre order.

I ordered 2x Apple watches and both are in the 24/4 - 8/5 window, but on the 10th Apple took the FULL amount of only one watch out of my acct. One transaction is still "pending" in my acct, and am unable to use the funds as it seems they are on hold. Is this normal? I'm sure it is, but I thought Apple charged the full amount when the item has turned to "shipped."
Having a look on MacRumors, it seems some of them have the same transaction on their acct, whilst others have a $1 transaction in their acct to ensure that their credit cards are legit.
I just find it odd that its seems that one watch payment is "pending" whilst the $ for the other watch has done nothing.

Can anyone talk from previous experience?

dawsman
19th April 2015, 03:17 PM
I just caved and pre-ordered a 38mm Space Grey aluminium watch with black sport band. My ideal choice would have been the 38mm stainless steel with link bracelet but couldn't justify the price tag for an untried device. If it works out I'd plan to upgrade when version 2 comes out.

Had a long think about 38mm vs 42mm. I have a relatively small wrist so landed on the 38mm, plus I want it to feel like a normal watch size-wise.

Doesn't ship until June - probably a good thing as it gives me a chance to change my mind!

james the 2nd
20th April 2015, 03:59 PM
So, for those that have a delivery date of 24/5 - 8/5, when should we expect to see the order status change to 'prepare for shipment' if indeed it's to arrive on the 24th?

TimboC
20th April 2015, 08:37 PM
My vote is "not before the 24th" 😟

james the 2nd
20th April 2015, 08:48 PM
My vote is "not before the 24th" 😟

I'm tending to agree.

Though I did see someone post on Instagram that their charger for the watch was being 'prepped for shipment' today.

TimboC
20th April 2015, 08:54 PM
Interesting article in Fortune on how Apple may be going about this. Makes sense, given the evidence...but who really knows

http://fortune.com/2015/04/19/apples-made-to-order-watch/

james the 2nd
20th April 2015, 09:02 PM
Along a similar vein,

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/20/technology/personaltech/changing-tactics-apple-promotes-watch-as-a-luxury-item.html

Given the long lead in time from sept last year to now, it's hard to argue against this being a considered drip feed which mirrors other luxury brand tactics as suggested in the article.

On the flip side of course, would apple want to sell more if they could, one would think 'heck yes!' but maybe they're trying to build up the allure and play the 'long game' here than a short term bump. Only apple knows..

Erwin
21st April 2015, 02:58 PM
My order still says "Processing Item..."

james the 2nd
22nd April 2015, 10:48 AM
My order still says "Processing Item..."

I'm yet to see any change of status for Aussie pre-orders..

Tazza0712
22nd April 2015, 11:55 AM
I have ordered two watches and both fall into the first delivery category. Neither has moved from processing as yet. Perhaps by this evening there will be a change and if not it looks less likely they will arrive on Friday.

AcesHoney
22nd April 2015, 04:23 PM
I have ordered two watches and both fall into the first delivery category. Neither has moved from processing as yet. Perhaps by this evening there will be a change and if not it looks less likely they will arrive on Friday.

Mine is still at the processing stage too.. was really hoping for a Friday delivery, it does say 24.0-8/05 but was holding out hope it would be sooner rather than later. After going into the store for a try on yesterday I am even more keen to have it, so sleek and light and beautiful, the crown seemed much easier to use than I had anticipated and the apps responded better than I had hoped for such a small device, I didn't mis hit an app during my 15 mins playing with it :)

mattcooper
22nd April 2015, 04:34 PM
+1 for processing :( preordered black sport within 30 seconds of preorders going live. Was hoping to have on Friday

james the 2nd
22nd April 2015, 05:13 PM
Someone posted this info over at macrumors:

"Info for Aussie Preorderers.

I rang Apple tonight because the pre-auth had disappeared from my credit card. Was informed this is normal as they can only hold a pre-auth for a certain duration before the bank returns your money. They will re-charge and update your status. (So make sure you have the funds available in your account).

The rep also informed me:

It is likely you won't see a charge and/or status change until tomorrow (Wednesday) or Thursday. (This happened with the iPhone 6 too).

He also said that as I'd got my order in within 3 mins of the store going live (and have a 24th April to 8th May window) I have an 80 to 90% chance of getting the watch on the 24th - if not shortly thereafter. Excited!

Hope this helps any concerned Aussies
Originally Posted by kaostheory777 "

james the 2nd
22nd April 2015, 05:15 PM
Whoop! Mine just changed to 'preparing for shipment'.

tezzi
22nd April 2015, 05:17 PM
Whoop! Mine just changed to 'preparing for shipment'.

