PDA

View Full Version : Is FileMaker still suitable for these smaller databases?

SRG
1st August 2014, 04:33 PM
For my bookstore I need to keep track of individual books, the publisher and the distributor. In the past I would likely have used Bento and it seems that FileMaker may be overkill. Is FileMaker still suitable for these smaller databases?

BradTaylor
4th August 2014, 08:21 PM
For my bookstore I need to keep track of individual books, the publisher and the distributor. In the past I would likely have used Bento and it seems that FileMaker may be overkill. Is FileMaker still suitable for these smaller databases?

Hi SRG,

From a technical perspective, I would say FileMaker is not overkill for smaller databases. I have plenty of FM databases with just one or two tables and maybe just a few hundred records.

From a price point of view, that depends. FM costs significantly more than what Bento did, so you'd need to crunch the numbers. Of course the benefit of FM is it can *do* significantly more than what Bento can, and you would have the flexibility of expanding and enriching your book database, and maybe creating others. Container fields, for instance, especially in the latest version of FM, lend themselves nicely to cataloging.

Cheers,
Brad

kerr
27th August 2014, 11:59 AM
From a technical perspective, I would say FileMaker is not overkill for smaller databases. I have plenty of FM databases with just one or two tables and maybe just a few hundred records.

From a price point of view, that depends. FM costs significantly more than what Bento did, so you'd need to crunch the numbers.

And therein lies the problem. What application cost-effectively services the smaller (and non-commercial) database market?

And while I'm here, does FM have a Table View similar to what Bento 4 for iPad did?

BradTaylor
28th August 2014, 09:32 PM
And therein lies the problem. What application cost-effectively services the smaller (and non-commercial) database market?

And while I'm here, does FM have a Table View similar to what Bento 4 for iPad did?

Hi Kerr: yes, FM does have table view, in both FM Pro and FM Go. Attached is a screenshot from an iPhone 5 of table view in FM Go.

Not sure I know enough about cheaper alternatives to FM to be able to recommend any, I'm afraid.

kerr
28th August 2014, 11:12 PM
Thanks. Did you forget the screenshot?

MacTalk
29th August 2014, 09:21 AM
Hi Kerr,

We had a few issues with the uploader. I have added the image now.

Regards,
Jonathan

kerr
29th August 2014, 10:20 AM
:slant: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator