PDA

View Full Version : Enough screen damage to replace the LCD?

Orestes
26th July 2014, 06:39 PM
I need some thoughts on this stuff. It's coming up on my screen when the LCD is on, and the screen is black, I'm wondering whether its enough to ask Apple at this point to replace my screen entirely on my Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro. Check out the red lines around where the cursor is :footinmouth:

http://i.imgur.com/SVPvNBB.jpg

glacierdave
27th July 2014, 08:07 AM
The image is too small, and lacking in scale/context, to really offer any opinions.

There's no harm in asking Apple though, I guess.

David

Orestes
27th July 2014, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately this website scales images... If you right click on it and actually view the image you'll get a better perspective. I took it to Apple today and they are going to replace the screen.

Orestes
30th July 2014, 08:11 PM
So I found out today it wasn't just the LCD they replaced, they didn't even bother. Apple just went ahead and replaced the entire top case. It seems when you have an issue they don't do things by halves.

The_Hawk
30th July 2014, 08:52 PM
So I found out today it wasn't just the LCD they replaced, they didn't even bother. Apple just went ahead and replaced the entire top case. It seems when you have an issue they don't do things by halves.

I believe the MacBook Air of that era is glued in place so it's all or nothing. Given the thin-ness of the display it's not a huge surprise. Probably more cost efficient to just swap the whole things than screw about trying to replace the individual parts.

Orestes
30th July 2014, 08:59 PM
I was just surprised to see this done on a MacBook Pro. That said, I now have a screen with uniform blacks across the screen and no other issues to speak of. The difference is night and day, and this screen has better contrast to boot. I can't honestly believe I was putting up with a defective screen for so long.

Back2Bedlam
30th July 2014, 10:12 PM
I believe the MacBook Air of that era is glued in place so it's all or nothing. Given the thin-ness of the display it's not a huge surprise. Probably more cost efficient to just swap the whole things than screw about trying to replace the individual parts.

A couple of years ago I took my 17" MBP (Late 2011) into the Apple Store to get them to look at a squeaky hinge, left it with them for a couple of days, came back, they had replaced the whole display!

Orestes
31st July 2014, 01:34 AM
I overheard them talking about iPhones the other day and one of the genius bar staff said "We don't even bother with screens anymore, we replace the whole unit on the spot."

Seems like its policy to not even bother with LCD screens anymore, I can't say it was the same case with my original 2008 model 13" aluminum unibody MacBook.

Oldmacs
31st July 2014, 03:07 AM
I think that's been the way for quite a while, as my iPod touch had this in 2010 (full unit replacement) and my ipad twice in 2012.

The_Hawk
31st July 2014, 10:34 PM
Have they ever repaired iPhones??

I had a genius say to me a few months ago that "normally we just replace the screen... but we will just swap it out for a new one today..."
(by which he meant refurb)

AFAIK it's the *only* option...???

Or am I wrong?