Mine too. I've been checking all day and it just switched over to 'preparing for shipment' now.

SoVeReIgN
22nd April 2015, 05:55 PM
Yay mine just changed too. Hopefully that means Friday

Pej
22nd April 2015, 06:14 PM
Yep - mine has changed as well :D

42 Space Grey Sport

mattcooper
22nd April 2015, 07:05 PM
Thank god! Mines changed too

james the 2nd
22nd April 2015, 08:34 PM
Anyone's credit card charged as yet? yet to see mine charged.

changa
22nd April 2015, 08:36 PM
What did you all order?

I ordered a Stainless Steel with Black Sport Band and I am still at 'Processing'. I completed my order at 5:02pm on the 10th April as well. Boo, Hiss. Where's my Apple Watch? :footinmouth:

ts10
22nd April 2015, 08:59 PM
Woohooo! My 38mm Milanese Loop is preparing for shipment. Card has been charged too. Hopefully that means Friday morning...

Tazza0712
22nd April 2015, 09:57 PM
My 42mm SS Milanese Loop has been charged and is preparing for shipment. That happened at about 5pm. My 42mm SS Black Sport Band has not been charged and is still on processing.

dmw
22nd April 2015, 10:04 PM
Apple Watch 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Black Sport Band
My order still says processing too.

In fact I haven't seen anyone in the world post that a 42 SS Black Sport is shipping. Seems strange that they wouldn't have any black of the entry level bands ready to go.

Tazza0712
22nd April 2015, 10:40 PM
It does seem strange. I believe that the black sport watch with the black sport band was an incredibly popular choice. I wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

The Fluffy Duck
23rd April 2015, 12:27 AM
$579 for the descent sized budget model is a joke. They have totally out priced themselves out of the market. Thats a gaming console, or an oculus rift when it comes out with hundreds left over to buy a pebble. Considering it only lasts a day as well. Apple normally have their finger on the pulse of the consumers wallet, but this is a joke price. Even half that is too much. This is a phone accessory nothing more.

mattcooper
23rd April 2015, 11:29 AM
Anyone's credit card charged as yet? yet to see mine charged.

Mine hasn't charged yet, but status does say preparing for shipment

james the 2nd
23rd April 2015, 11:36 AM
Mine hasn't charged yet, but status does say preparing for shipment

Same here.

Erwin
23rd April 2015, 11:45 AM
Mine says "preparing for shipment" too! :D

Mine were 38 and 42 white sports models.

changa
23rd April 2015, 02:08 PM
Well, I just got this email from Apple. It looks like I will not be getting my Apple Watch tomorrow. :sad:

http://i.imgur.com/KgnERZW.png

palais
23rd April 2015, 02:42 PM
Yeah, same here. Oh well, back to watching the guided tours over and over :)

karter
23rd April 2015, 07:57 PM
42mm White Sports has changed to "shipped" & now has tracking number
42mm SG Sports still at "Processing"

White Sports purchased about 10mins AFTER SG Sport...

ts10
23rd April 2015, 08:27 PM
Shipped!!! And at the TNT Depot as of 4:58pm this afternoon. Fuck I hope it comes before I have to go to work at 11:30.

Erwin
23rd April 2015, 09:26 PM
Both of mine are now shipped too! Shipped 23 April. White 38 and 42 sports. How exciting. Both in Sydney depot. I'm in melbourne so may not get them tomorrow.

Oldmacs
23rd April 2015, 09:30 PM
Must be exciting for you guys!!

How does it stack up in terms of the iPad launch and the iPhone launch? (For those who were early adopters)

james the 2nd
23rd April 2015, 09:59 PM
Shipped, credit card still yet to be charged.

Anyone in same boat?

AcesHoney
23rd April 2015, 10:06 PM
Mine has shipped too, at Sydney depot at 16.23 (I'm in Melbourne) not sure if credit card has been charged cause hubby paid, still have everything crossed that it can get from Sydney to Melbourne overnight

It's a little different from previous pre orders in the fact that there was a two week delivery window, but the anticipation, the stress, and the excitement is the same :)

Erwin
23rd April 2015, 11:16 PM
Ok just received the emails - arriving tomorrow at our home :)

james the 2nd
23rd April 2015, 11:30 PM
Same. Emails here too.

