PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with VPNs

Nevets_Anderson
1st August 2014, 04:22 PM
Hay great to to see Filemaker supporting the community!

I've been using FMP since version 3 - I find it great on local networks but I have had trouble running it over vpn's in the past - be interested to se if anyone has any ideas on dealing with that .... other wise it's a great platform - love to see something about the php to filemaker server options as well - having once worked / ported FMP to web with clmd (I'm showing my age hear!) it's something I'd like to come up to speed with.

Cheers

Nevets

dan0
3rd August 2014, 05:07 PM
FileMaker have constantly improved the network performance. I use VPNs very successfully all the time on (versions 11 to 13) and only have trouble if the VPN goes down. It is a problem if your VPN is a bit intermittent but if the connection is stable all is well. Searches on large unindexed fields are usually noticeably slower due to the lower bandwidth but mostly I can live with that.

If you are having problems even with the later versions (due to speed or reliability of the VPN), your other options are either to use WebDirect in FileMaker version 13 which emulates FileMaker in a browser (where the server does nearly all the work) or to use a terminal server like Citrix which sits on your LAN and has FileMaker installed, sending only the screen and keyboard/mouse information over the VPN connection.

Nevets_Anderson
8th August 2014, 08:52 AM
Brad - the big problem was performance - running scripts - layouts with complex relationships which drew upon other tables etc just locked up and often timed out... I did find a work around which may be useful to other people I had an old machine - I ran this at the local branch and it was a lot quicker for people who were doing heavy lifting just to vpn to that local branch machine then run the FMP scripts and reports etc that they needed. I think the up shot of all this is we need the NBN! :-) But thats another story!

BradTaylor
10th August 2014, 08:11 PM
Brad - the big problem was performance - running scripts - layouts with complex relationships which drew upon other tables etc just locked up and often timed out... I did find a work around which may be useful to other people I had an old machine - I ran this at the local branch and it was a lot quicker for people who were doing heavy lifting just to vpn to that local branch machine then run the FMP scripts and reports etc that they needed. I think the up shot of all this is we need the NBN! :-) But thats another story!

Hi Nevets,

Right - yes, NBN would do it. In the meantime I do what dan0 suggests and run FM Pro on a terminal server close to the server. Makes a huge difference in performance.

Brad