Can anyone remind me what happens if you miss the delivery?

carlow1
24th April 2015, 07:41 AM
I'm one of the suckers who preordered early but will not be getting my watch today. I wish Apple had only put delivered by 8th May rather than 24/4 - 8/5. It gave us all hope we'd have our watches today. It's disappointing especially when orders dated June delivery are being delivered today. Ah well not to worry I've waited 2 weeks I guess 2 more weeks won't kill me.

tomwazere
24th April 2015, 09:38 AM
I'm one of the suckers who preordered early but will not be getting my watch today. I wish Apple had only put delivered by 8th May rather than 24/4 - 8/5. It gave us all hope we'd have our watches today. It's disappointing especially when orders dated June delivery are being delivered today. Ah well not to worry I've waited 2 weeks I guess 2 more weeks won't kill me.

I feel your pain! Out of interest which model did you order? I ordered 42mm Space Grey Sport. Ordered right on 5:01 through the app too, quickest I've ever got through. Oh well hopefully we get them early next week!

mattcooper
24th April 2015, 10:30 AM
Just thought I'd share mine arrived today.. 42mm sports black to regional Bundaberg :)

changa
24th April 2015, 10:49 AM

I'm in the same boat. Ordered early and got the dreaded email.

The problem I have is I am no closer to knowing when the watch will actually be delivered. It would have been nice if Apple provided greater clarity.

I am not 100% convinced of the usefulness of the Apple Watch, so I guess the delay will give me more time to read about the real world uses of the watch and then decide if the Apple Watch is a keeper.

tomwazere
24th April 2015, 11:18 AM
Just thought I'd share mine arrived today.. 42mm sports black to regional Bundaberg :)

Nice one!!! Enjoy :)

Dust For Eyes
24th April 2015, 11:53 AM
Sydney store queue to try a watch on yesterday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jendudley/status/591375832922206209/photo/1

carlow1
24th April 2015, 12:20 PM
Tom I ordered the same one as you. 42mm space grey with black sport band. It's sucks not knowing when my watch will arrive.

Erwin
24th April 2015, 12:25 PM
Received the watches. :)

Dust For Eyes
24th April 2015, 01:04 PM
The store component of the apple watch app on the iPhone is now active. You can see at how some of the existing apps are going to look like on the watch while you wait for it to be delivered.

tomwazere
24th April 2015, 03:39 PM
Tom I ordered the same one as you. 42mm space grey with black sport band. It's sucks not knowing when my watch will arrive.

Mine has just changed to 'Preparing for shipment'. Hopefully means a Monday delivery :D

TimboC
24th April 2015, 04:42 PM
Received the watches. :)

Pics...or it didn't happen 😉

ts10
24th April 2015, 11:28 PM
Got mine! Very nice! Favourite aspect so far is the TripView glance. It finds the next service closest to you. i.e. if you have a trip in the iPhone app from Bondi Junction to Town Hall, and you're at Bondi Beach, it'll show you the next service in your glances. Pretty nifty and very useful for someone like me who doesn't drive.

Hoping most apps are updated with similar, Watch-relevant functionality.

Oldmacs
25th April 2015, 12:10 AM
Got mine! Very nice! Favourite aspect so far is the TripView glance. It finds the next service closest to you. i.e. if you have a trip in the iPhone app from Bondi Junction to Town Hall, and you're at Bondi Beach, it'll show you the next service in your glances. Pretty nifty and very useful for someone like me who doesn't drive.

Hoping most apps are updated with similar, Watch-relevant functionality.

ARGGHHHHH That feature alone would be amazing!

A random question... how much battery does the iPhone consume while the Watch is using connected apps?

Erwin
25th April 2015, 11:54 AM
Pics...or it didn't happen 😉

http://i.imgur.com/JWb39dW.jpg

Bastard Sheep
27th April 2015, 09:51 AM
$579 for the descent sized budget model is a joke. They have totally out priced themselves out of the market. Thats a gaming console, or an oculus rift when it comes out with hundreds left over to buy a pebble. Considering it only lasts a day as well. Apple normally have their finger on the pulse of the consumers wallet, but this is a joke price. Even half that is too much. This is a phone accessory nothing more.

I disagree. Pebbles etc are a screen, basic computer and communication back to the phone, and the only sensors are compass and basic motion sensors. Activity monitors with the same lack of sensors are around $100. Watches with more advanced sensors (HR, GPS, mapping etc) are upwards of $300, some coming in at over $800. When you take a device with similar full range of sensors and slap smartwatch functionality on top of it, I think the Apple watches actually come out pretty well in regards to price.

So how are people finding the real world battery life? Is it lasting a full day? It sounded to me from the description/demo given that it'd struggle to even last a full business day if you used it much if at all? Definitely not a day of work + night out with no charging in between.

james the 2nd
27th April 2015, 02:55 PM
Battery life has been much better than expected.

I have a 42mm and am still in the novelty/overuse phase. I'm yet to see it under 40% at the end of the day.

I could see this almost lasting a couple of days with light use.

It's 3pm and currently sitting at 78%. Has been on my wrist from 8am.

james the 2nd
27th April 2015, 06:12 PM
Battery check:

6pm and battery is at 64%.

Have been playing a bit with the watch, checking instagram, mail, as well trying a few different watch faces. It has also rung a few times this afternoon.

james the 2nd
27th April 2015, 07:27 PM
Battery check:

7:20pm.

Since 6pm I have been listening to music stored on the watch to my bluetooth headphones connected to the watch for about 10 mins, sending texts, playing with siri with the kids and receiving mail and twitter notifications.

Battery at 51%.

Siri has been very funny actually. Here's the twitter stream of her replies.

https://twitter.com/jimimaroudas/status/592617132531191808

I'll check in with a final battery check tonight. Very pleased thus far.

UPDATE: 9:40pm.
Done for the day.
Battery at 38%.

Erwin
27th April 2015, 10:36 PM
I've found battery life to be quite good. With heavy use (notifications, map alerts, phone calls, text messages) I still get down to only 50% before I retire to go to bed for my 42 mm.

Dust For Eyes
28th April 2015, 06:19 AM
How has your iPhone battery been going?

Erwin
28th April 2015, 07:31 AM
How has your iPhone battery been going?

iPhone 6+ is probably draining slightly faster - end of the day down to 20% with heavy use.

Oldmacs
28th April 2015, 08:38 AM
My iPhone 5 battery drains faster with bluetooth on, even with nothing connected so I guess an Apple Watch would drain even more :P

woofy
28th April 2015, 01:02 PM
One thing I have noticed is lots of people got the 42mm model which is way too big for their wrist. I think the assumption was the smaller size was for women. An issue with preordering something you hadn't been able to try on beforehand I guess.

TimboC
28th April 2015, 02:42 PM
Good point! As a general rule (in the watch world) you need a wrist diameter of 7.25" (185mm) to wear a watch of 42mm or greater. That said, it is like all rules, and tends to be honoured by many in its breach. I reckon 42mm+ on 7" wrist or less looks a bit naff, but that's just me. I've ordered a 42mm and I have a 7.5" wrist. I still tosed up, but basically decided I'd like a bit more wrist real estate to support larger text. When I tried on at the Apple Store, it was not especially obvious the text IS all that much larger on the 42mm over the 38. Life's like that!

Erwin
28th April 2015, 03:57 PM
I have a small wrist and prefer the larger screen for visibility. I've always tended towards chunkier watches anyway.

james the 2nd
29th April 2015, 12:39 AM
Further battery report:
Watch on the wrist from 7:30am.
Out all day. Used maps a little. Checked notifications. Sent a few texts. Got home in the evening and went for a 35min run using workout app and streamed music from the watch for the entire run to my Bluetooth headphones. Then went out at night and caught up with some friends and saw a movie. Back just after midnight and battery is at 31%. Very pleased with that.

TimboC
29th April 2015, 01:05 PM
Interesting (well not really) update on my order. Originally said "Delivery: June". Now it says "4-6 weeks; expected 27/5/15 - 10/6/15. All in all, that's a tad sooner than I expected, and suggests Apple is working hard on fulfilling back orders.

james the 2nd
29th April 2015, 03:46 PM
One thing I've found, it is not good to use in the car. Being a small screen and by nature of it being on your wrist, usually within a foot of your eyes it really narrows your perifary vision if you raise your wrist to look at it.

TimboC
29th April 2015, 08:23 PM
Have you tried "Ok, Siri..." in the car (assuming you have B/T kit)?

james the 2nd
29th April 2015, 08:42 PM
Have you tried "Ok, Siri..." in the car (assuming you have B/T kit)?

Once thus far to play some music which worked well. Anything other than that and the most casual of glances I've found requires too focused an amount of attention. Still early days of course..

TimboC
29th April 2015, 09:41 PM
I'm hoping it can be done without any glances...may take a bit of practice!!

changa
3rd May 2015, 08:27 PM
Hi All,

Although you don't get two full sport bands with your new Apple Watch, you do get a S/M and a L strap (3 pieces in total).

I use the S/M and so have no use for the Large strap. Does anyone want to do a swap of their 42mm Black S/M for a 42mm Black Large strap?

I thought it would be good to have a spare (half strap) of the size I wear.

let me know if interested.

labqi
4th May 2015, 08:09 PM
Hi everyone! I ordered the Space Grey Sports and was stuck with a 12/5-25/05 delivery, but saw that the status just got changed from Processing Items to Preparing for Shipment. Has anyone else had the same thing happen to their order?

Dust For Eyes
5th May 2015, 11:56 AM
So mine has just been marked as shipped. Due tomorrow.

I was originally given the delivery date range of 12/5/2015 - 25/5/2015, but for me that means 6/5/2015 (assuming it arrives tomorrow as expected).

dawsman
7th May 2015, 05:31 PM
Well, it turns out I did change my mind today.

Went to a try-on appointment the Perth Apple store today. I tried the 38+42mm Space Grey sports with Black Sports Band, and 38+42mm Stainless Steel with Link Bracelet. Have now cancelled my pre-order for the 38mm SG BSB and placed a new pre-order for the 38mm SS with LB.

The 38mm with the sports band looked very small on my wrist, I think partly because the sports band is quite bulky. If I had stuck with that model I would have changed to the 42mm. However the link bracelet is not as bulky and suits the 38mm better IMO, at least on my wrist. May be food for thought for those who are still waiting for their pre-order and haven't tried one on.

I just caved and pre-ordered a 38mm Space Grey aluminium watch with black sport band. My ideal choice would have been the 38mm stainless steel with link bracelet but couldn't justify the price tag for an untried device. If it works out I'd plan to upgrade when version 2 comes out.

Had a long think about 38mm vs 42mm. I have a relatively small wrist so landed on the 38mm, plus I want it to feel like a normal watch size-wise.

Doesn't ship until June - probably a good thing as it gives me a chance to change my mind!

m_242
13th May 2015, 04:12 PM
Checked my order status this morning on a 42mm apple watch with black sports band and it was still saying delivery between 27 May to 10 June...but just now got an email saying it is with TNT and will deliver to Melbourne CBD tomorrow morning. Needless to say, very happy with this form of under promising and over delivery!

TimboC
16th May 2015, 01:08 AM
Interesting! Mine was saying the same as yours (27 May - 10 June), but now it's blown out to 29 May - 12 June. It must be the black sports band!😀

GeoffP
16th May 2015, 12:35 PM
Ordered a black 42mm Sports watch and black band - 5 to 7 weeks....
Couldn't justify the cost for a stainless steel version - especially on a V1 product.

gumby08
17th May 2015, 08:27 AM
I pre-ordered the 38mm sports with blue band which arrived on launch day. I then ordered the black sports band on 3 May and it was delivered on 12 May, so if you want your watch quickly and don't mind waiting a bit for the black band, this might be the way to go.

bigbod
22nd May 2015, 02:29 PM
Mine says "Available to ship: 4-6 weeks. Delivers: 27/05/2015 - 10/06/2015 by Standard Shipping".

Starting to lose faith in Apple's arithmetic.

dawson1138
22nd May 2015, 05:40 PM
Mine says "Available to ship: 4-6 weeks. Delivers: 27/05/2015 - 10/06/2015 by Standard Shipping".

Starting to lose faith in Apple's arithmetic.

Mine said delivers 11/6/15 - 25/6/15...

Just got invoice and delivery email...comes on Monday! I'm happy though

TimboC
22nd May 2015, 09:52 PM
Mine, too...somewhat interesting that the few who have received theirs have had much to say, in posts

Pharaohsam
22nd May 2015, 10:23 PM
i ordered the black apple watch with black link bracelet on preorder day at 5:03pm - until yesterday it said "Ships June" all of a sudden yesterday I got shipment notification and it turned up today :)

GeoffP
23rd May 2015, 06:55 AM
Mine, too...somewhat interesting that the few who have received theirs have had much to say, in posts

which posts - I haven't seen many apart from this thread?

TimboC
24th May 2015, 08:40 AM
Sorry...typo or autocorrect. I meant "haven't had much to say" 😊

Erwin
24th May 2015, 10:58 AM
There's not much to say. :) the watch works, a minor bug with iMessages not going through via iPhone but the latest OS update for the watch may have fixed it. There was an update overnight. I'm waiting for my 3rd party band and adaptor to arrive. Can't wait for latest versions of the watch to come.

TimboC
24th May 2015, 11:50 AM
Any notable 3rd party apps?

Lockley
24th May 2015, 07:44 PM
Does anyone have the link bracelet? What do you think?

Pharaohsam
24th May 2015, 09:53 PM
Loving it!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/PharaohSam/203E28FE-36F9-4208-B605-15A7125CA396_zpsnvlazemb.jpg

Sorry for the hairy arm lol

It's awesomely made and brilliantly easy to adjust the size and very comfortable. Def not worth the pricetag though!

GeoffP
25th May 2015, 06:35 AM
There's not much to say. :) the watch works, a minor bug with iMessages not going through via iPhone but the latest OS update for the watch may have fixed it. There was an update overnight. I'm waiting for my 3rd party band and adaptor to arrive. Can't wait for latest versions of the watch to come.

Which 3rd party band and adaptor did you buy?? URL link...

Erwin
25th May 2015, 07:56 AM
Which 3rd party band and adaptor did you buy?? URL link...

First post in this thread:
http://www.mactalk.com.au/65/119436-third-party-straps-bands-apple-watch.html

changa
25th May 2015, 12:24 PM
Does anyone have the link bracelet? What do you think?

I bought the link bracelet.

What do I think about it? It's a nice bracelet, there are things I like and don't like about it.

- The bracelet is very easy to adjust (but realistically you should not need to adjust the links very often).
- You can tell that the bracelet is well designed

Dislikes
- The bracelet does not allow you to make micro adjustments. My ideal size is between link sizes (i.e. on one setting it is a bit too tight and on another setting it's a bit too loose). If the Apple Watch is too loose, I find that the heart rate and activity monitoring is a bit off (and on occasion my Apple Watch locks itself as it has lost connection with my writs). On my old watch, the link bracelet allowed micro adjustments via the clasp (so you could make half link adjustments).
- The butterfly clasp employed can be a bit fiddly. I would have preferred a more traditional clasp
- The bracelet maintains it's loop when off the wrist. I prefer a link bracelet which collapses onto itself so your watch can lie flat when off the wrist.

So overall the link bracelet is nice and the best band Apple sells (IMHO), but it could have been better.

Lockley
25th May 2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks for that Changa. I think I will buy it because I really do like link bracelets. My fear was exactly what you said about the fit and how it could be loose or too tight due to my wrist size but we will see what happens

GeoffP
26th May 2015, 06:30 AM
First post in this thread:
http://www.mactalk.com.au/65/119436-third-party-straps-bands-apple-watch.html

cheers - which band did you end up going for?
AND
is there an eta for the adaptor?

Erwin
26th May 2015, 03:23 PM
cheers - which band did you end up going for?
AND
is there an eta for the adaptor?

I got the Click. Because the campaign was so successful, I got 3 adaptors for the price of 1, and 2 free bands - a silver metal one and a black leather one. Great! ETA is June.

james the 2nd
26th May 2015, 06:48 PM
Apple Store Chadstone has sports bands (I didn't see any black) in store for sale and Milanese loop bands out the back for sale but not yet on display.

GeoffP
28th May 2015, 06:46 AM
I got the Click. Because the campaign was so successful, I got 3 adaptors for the price of 1, and 2 free bands - a silver metal one and a black leather one. Great! ETA is June.

Just ordered a Click adaptor - delivery sometime in June.
Not sure on bands though...
Updated ETA for my Apple Watch - delivery is now sooner by a couple of weeks - new expected timing is 16-June/23-June

macman142
28th May 2015, 03:20 PM
I ordered mine on the 10th April, it arrived on the 25th May.

Interestingly, my "Activity" app shows it was alive on the 10th and 11th May, then off again until I received it. Wonder if that was the day it was born? I guess so (kindof cool).

GeoffP
28th May 2015, 03:31 PM
I ordered mine on the 10th April, it arrived on the 25th May.

Interestingly, my "Activity" app shows it was alive on the 10th and 11th May, then off again until I received it. Wonder if that was the day it was born? I guess so (kindof cool).

What is the Activity app??

macman142
28th May 2015, 05:33 PM
Its an app included which you key your height/weight/age and activity level into and it will measure when it thinks you're still, walking, running, standing etc and represent the data for you with a funky little graph.

Shows you on a daily basis but also can go back in time. Has been active since I unboxed the watch and first turned it on. Previous to that it is completely blank, except for a blip on the 10th of May, and again on the 11th May, before it was obviously turned off again.

TimboC
29th May 2015, 12:01 PM
Interesting thing: I'm currently in the US, and now in the DC area. I've been into two Apple Stores over the last week, and noticed very, very few people checking out, trying on the Apple Watch, or even looking at the display cases.

SRG
29th May 2015, 05:07 PM
Interesting and I must admit that I got a few questions at launch but since then I don't hear it mentioned anywhere. I really think not having stock in store for them and the new MacBook is proving to be an issue.

Whilst many of us (I didn't) might buy one online unseen, most people I think at that price want to be able n the store look at it buy it and have the staff on hand they have issues setting it up.

Also I am not convinced that many people really see a need for Smart Watch be it from Apple or anyone else. That may change down the track when some must have feature is added but as it is I don't think they a strong reason to own one.

TimboC
30th May 2015, 08:11 AM
I wrote something on this a month or so ago. What are the Apple Stores for, if not to sell their key products?
http://www.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=1219080
And no, I was told at the 5th Ave store I couldn't purchase a watch there...not even the gold one! Meanwhile, nearby at the Rolex store....😕

mtmember
1st June 2015, 01:13 PM
The watch screen is just too small. I suppose it might come in handy if you forget to take your phone somewhere but.... I'm usually the first to jump on new Apple stuff but not this watch. I've gotten very used to not having to wear a watch and like it that way. :)

Erwin
1st June 2015, 02:37 PM
I suppose it might come in handy if you forget to take your phone somewhere but....

The watch won't work properly if you leave the phone at home... it relies on the phone's SIM and internet connection.

GeoffP
2nd June 2015, 02:48 PM
Just had another update - they must be catching up on production..

Processing Items Available to ship: 5-7 business days
Delivers: 16/06/2015 by Standard Shipping

TimboC
4th June 2015, 01:49 PM
The watch won't work properly if you leave the phone at home... it relies on the phone's SIM and internet connection.

Interesting! I read somewhere the watch can maintain some capability if used somewhere there's a known wireless network -- even if the phone is switched off. Still limited, though.

On this, I just arrived back from the US this morning. As we were starting to descend, I pulled my iPhone 6 out, which was switched to flight mode, but I noticed it was showing the correct date and time. Previously, I had to switch from flight mode for this to happen, which suggests the IP6 is pulling this data from somewhere despite apparently having its wireless turned off.

GeoffP
12th June 2015, 02:56 PM
Was expecting delivery of my watch on Monday, but it dropped on my desk this morning (pleasant surprise).
The packaging and presentation when first opening everything is typical Apple coolness. I was expecting a small squarish box you typically get from a jeweller, but noooo, Apple is insane with quality and presentation.
Now have a couple of days to get used to it - I am wearing out the watch tilt mechanism already today - lol.

james the 2nd
15th June 2015, 02:36 PM
How's everyone enjoying their apple watch?

Wearing mine almost daily. Have found the activity rings to be very 'sticky'.

Twice the weather hasn't updated on the watch face. Had to remove it from glances then put it back and that seemed to work. 3rd party apps are a novelty at best at the moment, simply too slow in the loading. However the other conveniences make up for it for me. I have also been pleasantly surprised at how useful notifications have proven to be. Delegating them from the phone has worked well for me and means that I'm checking the phone much less.

I have been mostly wearing the white sports band and really love the design. I'm surprised that over a month on and it's still very white. ..Except when I read the newspaper and then a few wipes and it's back to being clean. I was expecting the white band to discolour, but yet to happen.

TimboC
16th June 2015, 09:09 AM
Interesting! I read somewhere the watch can maintain some capability if used somewhere there's a known wireless network -- even if the phone is switched off. Still limited, though.

On this, I just arrived back from the US this morning. As we were starting to descend, I pulled my iPhone 6 out, which was switched to flight mode, but I noticed it was showing the correct date and time. Previously, I had to switch from flight mode for this to happen, which suggests the IP6 is pulling this data from somewhere despite apparently having its wireless turned off.

Interesting report today that the next version of Apple Watch o/s will obtain data from known wi-if networks, without the need for being synced to an iPhone

http://www.businessfinancenews.com/22685-apple-inc-watch-os-upgrade-will-cut-ties-with-iphone/

I note that my Apple Watch has a wireless ID separate to Bluetooth, so there's lots going on in that little case.

The_Hawk
16th June 2015, 01:18 PM
I ordered one for my wife Yesterday and the shipping was listed as 5-7 days. After reading this thread and others about slippages I thought I should go check what it actually said... to my surprise it says "shipped".

The track item button doesn't appear to give any results yet, but will keep a keen eye on all that!

The_Hawk
16th June 2015, 08:21 PM
Where is it shipping from? Direct from the Shenzhen factory?

My tracking now says:
Pick up date 16 Jun 2015
Destination Melbourne
Estimated due date 23 Jun 2015

Edit: Where are they made anyway? Today's update says it's at "Pudong International Airport".

kungfucamel
17th June 2015, 11:55 AM
Yeah looks like they are shipping them direct from the factory. I received mine last week and was watching the tracking order - after Pudong it went to Sydney and then up to Brisbane.

Where is it shipping from? Direct from the Shenzhen factory?

My tracking now says:
Pick up date 16 Jun 2015
Destination Melbourne
Estimated due date 23 Jun 2015

Edit: Where are they made anyway? Today's update says it's at "Pudong International Airport".

The_Hawk
19th June 2015, 02:48 PM
I got an SMS this morning saying this was going to be delivered! That was a nice surprise, a new toy to play with over the weekend!! except that this was a surprise for my wife (who still doesn't know it's coming :D)) and I organised to have it delivered to the house because she's normally home...

...except today...

... where she got home about 15 minutes *after* the delivery notice was left :(

Sadly I'm not able to pick it up from the Depot today either (otherwise I would) so I've had to have it re-delivered to my work address on Monday (since I don't want to play the game of missing a driver again). It's still before the original estimated date, but I'm all excited (moreso about how excited/surprised she will be that about the watch) and would do a long way out of my way to see it happen sooner... stupid weekend :P

I offered to drive anywhere to a depot or to meet a driver, but sadly that didn't get me anywhere. I wonder if the TNT drivers read MacTalk between drop offs ;)). Oh well, I suppose I will have to contain myself until Monday now.

EDIT: I may just have to hunt down and kiss the TNT man. He decided that since he had to drive back past our street on his way back to the depot/home that he would drive past and see if anyone was home. She was. She is excited. +10 Karma for the TNT man for going the extra mile. Brilliant!

TimboC
19th June 2015, 05:54 PM
Great story! Big kudos to TNT.

Meanwhile, my Kickstarter Pebble Time arrived on Wednesday. I like the new design and the timeline metaphor, but it underscored to me what a nice piece of kit the Apple Watch is, so it's off the eBay for the new Pebble.

GeoffP
27th November 2015, 12:14 PM
Has everyone who ordered the apple watch band adaptor from Click SevenSixteen received theirs yet?
After a couple of emails from them saying it was shipping back in September, plus follow up emails to them from myself, I have heard nothing and received nada.................

SRG
27th November 2015, 08:51 PM
So I got one for my recent birthday (it was a big number) and have to say I am impressed with how it has slipped into daily my routine.

There hasn't been any stand out, gosh gee moment but perhaps that is its true beauty how it just works.

Ended up with the Apple Watch Black leather strap. I do like the loop band but not sure I will cough up 220 bucks for it as a standalone.

My most used app is mail, as I have work Mail on there, messages, CommSec and as I do a bit of selling on eBay that also gets a run.

Fitness and health stuff is nice.

Oldmacs
28th November 2015, 12:15 AM
So I got one for my recent birthday (it was a big number) and have to say I am impressed with how it has slipped into daily my routine.

There hasn't been any stand out, gosh gee moment but perhaps that is its true beauty how it just works.

Ended up with the Apple Watch Black leather strap. I do like the loop band but not sure I will cough up 220 bucks for it as a standalone.

My most used app is mail, as I have work Mail on there, messages, CommSec and as I do a bit of selling on eBay that also gets a run.

Fitness and health stuff is nice.

Glad you're enjoying yours!

I could see myself loving one, but thats the problem.. I swear I spend so much time on my phone/ipad/mac that if I had an Apple Watch.. I'd never live in the real world :O

SRG
28th November 2015, 01:04 PM
Actually Oldmacs I think it has opposite effect, because I can check things so easily with a quick glance I am spending less time on the iPad and phone.

Oldmacs
28th November 2015, 07:15 PM
Actually Oldmacs I think it has opposite effect, because I can check things so easily with a quick glance I am spending less time on the iPad and phone.

That is true!

Maybe one day. Being a uni student, I don't have money to spend on technology.. especially since I foresee myself having to replace my iPad 2 by the end of last year :'(

baobab68
30th November 2015, 06:36 AM
Does anyone else have massive problems with dictation? I probably have a 30-40% failure rate - "Apple Watch failed to take Dictation"...I've tried wiping it and restoring from backup, setting up as a new Watch, neither has made any difference. I do feel that it was more reliable on the original version of WatchOS though.

nicholasporison
10th August 2016, 08:52 PM
i really like iwatch's Calling notifications and citymapper feature